PDA

View Full Version : Dumb noob sizing question

theTastyCat
07-10-2014, 05:37 PM
Hey all - about to begin PCing. I've only sized boolits with my Lube-a-matic I, and of course lube is not needed when PCing. I apologize for such a noob question, but I'm having trouble finding a good answer - what do I need to size but not lube? Seems like boolits would just get stuck in the Lube-a-matic with no lube...

Many thanks all!

ipijohn
07-10-2014, 06:09 PM
I have used Lee push through sizers for years for everything including PC.

sasquatch76
07-10-2014, 06:54 PM
^Yep, the Lee sizing dies are what I use.

RP
07-10-2014, 07:36 PM
I use my lyman 4500 just remove the center of the sizing die and the bottom stop adjustment and push the PC bullets all the way threw the die. I just put a tray to catch them not much trouble as it sounds.

prickett
07-10-2014, 07:37 PM
+1 on using Lee push thru sizing dies.

Also, mounting the press (also a Lee) upside down further speeds up the process. No more careful positioning the boolit on the cylinder... instead, drop it nose down into the sizer die.

Spawn-Inc
07-10-2014, 08:37 PM
I use my lyman 4500 just remove the center of the sizing die and the bottom stop adjustment and push the PC bullets all the way threw the die. I just put a tray to catch them not much trouble as it sounds.

i have also used my lyman 4500 to size PC bullets and outside of a bit of build up from cutting the flashing of powder coat on the base there has been no issue. i also tried removing the stem from the sizing die and turn it into a push through, but bullets started to deform (124gr 9mm RN) so i stopped doing it that way.

sasquatch76
07-10-2014, 08:48 PM
"Also, mounting the press (also a Lee) upside down"

prickett, you are a genius! I use the cheapo Lee single stage press for sizing, I am definitely going to try this.

silverado
07-10-2014, 08:50 PM
Again... Lee push thru

500MAG
07-10-2014, 08:53 PM
Hey all - about to begin PCing. I've only sized boolits with my Lube-a-matic I, and of course lube is not needed when PCing. I apologize for such a noob question, but I'm having trouble finding a good answer - what do I need to size but not lube? Seems like boolits would just get stuck in the Lube-a-matic with no lube...

Many thanks all!
I normally use the Lee dies for PC but I have used my Lyman 450. I guess it would depend on the caliber. Even with the Lee sizers, I have to dab a little mystery oil on the 50 cal boolits. I use a acetone to remove any of the mystery oil or any other junk before PC'ing. After PC. They don't need anything to get them thru.

bangerjim
07-10-2014, 08:55 PM
I only use the LEE sizer dies. I have heard of many guys using lube machines, but also rumors of PC being scraped off by the lube holes inside. I have never used one so I am only passing on what I have read.

The Lee things are very cheap and work great!

bangerjim

oldpapps
07-10-2014, 08:56 PM
Yep, I can give 'no good answers', too.

Depending upon the as drop diameter you may not need to size, may need to size after coating or may need to size both before and after.

If you size before, don't lube! The powder coating will stick to the lube and flow off during the curing, no coating on lead :(

I have a 44 mold that drops great sized raw lead. If I coat before sizing, the lead gives it up and the polyester get ripped open, not good :(
I size (Lyman 450 - I pulled the G, H, I [one is the nose punch ?] and washed the lube out) before coating and after, no problems :)

For my 30 cal bullets, I got a Lee push threw and it has never seen any lube. They are cheap and easy to use. Pick the right size for your bore.

OK, maybe some of this wasn't all that bad.

Enjoy, while you can.

OSOK

theTastyCat
07-11-2014, 12:15 AM
Once again, just what I needed to know! Thanks all.

prickett
07-11-2014, 10:33 PM
"Also, mounting the press (also a Lee) upside down"

prickett, you are a genius! I use the cheapo Lee single stage press for sizing, I am definitely going to try this.

It gets even better. Mount a rubber hose to the end of the die the newly sized boolits come out of and you can direct them into a container on the floor (I like the gallon ??? size coffee cans from Costco)