PDA

View Full Version : Taller front Mauser sight

richhodg66
07-12-2014, 02:00 PM
So I have this little Mexican cavalry carbine my brother brought back from the dead for me while he was in gunsmithing school (he named it "the Lazarus rifle"). I've finally gotten around to shooting it and am pleased with the groups with cast given the less than stellar issue trigger, imprecise issue sights and very short sight radius.

Only problem is it hits way high at 25 and 50 yards with the mild load I've shot in it so far (Lee 135 grain bullet and 9.5 grains of Unique). The rear sight is on its lowest setting. I want it to stay as close to military configuration as possible, so I guess my question is are all the '98 Mauser front sights about the same height or could I find one that was taller, but would still look correct and bring the point of impact down some?

Outpost75
07-12-2014, 02:51 PM
Brownell's sells an extra-high, file to zero, Mauser blade sight. About $15

http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/sights/front-sights/mauser-front-sight-blank-prod341.aspx

richhodg66
07-12-2014, 02:52 PM
That may be what I need to do. I'll look at Brownell's sight.

Larry Gibson
07-12-2014, 03:13 PM
So I have this little Mexican cavalry carbine my brother brought back from the dead for me while he was in gunsmithing school (he named it "the Lazarus rifle"). I've finally gotten around to shooting it and am pleased with the groups with cast given the less than stellar issue trigger, imprecise issue sights and very short sight radius.

Only problem is it hits way high at 25 and 50 yards with the mild load I've shot in it so far (Lee 135 grain bullet and 9.5 grains of Unique). The rear sight is on its lowest setting. I want it to stay as close to military configuration as possible, so I guess my question is are all the '98 Mauser front sights about the same height or could I find one that was taller, but would still look correct and bring the point of impact down some?

Yes the front sights on Mausers came in different heights. What height depended on the model of Mauser, the cartridge, the bullet, the velocity, the rears sight lowest zero, the particular aiming point used, the sight radii, etc. etc. etc..........

Good news is the dovetails in the front sight base is pretty standard. You could look around gunshows and older real gunshops and find various heights but from the really high POI I'd say the Brownell's or modify yours is the real choices you have. If you want to keep it "correct looking" with the barley corn front sight (the Brownell's is a post) I suggest you take the sight off and have it built up by welding and the file down as you zero it so the POA = the POI. Once the height is correct then file the sides back to the barley corn shape and cold blue and oil well. I've done numerous Mausers that way and it's not hard to do at all.

Larry Gibson

Multigunner
07-12-2014, 03:20 PM
A reversible method is to silver solder a shot piece of brass wire to the top of the blade, then file that to leave a polished brass dot as a bead.
Should you want to return the sight to OEM just heat the brass and pull it off clear away remaining solder and touch up with cold blue.

Where does it print when using full power period loads or the equivalent?

richhodg66
07-12-2014, 04:29 PM
Haven't tried any full power loads, this will be a plinker. Long story short, my dad got it in a trade years ago and it was an absolute junk rifle; had been painted gloss black, the safety didn't work, the bore only had an inch or two where anything that looked like rifling was even visible and had huge craters (goes beyond pits) in in the bore. I liked it and it was, after all, an FN Belgian action that seemed sound so it sat in a closet for years while I figured out what to do with it. I preferred to return it to condition rather than sporterize it, so my younger brother went to gunsmithing school and needed a few project guns to work on so I gave him this one and bought a new manufacture barrel with the right steps and contour and he pretty much revived it from the dead using most of the original parts, but the barrel is new, not Mauser and slugs correctly at .284.

I've always liked the 7x57mm and had a lot of brass, dies, etc., so I think this will be a fun range toy, I'd just like it to stay on paper with moderate cast loads out to 100 yards or so. Lots of good advice here, I think I'll look around and see if I can find a taller original front, barring that, it looks like the Brownells one mentioned could be contoured down to look right and still be taller. I kind of like the idea of the brass topper, that would be easiest and would make things more visible, but I think I'll try to keep it close to military for now.