PDA

View Full Version : barrel sweated in bake oven???

nekshot
07-11-2014, 01:28 PM
Now what? I had everything in the sun, warm to touch sprayed Browenells SS paint on it and stuck in the oven while family is away and the after 30 minutes turned it off took a peek inside and the chamber end of barrel is covered in water. Live and learn! Any simple ideas?

DeanWinchester
07-11-2014, 01:35 PM
Leave it in there on low heat. Won't take long to dry. See what it looks like after it cools. It's possible you may end up with a custom finish that's cool and unique....not to mention impossible to replicate.

monadnock#5
07-12-2014, 06:57 AM
Humidity is a real witch. Next time, preheat your oven to 190°F for ten or fifteen minutes after it reaches the set temp. Now put your parts in and let them heat soak for at least fifteen minutes. This will not affect the temper as long as you keep it under 200°F MAX.

A large object with a simple geometry, a tire rim for example, will dry much faster than an equal weight of densely packed steel washers.

nekshot
07-12-2014, 08:10 AM
It was very uneven color from the water so I resanded and sprayed again and it looks good. I am going to put it on the dash in the sun on the ole pick-up. Any one know of other places to get ss color spray other than Browenells? I like it but the header paint at the auto store is as good and only a 1/4 of the price. They have a aluminum color I might try with misting the last coat to give it a dull look. I kinda like these sprays on these ole bubba specials!