PDA

View Full Version : How does Hornady brass compare to Starline in the 500 S&W

Joe C
07-10-2014, 10:31 AM
Trying to buy some new brass for the 500 SW , normally i would just buy Starline , but it's not to easy to find right now.

I did find some new Hornady brass, and would like to hear from those who are using it ,and if it is as good as , or better than , starline ?

thanks

Joe

BK7saum
07-10-2014, 10:42 AM
There is some in the S&S right now

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?247184-WTS-500-S-amp-W-MAG-BRASS-New-Starline

wallenba
07-10-2014, 10:42 AM
I use Starline almost exclusively in my straight wall pistols, excellent stuff. I use Hornady 30-30 brass for my 30-30's, 7-30 Waters and 30 Herrett. It seems to be a cut above Winchester, and way above R-P. I would not hesitate to try the Hornady for your 500 S&W.

Billairgun
07-10-2014, 03:52 PM
Pats reloading has it listed, but it might be hard to get ahold of them with the national matches coming up.
http://patsreloading.com/patsrel/prices.aspx

lar45
07-10-2014, 10:18 PM
http://www.dillonprecision.com/#/content/p/9/pid/24039/catid/5

Dillon has them in stock

GoodOlBoy
07-11-2014, 07:05 AM
Back to the OPs question since he MAY be buying locally only and may not want to order online. (Been there) I have always found Hornady to be very solid brass. I haven't used 500 S&W specifically but in 45LC I do rate it somewhere between my Starline(s) and my old Top Brass(s) IE Very good quality. I HAVE noticed (as you may find from other posts) that for some reason Hornady brass seems to be a wee bit shorter than spec, but so far it hasn't been a big issue other than bearing it in mind when I setup my dies. I haven't had issues with Remington Peters brass the way some folks have. I have 45LC RP brass that has been reloaded over a dozen times each and haven't had a single cull from them. The flip side is I have had to opposite experience with Winchester Brass. Granted all my win brass was range find stuff a ways back, but it just seemed to be more brittle than other brands and eventually split even under cowboy loads. Not that that has ever stopped me from using it when the price was right (IE free). Federal brass I have used in various calibers. Honestly the nickel Fed Brass I had always seemed to be problematic. The non-nickel never had issues. I have had nothing but problems with Privi Paratizi (sp?) brass in ANY caliber I have used it in, but almost everybody else here seems to like it so maybe the batches I got were just BAD. Hey everybody has a bad day, even machinists. Again is the price is right (IE free) I still use it. Best bottleneck brass I ever had was for 30-30 Winchester and was a box of Imperial brass my grandfather had bought as loaded ammo long before I was ever born. Unfortunately of the seven rounds I inherited none of it remains to date as it all either eventually failed or was never found after a brush hunt for deer. I have had other odds and ends brass over the years, but these are all that come to mind at the moment. Hope it helps.

GoodOlBoy

doc1876
07-11-2014, 08:38 AM
Goodolboy, I know you answered a lot of questions for me, thanks

GoodOlBoy
07-11-2014, 08:48 AM
Hey anytime I can throw my 2 cents in the ring I am glad to do it if it helps! But you get no apologies if it doesn't :p

GoodOlBoy