PDA

View Full Version : Range report.

idahoron
07-09-2014, 05:58 PM
I took the 50 renegade out that I worked over the trigger guard. This barrel has actually never shot paper patched bullets. So in a sense it was like shooting a new rifle. I knew from my other 50 about where the sight should be set and went to 100 yards. The wind was blowing pretty hard today, the weather is saying between 15 and 18 miles an hour. It took me 6 shots to get the gun somewhere in the center. Then I shot a 4 shot group that measured 3" center to center. For the first time out I was pleased. The trigger guard worked like a charm. The last time I shot this barrel was 2007 or 2008. The bullets I was using then were the Hornady great plains bullets. I did use that stock a couple years ago with a different barrel. At that time I had been used to shooting the Renegade with the double trigger and the Hawken. I was struggling to modify my hold to get it to work. So for this barrels first time with paper patched bullets and the stocks first time with the finger hook on the guard, and the wind, I was very excited. I have it somewhat sighted in for 50 and 100. I will need to prove those sight in settings but for right now they looked good. I did shoot off cross sticks out to 150 and the elevation was spot on but the wind had me blown 3" to the right. As for now I am happy with it. Ron

http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd294/idahoron/Muzzleloaders/First100yardgroupafterfix_zpse5797165.jpg

johnson1942
07-09-2014, 08:46 PM
i can see ron that you are getting the fever for next fall and winter hunting also. good luck.

idahoron
07-09-2014, 10:17 PM
My son and I both drew for muzzleloader hunts. This is the first time we will both be able to carry a gun at the same time. That being said I can use a 45 for deer but I need a 50 for elk. So since my son has the 50 I normally use I had to work over mine. I think I am going to use the 45 for deer but the 50 for elk. I am going to have to see how it goes.

johnson1942
07-09-2014, 11:09 PM
i just hope the population of the deer match our enthusiasm. we have saw a couple of nice bucks and their are a lot of twins and triplets out their. have fun with your son, those days go by fast.

Omnivore
07-10-2014, 04:29 PM
Nice!