PDA

View Full Version : Gun Show Marlin.

Uncle R.
01-21-2008, 02:43 PM
I went to the Fond du Lac WI show yesterday and ran into a fellow who was trying to sell a Marlin. It was a 336 in .30-30 and it was a rifle, not a carbine. Pistol grip stock, half magazine tube, long barrel, big wide forend and HEAVY. The barrel had conventional looking rifling. It was definite.ly NOT a Micro-groove barrel. Guy claimed it was old and it looked and felt like it. I know very little about Marlins but it obviously can't be REALLY old 'cause it's a round bolt 336.
Condition was maybe 60 -70% with shiny edges and most of the bluing wear at the carrying points. Stock finish maybe 90% with some patchy looking spots and a few not-too-bad nicks and scrapes. Overall a well-used but cared for rifle, with a smooth tight action. Not a new cowboy rifle - it looked like a gun that was fifty years old, carried and hunted with many times. I wanted it 'cause it was long and heavy and NOT micro-groove, but being ignorant of Marlin values I wasn't sure just how BADLY I wanted it. :roll:
He said the dealers were offering him three hundred or thereabouts and he wanted five. I would've given the three but I was nervous about going higher 'cause of my ignorance. I'm guessing maybe four or four-fifty would've taken it home. I had cash in my pocket, but I walked away.
It was a nice rifle - I liked it much better than the standard 20" carbines that seem to grow on every bush here in Wisconsin. The big question is... How much was it worth? Did I miss a good chance due to my ignorance? (It wouldn't be the first time!)
Uncle R.

Dr. A
01-21-2008, 03:27 PM
A year or so ago on one of the online auctions, there were a number of ADL model 336's going for 700 or above. These were the duluxe models all in the NIB condition. I picked up two 336A's from the pre microgroove era (pre 1956) and got both for 250 to 300$. One was as you describe, and the other in nearly new condition except for someone's initial's carved in the buttstock.:twisted:

It all comes down to what are you comfortable in paying? I have a buddy that had me find him a 32 special. It was of more recent manufacture, and a microgroove. It looked pretty good, but brought about 340 bucks as I remember. 500 bucks would have been too much in my opinion. It also matters where you happen to be. No one will pay big bucks for a lever around here.

beemer
01-21-2008, 06:52 PM
What you found was a 336A, made from about 48-55. I bought one about a year ago for about $310 plus tax. Mine was a closet queen, it had been handled and kicked around but fired very little. There was some pits on the barrel in front of the mag tube and finish wear on the toe of the stock. Inside it was new looking. There wasn't even any blue wear on the screw that the lever runs on. Sometimes I will pay a few dollars extra for exactly what I want but $500 seems to high. I bought that one because of the rifling and the long barrel but most people just see an old Marlin.

beemer

johnly
01-21-2008, 08:58 PM
I have an early 50's 336A in 35 Remington and it's a shooter:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=24067

$500 is $150 more than the rifle is worth given your discription.

John

Lloyd Smale
01-22-2008, 08:48 AM
Ive got a 336adl that was dads go to rifle for many years. Its one of the finest made and best shooting lever guns ive ever owned. Id say a minty one would easily bring 500 bucks but a shooter is probably worth somewhere in the 350-400 dollar range and there a steal at that price for what your getting. Id love to luck into a deal on a matching one in .35 some day at a give away price!!

Uncle R.
01-22-2008, 10:59 AM
I have an early 50's 336A in 35 Remington and it's a shooter:

John

Yep - I looked at the pictures on your thread and that's the rifle. Thanks to all of you for your input - it looks like I did the right thing by walking. That feller must have thought that I looked like Santa Claus...
That 336A is a nice rifle - I think I'll keep my eyes open and with luck I may stumble across one for a reasonable price some day.

6pt-sika
01-22-2008, 02:43 PM
I have five 336SC's which are the same thing as a 336A . The only difference being the "A" has a 24" barrel and the SC's have 20" barrels.

Anyway my first SC was a 1952 vintage 35 REM that is easily 95% , and I paid $250 for that one about 5 years ago .
I got a 336SC in 32 Special that was also made in 1952 that I paid $400 and this one is about 90% .
I have a 336SC of 1950 vintage in 30-30 that I gave $325 for and the gun is also about 90% .
My latest is a 1964 vintage in 30-30 that came with a nice redfield peep for $350 shipped . This rifle however is about 80% .
My last and most expensive SC is my 219 Zipper that was made in 1959 and is about 92% , this one however was over $700 [smilie=1:

Around here SC's and A's bribg pretty much the same price depending on condition !