PDA

View Full Version : Linotype in Oregon

fatelk
07-12-2014, 01:02 AM
Anyone in the Portland area looking for linotype? I hope I'm not out of line posting this here; I didn't put it in S&S because I'm not selling anything. I just ran across this on Craigslist and thought I'd mention it in case anyone was in the area and looking.

Supposedly linotytpe for 1.20/lb, if I was closer and needed some I'd be interested - http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/mat/4557010246.html

dale2242
07-12-2014, 06:52 AM
I am a bit skeptical.
I have never had linotype oxidize like the ingots pictured.
My guess is that it is not linotype.
Soft lead maybe.....dale

RogerDat
07-12-2014, 11:18 AM
The seller is claiming the Lyman ingots (with oxidation) are Lino but that the entire batch is a mixture of Lino and soft lead ingots. Whole thing for $1.20 a pound. So without knowing how many of the total lbs. are lino and how many lbs. are plain hard to say if it is a good deal or not without that information.

fatelk
07-12-2014, 11:41 AM
Yea, I see what you are saying. I didn't look real close. The lino I have (in bars) definitely has a different look to it. That is a bit much for mystery lead.

If I was an hour closer I might go take a look, maybe make a low offer on it all if I could afford it. Then again I already have several hundred pounds of good lino in bars and no real need for more lead.

Someone in close driving range might be able to make a good deal on a big pile of lead though. I've seen people put big prices on things before, then get desperate and dump it cheap. I've also seen people sit on their overpriced junk forever.

I had an acquaintance try to sell me a nice S&W revolver one time years ago. He wanted about new price. I told him I didn't need it and couldn't pay that much. He said make an offer. I told him I wouldn't be able to offer him what it was actually worth and I didn't want to insult him.

I found out a few days later that he went down to the LGS and gave it away for pennies on the dollar. :(

KohlerK91
07-12-2014, 12:09 PM
I had an acquaintance try to sell me a nice S&W revolver one time years ago. He wanted about new price. I told him I didn't need it and couldn't pay that much. He said make an offer. I told him I wouldn't be able to offer him what it was actually worth and I didn't want to insult him.

I found out a few days later that he went down to the LGS and gave it away for pennies on the dollar. :(

Money Talks $$$$$ and usually SERIOUS buyers will make offers. That doesnt mean it will be accepted , but you never know.

I can't tell how many times i have sold on the forum to offers submitted by PM's.

KohlerK91
07-12-2014, 12:17 PM
I bought lino that turned dark like that a while ago. Though not for 1.20/lb ☺

If the four ingots are cast together, just drop them on the ground, they should break apart.

runfiverun
07-12-2014, 12:39 PM
I wouldn't be paying 1.20 a pound.
but I'd be interested enough to make an offer of about half of what they are asking if I were 6-700 miles closer.

RogerDat
07-13-2014, 02:48 AM
Most folks find it mighty hard to turn down that cash you are holding in your hand for a better offer that may not happen. I try to figure what I would be willing to pay and put that right in front of the seller. If it's not enough then the deal won't work but it is surprising how many times a sure thing stack of $20 bills makes my offer the right price.

And yes there are people that would rather keep something they don't want and have priced way above its market value but nothing you can do about those folks except move on and leave them a phone number in case they come to their senses.

On that lead if your paying more than the scrap dealer will then who knows might be able to swing a deal.

remiller
07-17-2014, 10:20 AM
The seller is claiming the Lyman ingots (with oxidation) are Lino but that the entire batch is a mixture of Lino and soft lead ingots. Whole thing for $1.20 a pound. So without knowing how manI am noty of the total lbs. are lino and how many lbs. are plain hard to say if it is a good deal or not without that information.
I have 1800 pounds of lino from printer's sheets that I cast into 1-lb bars. I would be willing to part with it, since I don't do much shooting or casting anymore.

remiller
07-17-2014, 10:27 AM
The seller is claiming the Lyman ingots (with oxidation) are Lino but that the entire batch is a mixture of Lino and soft lead ingots. Whole thing for $1.20 a pound. So without knowing how many of the total lbs. are lino and how many lbs. are plain hard to say if it is a good deal or not without that information.
I have 1800 pounds of lino in 1-lb bars that I cast from printer's sheets. I don't think I am ever going to use it. I would like to get rid of it if anyone is interested. I used to do a lot of casting (.45 and .44mag) but I have gotten away from it these past few years.

Beagle333
07-17-2014, 10:32 AM
I wrote to them and asked if they would sell and ship a SFR box of it for me to try out.... but they said they were not interested in shipping.

remiller
07-17-2014, 11:05 AM
I wrote to them and asked if they would sell and ship a SFR box of it for me to try out.... but they said they were not interested in shipping.
I apologize for not being clearer in my original post.
I am looking to sell large quantities of the lino, all of it if you wish.
It makes the most sense if you drive up and get it.
Once again, my apologies.

Beagle333
07-17-2014, 11:16 AM
remiller: That wasn't in response to your post. I wrote to the folks in the OP's craigslist ad. :coffeecom

I had written to those people a couple of days ago.
Good luck to you in your sale. :D