PDA

View Full Version : How to breech seat to uniform location?

Naphtali
07-10-2014, 10:56 AM
Breech seating tools I have observed for sale all appear to be offset rods with some sort of flattened holding device on the end that pushes the bullet. None appears to have an obvious method of stopping the seating process at a specific "stop point." How is the seating depth/location done to assure the bullet is seated to precisely the same spot every loading sequence?

Bullshop
07-10-2014, 12:33 PM
Its there your just not seeing it. Most use a cartridge case that fits the chamber and the rim is the stop. The rod fills the case to or slightly beyond the case mouth to seat the boolit to that point.
I breach seat in a rolling block for which to my knowledge there was never a breach seating tool made. I simply use a case filled with lead as a seater. A boolit properly designed for breach seating of proper temper and properly lubed will seat quite easily.

John Boy
07-10-2014, 06:38 PM
How is the seating depth/location done to assure the bullet is seated to precisely the same spot every loading sequence?Plugged cases or breech seaters set the bullet in the leade & leading bore cuts so 1/16" of the bullet base is exposed in the leade. Best to use tapered bullets instead of straight taper ones