PDA

View Full Version : Digital scales

ohiogriff
07-12-2014, 05:02 AM
Been reloading for over 45 years, always relied on my redding balance beam scales. Guess i'm tired of waiting for the thing to zero. Looking for suggestions for a decent digital scale that won't delay my retirement to pay it off. Thanks

who says you can't teach an old dog new tricks

Dan Cash
07-12-2014, 08:52 AM
Myweigh scales. I would have to go to the shop to get the modle number but my set has been flawless since about 2002. I think they still sell for about $130.00. Battery and plug in capable but I have seldom used them in battery mode.

country gent
07-12-2014, 10:13 AM
I have a gempro not sure on moldel there are 2 reads in 5 diffrent wieghts. In grains it reads to .02 grains. Comes with case power adapter anti vibration pad pan ( plastic I replaced with an rcbs pan.) . Has been a very accurate unit so far. Was just over 100.00.

ohiogriff
07-12-2014, 12:16 PM
Thanks guys, much appreciated.

nhrifle
07-12-2014, 09:51 PM
The Frankford Arsenal pocket scale works well. I use mine for weighing projectiles, swaging components, and for when I want to load a couple test rounds. If it had an AC plug I would use it for more lengthy periods of time.

Pb2au
07-14-2014, 07:49 AM
I also use the Frankford scale. Being the skeptical critter I am, I double checked it against my balance beam scale and found it to be spot on. So, unless gravity is broken in Ohio, it seems to be a good piece of kit.

foesgth
07-15-2014, 03:44 PM
I also have one of the less expensive digital scales. It is accurate but, mine seems to not update right away. When using it for dispensing a charge one needs to wait after trickling a bit of powder for it to update. I finally got a Lyman DPS dispensing scale and it is the greatest. Set it for auto repeat and your next charge is waiting for you after seating your boolit.

jmort
07-15-2014, 04:10 PM
There are two scales that are worth considering, both around $150.00. The GEM 250 and the one Brian Enos is selling with lifetime warranty. Accurate to .02 grains.
http://brianenos.com/store/be.scale_pd.html

Alvin
07-15-2014, 05:46 PM
Just a word of advice on any digital scale regardless of cost or quality. Keep any cell phone, wifi, or digital signals away from it. It will throw off your readings.

Artful
07-16-2014, 08:53 PM
Just a word of advice on any digital scale regardless of cost or quality. Keep any cell phone, wifi, or digital signals away from it. It will throw off your readings.
florescent desk lamps can be an issue as well - Oh, and ceiling fans [smilie=b:

TXGunNut
07-19-2014, 07:27 PM
May be a bit more than you want to spend but I love my RCBS Chargemaster. Dispenses the exact amount of powder I want while I seat the boolit over the previous charge. I have a PACT scale as well but I think it's a bit too fussy and easily confused/distracted.

chsparkman
07-19-2014, 07:42 PM
May be a bit more than you want to spend but I love my RCBS Chargemaster. Dispenses the exact amount of powder I want while I seat the boolit over the previous charge. I have a PACT scale as well but I think it's a bit too fussy and easily confused/distracted.

Yep, me too. I've had my Chargemaster for about a year and I absolutely love it. I no longer dread working up test loads.

dragonrider
07-19-2014, 08:01 PM
I bought a Lyman years ago, was waste of money, still use my RCBS 505.

Ickisrulz
07-19-2014, 09:48 PM
I have used a Frankford Arsenal for a few years and it has worked well and consistently. I always double check powder charges with a beam though when setting the Uniflow.

Pepe Ray
07-20-2014, 01:34 PM
I got a PACT from Dillon many years ago. At the time there were only a few brands available. Even tho I'm
known locally as a cheap skate (thrifty?) The PACT was not the least expensive, but close.
I always read the enclosed instructions soooo, I proceeded to enjoy the scale as I got used to the differences from
my 1005.
By this time we've had many power failures ( various reasons) and I thought my scale had been fried.
Nope!! Called the PACT teck support, they talked me thru a reset program (copied down the instructions JIC) and I've
been good to go ever since. Over the years I've needed to reset the scale a few times,but it's always come thru for me.

Note; There are differences that become simple when you can grasp that trying to fine tune 0.1 grain into 0.01 units is
impossible with any electronic scale. Fortunately it is an un necessary act. IE, talk to the bench rest crowd.

Good luck
Pepe Ray

AlaskanGuy
07-20-2014, 03:50 PM
I use a couple of them..... Here is My 2 cents...

Get one that has a Tare Function, and make sure if you get a battery powered one, be sure to get one that uses double A or Triple A batteries.. I use rechargable batteries on mine, and just love it and that tare function... My first Digital scale used the flat penny sized batteries, CR209 If memory serves, and they just suck. hard to get, cant recharge, and dont last long..... I replaced it with the Frankford Arsenal Reloading Scale... The scale fits great in my range bag with my Lee hand press.... and in a few min I am reloading at the range with the best of them.. I have tested mine extensively, and and it is really spot on with my Balance Beam Scale... Enough so I trust it completely.... I do still check it with the balance scale enough to let me know that it is still spot on, and I have a 50G weight that I can use to calibrate it....

Here is a link to the one that I use... http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/291174214082?lpid=82

AG

TXGunNut
07-21-2014, 10:30 PM
Speaking of batteries my first PACT was powered by a 9V battery. Most 9V batteries didn't have enough juice to power it up, let alone last thru a decent reloading session. I replaced it with a 110V version as soon as they became available.

leadman
07-22-2014, 03:29 AM
My wife bought me a PACT about 15 years ago. Been back to them 3 times for repair. Last time took about 3 1/2 months and it still is not right. The also did not put a new warranty seal on it. I called them and they said it doesn't make much difference. From what the guy on the phone was saying they laid off a bunch of the crew and are sending some repairs out.

I bought a new Lyman 2000? model and it works great. Much better than the PACT even when it was new.

Alablam
07-22-2014, 03:04 PM
You might actually be happier with the speed and accuracy with the Redding. A tenth of a grain I believe is about 0.0065 g which is a very small mass. Having worked in labs I know that balances that can weigh this small amount are quite sensitive to environmental conditions. Since the balance is measuring force exerted on the pan, the cycling of air-conditioners, opening and closing windows, and other environmental effects will affect your measurements. I've got a small sensitive top loader electronic balance that bounces all over the place in a home setting unless it is covered by a bowl to cut off wind currents. The magnetic dampening of the balance beam scale "averages" the inputs and will settle out, but the measurements can be affected by a tenth or three. My wife opening a window somewhere else in the house can noticeably change the zero of my Redding and it seems on dry days the powder weight my measure throws decreases over time and on humid days the weight increases a tenth or two depending on the powder.

silverado
07-22-2014, 03:20 PM
I gotta recommend the frankford arsenal. I replaced my lee scale with it and couldn't imagine having to go back to using a beam scale. The tare function just makes checking cases too easy and the battery is still good after 1.5-2 years I have had it.

FLHTC
07-22-2014, 08:53 PM
I have a Lyman 2000 and use nothing else. I use digital scales at work and know they need a dedicated circuit so that's what its on.

TXGunNut
07-22-2014, 09:28 PM
Whatever you do don't get rid of the balance beam scale. Every now and then you just need to see the needle go up and down.

doc1876
07-23-2014, 02:30 PM
I am new to this, so I am not the "authority", however, I have a Cabela's XT 1500 Digital Scale, and am very happy with it,. I can hit tare, and can weigh loaded rounds, empty cases, or bullets, boolets or anything in between. the 9v batt has lasted about a year with monthly use, an the thing does not take up much space. I like that it is green, because everything else on the table is red.