PDA

View Full Version : What threads are on a Lyman 55?

madcaster
01-21-2008, 09:36 AM
Where the powder resivoir screws into the measure body?
Making my own BP safe measure...
Thanks,Jeff.

Swagerman
01-22-2008, 12:01 PM
I once asked Lyman that thread question, they couldn't come up with a definitive answer...probably because they don't want you making your own.

Its somewhere between 5/8 X 30 and 5/8 X 28 tpi...if you find out please let the rest of us know.

I made an adapter in 5/8 X 30 and it seems to work.

Jim

Larry Gibson
01-22-2008, 01:12 PM
Same threads that are on the 310 dies. The Lyman adapter fits both so they may be used in a standard press.

Larry Gibson

scrapcan
01-22-2008, 01:21 PM
I think he wants to make a new BP safe reservoir to replace the static ridden plastic one. That would be a much different thread than the 5/8 size. I would take mine apart, but it will not come apart. maybe someone can take theirs apart and use a thread gage for you.

You may be able to buy the BP reservoir and replace the one on your 55 from lyman.

http://www.lymanproducts.com/lymanproducts/index.htm

use the scales and measures tab. Scroll down to the black powder measure near bottom of page. There is a link to replacement parts.

http://www.lymanproducts.com/store/page145.html

24 inch drop tube is also jsut below on main sclaes measure page.

45 2.1
01-22-2008, 01:24 PM
Buffalo Arms makes a brass replacement hopper for this, call them and they could probably tell you the thread size.

Morgan Astorbilt
01-22-2008, 02:11 PM
He's asking for the reservoir thread, not the discharge tube, which is the same as the 310 and Tru Line Jr. (It measures right at 9/64"-30, not 5/8").
The thread you'll need for the reservoir, is 2"-24. I managed to use the brass pump tube from an old Chapman garden sprayer to do mine. It was a bit under 2" dia., but the top flare was large enough, that I was able to cut it down to screw into the measure. You might check out a plumbing supply store. You might be able to find a brass tailpiece close enough.
Morgan

madcaster
01-22-2008, 02:21 PM
There is a plumbing store in my town,I will ask them to thread this for me.Thanks all,
Jeff

floodgate
01-22-2008, 02:39 PM
Morgan:

Yeah; I've been quoting the 310 threads as a "scant 5/8" x 30 tpi", but they do come out at 0.605" - 0.610" major diameter, so 19/64" (not 9/64"!) is about right .They also used a nominal (slightly under) 11/16" x 30 tpi on dies for the fatter cases like 8mm Lebel, .50-70, .348 and - on some of the early Ideal tong tool - cases in the .45-70 class. Then some of the old small Ideal tools (.22 WCF, etc.) used a 0.440" x 30 tpi die thread, and this still is found in the 310 expander plugs in larger calibers. Finally, the old Ideal Springfield sight micrometer used a 1/4" x 30 tpi thread. I understand the 30 pitch threads show up on Winchester tools from the 1880s (well before SAE standardized US threads), and Ideal's John Barlow had worked there before starting the Ideal Manufacturing Co. in 1884, so that is probably where that abominable 30 tpi came from. When Bill Marden in Australia started making his little bright blue "Super Simplex" presses, he went to the 5/8" x 26tpi British Standard Brass (also known as "British Extra-Fine") threads; a 310 die will go about three turns into a Simplex but will then stick tight if forced any further.

Randy Davis at "The 310 Shop" inTombstone, AZ, is having custom 310 dies made in some of the scarce older calibers; I have asked him if he can have a set of thread chasers (tap- and die-type) made for me in the nominal standard "5/8" x 30" size to clean up old, dinged dies, tool die seats and lock rings.

Doug

Larry Gibson
01-22-2008, 03:12 PM
My misunderstanding.

Larry Gibson

madcaster
01-22-2008, 03:18 PM
Larry,the IMPORTANT thing is that you are trying to help,and i thank you for that!

Slowpoke
01-22-2008, 05:27 PM
Anyone know the size of the set screw's for the 310 die lock rings ?

Thanks Good luck

floodgate
01-22-2008, 05:57 PM
Slowpoke:'

Just checked a loose one lying on my bench - 8-32. Remember to drop a #6 shot under the screw to avoid dinging the die threads; if you want to re-adjust the die, rap it sharply - screw head down - on your vise anvil, and the lead will compress enough that you can turn the ring to the new setting.

floodgate

Slowpoke
01-22-2008, 06:05 PM
Will do

thanks

Morgan Astorbilt
01-22-2008, 08:16 PM
Jeff, The plumbing supply won't be able to cut the 2"-24 thread for you. It's a non standard size, that has to be done with a single point tool on a lathe. In addition, if you're using thin tubing, a mandrel will have to be machined, to support the tubing so it can be threaded. When I mentioned plumbing supply, I meant finding a brass tail piece as close to the size a possible, and if necessary, wrap it with electrical or some other tape to screw it into the base. Aluminum is also non sparking.
Morgan

testhop
01-23-2008, 12:41 AM
Where the powder resivoir screws into the measure body?
Making my own BP safe measure...
Thanks,Jeff.
Jeffif you are planing to use the lyman powder measurefor blackpowder
i tried it by buying the lyman metal tube worked fine for the first time
BUT IT FROZED UP AND I HAD A HECK OF A TIME BGETTING ALL THE RUST LOOSE
THE MEASURENEVER WAS TRUSTWORTHY AFTER THAT
oh yes i cleaned it very well and thought i had found a cheaper way .not so
all i did was ruiend a good measure