PDA

View Full Version : First Range Trip Since Last Falls Car Accident

MaryB
07-09-2014, 11:12 PM
Took my 9mm and 380acp with to get in some practice. Definitely going to be a relearning curve because of the lost strength. Found myself limp wristing it a couple times and had to force myself to keep things tensed. Some shakes yet when holding something heavy so accuracy was about 50% on my favorite 22 yard targets. I could see the misses hitting the berm just outside to the left edge a lot so pulling it that way somehow.

Was still a nice trip, fired 100 reloads and had fun got some stress out. Next week my hand is going to be strong enough for rifle abuse according to the doc. I pushed it today some, he said wait until Friday before firing the light pistols...

Artful
07-09-2014, 11:28 PM
congrat's on getting back on the range - don't overdue it and set yourself back.

bayjoe
07-09-2014, 11:40 PM
Nothin funner than burnin bullets!!

LUBEDUDE
07-09-2014, 11:58 PM
Sounds like things are progressing along.

That's great news!

Bzcraig
07-10-2014, 12:38 AM
Back in the saddle is awesome but take it slow to avoid setbacks!

MaryB
07-10-2014, 12:49 AM
Yeah wrist is complaining a bit tonight. Had to ice it for awhile. think it is mostly sore underused muscles I need to build back. Thumb doesn't ben quite right anymore either since the accident so that is part of what is throwing me off. Might have to sit down and load up some 223 rounds to take out in my new AR next week...

chuckbuster
07-10-2014, 06:56 AM
Regarding Doctor's advice to paraphrase Willie Nelson's wise words just a little (not sure who really wrote the song)

"There's more old Guns than there are old Dr.s so I guess we better fire another round!" :)

Glad you are back at it.
Kevin

Wayne Smith
07-10-2014, 07:54 AM
Find something heavier than your gun to hold out at arms length to strengthen your arm and wrist when not shooting. If you have a rubber ball squeeze it. Your PT should have given you specific exercises for that thumb, if no PT ask your MD about physical therapy to recover use.

searcher4851
07-10-2014, 11:04 AM
Glad to hear you're back out shooting. Just take your time and enjoy it. It'll take a while for things to 'normalize' for you, and you may end up having to establish a new normal for yourself. Good luck and don't overdo it.

Pb2au
07-10-2014, 12:52 PM
Sounds like good physical therapy to me!
Glad to hear you are back at the range feeling better.

country gent
07-10-2014, 01:14 PM
Work with it slow and easy, dont overdo it and cause problems that will drag recovery out. To get the muscles needed for shooting back in shape you might try dry firing a few rounds every day. This will bring back the control and the muscles. Put a spot on the wall. Unload the pistol set it down and then recheck it to ensure its unloaded. Dry fire a string or two. A dryfire reqime for practice done correctly is a big benifit.

MT Gianni
07-10-2014, 07:07 PM
Nice going Mary. I knew a Camp Perry shooter that wore out a trigger without ever sending one down the bbl. Remove your magazine and go through a daily regimen of aiming without pulling the trigger. Wrist stregth should return quickly.

RED333
07-10-2014, 09:38 PM
Good to hear you are back shooting, as others have said, go slow at first.

MaryB
07-10-2014, 10:37 PM
Well I was shooting my Hi Point C9 yesterday, the saying goes, if you run out or ammo with one use it as a club. They are heavy... the little PK380 is a lightweight. I am using a 2 pound hand weight every day to build wrist strength. Thumb PT is basically massage it and bend and hold it with my other hand to try to get range of motion back. Can feel it today and it is mostly underused muscle ache with the thumb joint being a bit sore from recoil. AR trip will be first time out sighting in a new scope so bench rest will take most of the abuse...

ph4570
07-10-2014, 11:13 PM
Good for you. Happy to hear it.

Wayne Smith
07-11-2014, 07:36 AM
Good, Mary. Keep it up and you will be back to normal soon.

monadnock#5
07-11-2014, 10:11 AM
The medicinal effect of burnt gunpowder in the nostrils is wonderfully effective for a whole range of ailments. Hang in there Mary!

Ed Barrett
07-12-2014, 12:31 AM
A day at the range is the best medicine.

MaryB
07-12-2014, 12:50 AM
I needed the relaxation away from doctors bills piling up waiting for the court case. Court can't happen until we have a plan for fixing my neck

NewbieDave007
07-13-2014, 11:44 AM
My wife and son were rear ended in 2008 and meditation concluded in 2012. Almost exactly 4 years and that was a "simple" rear end collision. Lawyers were the happiest as they got their cut off the top. Doctors took a reduced fee and my wife got next to nothing except the two herniated disks in her neck and the other injuries that have since healed.

I'm glad you got to the range for some fun. It's a great stress reliever for me personally.