PDA

View Full Version : L-Frame 41 Rem Mag

Tatume
07-09-2014, 03:27 PM
To S&W:
While I was very interested to learn about the new M69 revolver, what I'm waiting for is a four inch, five-shot 41 Rem Mag revolver built on the L-frame. Do you have plans to introduce such a model?

Hi Thomas,
At this time I am not aware of any plans to, however I think it is a great idea. I'll pass it along.
Sincerely, Frank

BK7saum
07-09-2014, 03:28 PM
I would like to see that as well. It'd be AWESOME!!!!

Tatume
07-09-2014, 04:07 PM
Write to S&W! The more inquiries they get the more likely it is to happen. I would order one today if I could. If it shoots as good as the M686 it will be a winner.

Groo
07-09-2014, 04:16 PM
Groo here
I spoke to the head of production about a 3inch 41 , at the NRA meeting at Inde this year.
He seemed to like the idea, [ he shoots 41 also]

osteodoc08
07-10-2014, 11:09 AM
I'd buy a 4" model. The Model 69 has been the ONLY reason I've EVER looked at the 44. One can hope. Didnt want a Taurus...their tracker line is in the same size arena as the L frame, but, well, it a Taurus and has venting/porting which I hate on a revolver. If Taurus made one in a 4" without porting, I'd give it a go even with their short cylinders.

Tatume
07-10-2014, 11:20 AM
I've not had good experiences with Taurus or Rossi guns.

osteodoc08
07-10-2014, 03:30 PM
I've not had good experiences with Taurus or Rossi guns.

I had a 66 that was so, so. I admitedly abused it with hot heavies and it eventually started spitting and timing was starting to go south. I used it as trading fodder with full disclosure. Trigger was decent. Stainless finish was even, but did have obvious tooling marks. Servicable is how I would describe the one I had. Now my Browning Buckmark that had to go back several times......Never again.

W.R.Buchanan
07-10-2014, 06:01 PM
The M69 is kind of the replacement for the 696 in .44 Special. When testing the 696 they did make a few in .44 magnum just to see how they held up,,,, from what I heard from a Reliable and Informed source they held of just fine,,,,Hence the M69.

A .41 Mag version would not be a big stretch. Starline made a run of .41 Special Brass recently. Yeah,,, I know there is no such thing? Well there is now! I have been frequenting the S&W Forum and I have seen a bunch of guns I never knew about. Like 3" and 4" 686's, and a 3" 44 Mag. Mountain Gun.

I think within the parameters of a given frame size S&W is willing to do short runs for specialty guns. I personally think they would be stupid not to, as the modular nature of most of their guns lends itself to many variations on a given frame.

There is always a bit of engineering to be done with the modified versions and there many even be some parts that are specific to each gun, but none of this is a big deal and would easily be justified by the increased sales.

Different Barrels and different Cylinders is what you are looking at, and why a marketing division wouldn't see the possibilities is beyond me.

Lipsey's is good at getting Ruger to make variations of their most successful guns. This is how the Blackhawks in .44 Special came about and the fact that they had the good sense to make them in both 4 5/8" and 5 1/2" and Blued and SS versions and Regular and Bisley frames shows that they went the extra mile to make sure all the bases were covered. They also covered them in .45LC. That's 16 different variations on the same basic gun just by changing barrels cylinders and grip frames.

The new methods of machining really make the modular nature of these guns come to life. Always remember all machine tools were originally built to make interchangeable parts for guns, and now they have gotten to the point where they are really interchangeable with little or no hand fitting required.

Now that's progress.

Randy

JHeath
07-10-2014, 06:07 PM
The new methods of machining really make the modular nature of these guns come to life. Always remember all machine tools were original built to make interchangeable parts for guns, and now they have gotten to the point where they are really interchangeable with little or no hand fitting required.

Now that's progress.

Randy

Amen, brother. Pretty soon we'll just 3-D print our own L-frame .41s to order, but you'll have to go to an FFL and fill out a 4473 to buy the software.