PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a cross draw holster.

warboar_21
07-12-2014, 06:21 PM
I recently purchased a Blackhawk and would like a cross draw style holster for it. I am looking for one that either sits full horizontal or as near as possible. Would also prefer non cowboy styles if possible. Everything I have seen so far puts the gun near vertical with a slight rake to them.
Any one know if such a thing exists and where I might look? I appreciate any help given.
The gun is 4 5/8ths and looking for a left handed holster.

bedbugbilly
07-12-2014, 06:47 PM
I'm guessing that it may be difficult to find a cross draw holster that has the "cant" you are looking for. I make holsters as a hobby (not for others) and one of the problems you run in to is the belt width you are wearing it on and the belt loop on the holster . . . i.e. a 1 1/2" belt and a cross draw holster with say a 2 or 2 1/2" belt loop would allow you to "can't" the holster but the weight of the pistol, balance of the pistol and your movements would soon move the position of the holster to where it is not "canted" like you want.

An alternative would be to have someone make you a holster and design it so that the belt loop is sized to the belt width that you wear . . . constructed so that it "cants" in the position that yo want it.

One of the questions that would probably be asked is "why do you want it horizontal". When you "cross draw", it's really not a "natural" position to move you hand over and pull the pistol straight across as in parallel to your belt. It's more "natural" to reach over and draw in an angular pull.

Of course your intended use comes in to play . . . if you are thinking of the primary carry position being more convenient when you are sitting in a car / truck seat, then a more horizontal draw may work better.

I'm not aware of anyone making a commercial holster as you describe . . . doesn't mean that some company isn't. Perhaps someone will come along and be able to tell you where to get one that will be just the berries for you.

If you end up having to have one made . . . go over to CAS City site and do an inquiry under the leather shop forum. There are a number of good leatherworkers over there that make holsters for others and I'm sure you could find someone who could make up just what you want.

Good luck!

Sweetpea
07-12-2014, 06:55 PM
You don't see these holsters much, I'm guessing due to the people behind you not being real happy about where the muzzle is pointing...

ironhead7544
07-12-2014, 08:09 PM
Check with Andrews Custom Leather.

warboar_21
07-12-2014, 08:34 PM
Thanks for the replies. I am wanting the cross draw from about the 1 O`clock position and not on my right hip. This way it would be faster drawing and I could sit comfortably while driving or camping and it wouldn't interfere if wearing a pack when hiking. I have seen them for semi auto pistols and small J frame pistols but never for a SAA style pistol. I normally wear an 1.5" belt so it would need to fit that.

revolvergeek
07-12-2014, 08:45 PM
Freedom Arms sells some that lay way over. A buddy of mine picked up one for riding the four wheeler. You might check them out.

rintinglen
07-12-2014, 10:18 PM
Bianchi used to make a very good cross draw holster and Desantis made a holster similar to what you describe for small frame guns but I have not seen a holster quite like you describe. Assuming the belt buckle to be 12 o'clock, You seem to want a holster that you wear over your right front pants pocket. That doesn't seem very workable to me, even with a radical slant. The shortest barreled Blackhawks have 3 1/2 inch barrels, the more practical ones have barrels ranging up to 7 1/2 inches. You want a single action revolver aiming across your belly? That seems unwise.

W.R.Buchanan
07-12-2014, 10:42 PM
I have a Triple K #787 Crossdraw for that gun but it is for a right handed shooter.

This was not an expensive holster and I think it was maybe $35 Fits the gun well. This picture has my SBH 5" Bisley in it however it will hold my 4 5/8" BH Bisley exactly the same way. (Current price is $89)

The gun is held at the angle shown in the picture or basically 45 degrees in relation to your belt. It will swallow a 2" wide belt.

It uses a loop over the hammer spur to positively retain the gun but the gun will stay in it pretty well by itself.

It sounds to me that this is exactly what you're looking for except in a left hand version.

http://www.triplek.com/ In Western Holsters.

If not then I would look to Bob Mernickle as he has many cross draw designs for revolvers. They will be in the $80-150 range also but I feel they are a better quality product made custom for you and your gun, and in finishes that are as plain or ornate as you want them.

http://www.mernickleholsters.com/index.htm Look at a Field Carry 3 or FC3 as it is very close to what you are asking for. It is a "Hard Crossdraw" meaning it is at a lower angle (more horizontal.)

The other two pics are of my Mernickle (Old Style FC3 No Longer made) It will do both cross and strong side carry. However it works best strong side.

Hope some of this helps.

Randy

doc1876
07-12-2014, 10:45 PM
.are you looking for something like Robert Culp wore in Hannie Caulder? if so I can probably help p.m. If you're interested

warboar_21
07-13-2014, 12:03 AM
rintinglen Now that you mentioned Bianchi and Desantis I think it was one of those that my friend had. Since I am left handed I put next to nothing in my right front pocket so putting my hand in and out of there isn't a concern. Seeing how it is a single action Ruger with the transfer bar the chance of an accidental discharge is low. I do not plan on cocking the hammer until the gun is drawn. The barrel should be clear of my belly since the grip frame would be right of my belt buckle. That should put the barrel clear of my body or near enough.

warboar_21
07-13-2014, 12:20 AM
Randy,
The Mernickle FC3 looks like it has enough cant in it that would work. While it's not exactly what I was looking for but would work if I couldn't find what I wanted.

Doc,
thanks for the movie reference. I had to look it up on imfdb and while I drooled over Raquel for quite awhile I did see something very close to what I was looking for. I can't seem to upload the picture but the picture title is Price's(Robert Culp) Revolver. He has his on his gun belt but i'm sure it would fit just fine on a regular belt.

doc1876
07-13-2014, 09:34 AM
I have a good friend who is a holster collector, and I he has that pattern. A 4 5/8 what, Colt/ Ruger, no problem, I would suggest lined and maybe even a rawhide inner liner ( the fast draw crowd uses a steel liner, and the COWS guys use a rawhide, this keeps the holster shape better) he is also a holster maker, and I am sure you would be happy with his work. If you check out anything Hollywood by Ojola or Anderson, this is the style and quality he is known for. Just let me know, and I will "hook you up".

Double B
07-13-2014, 09:46 AM
I use a Bianchi Cyclone for an n frame. A little different ballgame but check their offerings, they may have something you're looking for.

rintinglen
07-13-2014, 05:11 PM

rintinglen Now that you mentioned Bianchi and Desantis I think it was one of those that my friend had. Since I am left handed I put next to nothing in my right front pocket so putting my hand in and out of there isn't a concern. Seeing how it is a single action Ruger with the transfer bar the chance of an accidental discharge is low. I do not plan on cocking the hammer until the gun is drawn. The barrel should be clear of my belly since the grip frame would be right of my belt buckle. That should put the barrel clear of my body or near enough.

Doh, I missed the left-handed part.
There are many makers out there who can fix you up. Galco made something like that, Safariland made something similar. The one on the right is one I made for myself to fit a 5 inch K-frame revolver. It is an excellent method of carrying a longer-barreled revolver and anybody at all handy with leather can fix you up, There is a guy on this board that goes by something like whyte leather who does good work at fair prices. (I don't make stuff except as gifts--hand-sewing is very time consuming.)

Cornbread
07-14-2014, 10:40 AM
Have you considered a cross draw chest holster? These are a little spendy but they are the bomb for camping, hunting ,horse back riding, flying, driving, canoeing, boating etc. I also really like them for backpacking because my pack interferes with a normal waist holster. Anytime you are seated or are often going between standing and seated but still need fast access to your gun: http://www.diamonddcustomleather.com/Chest_Holsters.php

I'm sure there are other places that make the same thing cheaper if the price on those is too high, but chest holsters in general if they are of good quality work great.

warboar_21
07-14-2014, 09:59 PM
Cornbread,
I hadn't thought of using a chest rig. That would certainly work but so far I am liking this one the best. Or at least something similar.

http://www.imfdb.org/images/thumb/d/d9/Price%27s_revolver.JPG/800px-Price%27s_revolver.JPG

doc1876
07-15-2014, 09:14 AM
Yes, if I was facing that, I would want my gun sticking out and ready too.

rintinglen
07-15-2014, 11:14 AM
http://Mikeylikes44s@yahoo.com Is a member here who does custom leatherwork also. Ah ms Welch--she appeared often in my adolescent fantasies, and is still a fine looking woman.

Groo
07-15-2014, 01:24 PM
Groo here
Look at Simple rugged holsters.
They have cross draws and chest harness.

warboar_21
07-15-2014, 04:50 PM

I think my gun is sticking out

warboar_21
07-16-2014, 03:30 PM
*UPDATE*

So last night I was digging around in the reloading room/office for documents and opened up a box that had a new triple K holster in it for a 4 5/8" single action. I forgot I bought it several years ago. I tried fastening it to my belt sideways like how it is in the picture of post #16 (Price's revolver). I think I am going to abandon the search for this method of carry. I really didn't like the way it balanced or how it felt when seated. So I may look at a more traditional cross draw style holster.

Fishman
07-16-2014, 07:59 PM

I think that mode of carry might chafe.

doc1876
08-08-2014, 05:18 PM
My friend Bob just got this last week, so I wanted to share it with you.
This is a one of a kind Arval Ojola made for fast draw competition in 1959 or so. Used by a guy that was a dentist, and they had to rewrite the rules because of him and this holster.

DougGuy
08-08-2014, 05:28 PM
I use a Blackhawk size2 nylon holster with a 4 5/8" Vaquero, I wear it cross draw, there is enough room in the loop for it to sit nicely on the left hip and be ready if I am sitting in a tree stand or driving. The weight of the gun's butt flops it into a pretty good cross draw. I only use it hunting and on the range and it works great. You can usually find these in the close out bins or maybe on ebay. Not sure about a lefty.

With a 1 1/2" belt and the weight of the grip frame, this would flop over into a nice crossdraw for you.

http://www.blackhawk.com/product/Hip-Holster,958,34.htm

http://i1202.photobucket.com/albums/bb374/DougGuy/Birdshead%20Vaquero/DSC01553_zps99abc801.jpg (http://s1202.photobucket.com/user/DougGuy/media/Birdshead%20Vaquero/DSC01553_zps99abc801.jpg.html)

http://i1202.photobucket.com/albums/bb374/DougGuy/Birdshead%20Vaquero/DSC01554_zps2322ee53.jpg (http://s1202.photobucket.com/user/DougGuy/media/Birdshead%20Vaquero/DSC01554_zps2322ee53.jpg.html)

WALLNUTT
08-08-2014, 05:33 PM
You got a 4 5/8" on that Birdshead DougGuy?

DougGuy
08-12-2014, 09:57 PM
Yup, Ruger did it!