PDA

View Full Version : Commercial sources for just a few tons

Red Ork
07-10-2014, 03:59 AM
For those of you who cast commercially where are you getting your hardball alloy?

I found zip metals significantly cheaper than roto metals for a couple tons and I used those figures in my business plan.

However I'm sure I can probably do better straight from one of the foundries but I'm not sure if they would bother with small fish like me when the big guys are ordering whole lots of 40-50 ton production runs.

Thanks,
Dan "Red Ork"
igg.me/at/red-ork

ssnow
07-10-2014, 12:08 PM
Mayco Industries. www.maycoindustries.com

runfiverun
07-10-2014, 02:26 PM
the foundry's will sell to you.
however to get a decent price break I had to buy [airc] 4,000 [4600 maybe] pounds and pick it up.

the 2-6 isn't the be all and end all of boolit materials.
I used to get half 2/6 and half pure lead and mix it 50-50.
my rifle alloy was/is 2/6 alloy with 2% more tin added, it's super easy to cast with and shoots super nice.
between that and making my own lube, I pretty much had the local concession to myself within a year.

ssnow
07-10-2014, 02:40 PM
Mayco will sell smaller amounts, perhaps as low as 500 pounds if memory serves. The price drops considerably with larger purchases though. You get a pretty good break at the 1 ton mark.

Red Ork
07-12-2014, 01:19 AM
Forgot to add., I'm in Orlando, FL.
I haven't found any foundries anywhere close to me where I could just pick up but I will keep looking into it.