PDA

View Full Version : Chrome Barrel Problem

Eagle66
07-09-2014, 01:37 PM
I have been getting my Granddaughter into shooting, and ML seems to be a good way. I got her a Remington .31 Pocket Pistol and she loves it. I just got a rifle for her, a CVA .32 Squirrel rifle.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=110234&d=1404926641

My problem is with the chrome barrel. I don't know who might have done this, but to my eye it looks awful. I know I can't expect perfection for $120, but I would like to remove the chrome, then give it a proper blued/browned finish.

Does anyone know how, without destroying the rifle?

Pb2au
07-09-2014, 02:57 PM
Well, I gotta say, that is a first for me. I had never seen a chrome muzzle loader before....
It would interesting to know how heavily it was plated. It might be enough to go after it with a stout wire wheel on an angle grinder, then sand and polish it. Then re-blue the whole she-bang.
I know from my printing days, anilox rollers were stripped in either a muratic acid bath, or hydrochloric acid, then re-plated with copper then chrome.

waksupi
07-09-2014, 03:32 PM
I think I would just sand blast it, then Duracoat it.

bob208
07-09-2014, 04:06 PM
take it to a chrome shop they can strip it. all they do is put it in the tank and reverse the process. it is way cheaper and easier then trying to strip it mechanically.

MadHamster
07-09-2014, 04:21 PM
As suggested by Bob, either a chrome shop

or use chemicals
coca-cola(slight care needed)
lye(inert to iron/steel)
amonia (inert to iron/steel)
pick one
You can also use hydrochloric/muriatic acid but you have to be extra carefull with it

DeanWinchester
07-09-2014, 04:39 PM
Little mister smart butt here but.....what's the granddaughter think of it? I would think if it would put the grand baby and papaw out huntin' together it could be a pink stock and gold electroplate so long as she's smiling. just my 2 cents.

dondiego
07-09-2014, 05:14 PM
If you could get the sun just right you could blind the squirrels and just whack 'em with a bat after they fell out of the tree. Save ball and powder.

starnbar
07-09-2014, 05:25 PM
A little cleaning then zinc chromate and then camo the barrel take you about 2 hours and its done.

Fly
07-09-2014, 05:55 PM
My that's a new one for me.I,m not saying it won,t work but I thought zinc chromate was a primer for painting
aluminum?
Fly

drago9900
07-09-2014, 09:34 PM
I think zinc chromate is a self etching primer but I am not sure it would etch chrome. I agree with Dean, see what she thinks, that chrome might look sweet with a hot pink stock and some glitter. Whatever it takes to make her happy! Also make sure it's not stainless.

johnson1942
07-09-2014, 11:19 PM
i have a sidelock with a stainless steel barrel so i beadblasted it to a grey matte finish. you might try that, i really like the way mine looks.

Omnivore
07-10-2014, 04:25 PM
Just keep in mind that the chrome is a LOT harder than any of the steel, so any mechanical means of stripping or roughing it up will eat into any exposed steel a lot faster than the remaining chrome. I've never seen nickel or chrome chemically stripped where it didn't pit the base metal. Be sure, if you go the chemical route, that the bore is protected.

Hellgate
07-10-2014, 06:23 PM
I recommend letting the kid decide. It's her gun. She'll have the only shiny gun in the state and no man/boy in their right mind is gonna tease any female that likes black powder (and is holding a rifle!).

nicholst55
07-10-2014, 10:02 PM
take it to a chrome shop they can strip it. all they do is put it in the tank and reverse the process. it is way cheaper and easier then trying to strip it mechanically.

^^This.^^ It should cost around $30-40, and they know what they're doing.

williamwaco
07-10-2014, 10:22 PM
Little mister smart butt here but.....what's the granddaughter think of it? I would think if it would put the grand baby and papaw out huntin' together it could be a pink stock and gold electroplate so long as she's smiling. just my 2 cents.

DITTO, If you turn her off. She is gone forever. We need her support when she is old enough.

Eagle66
07-11-2014, 08:29 AM
what's the granddaughter think of it? I would think if it would put the grand baby and papaw out huntin' together it could be a pink stock and gold electroplate so long as she's smiling.

I agree with Dean, see what she thinks, that chrome might look sweet with a hot pink stock and some glitter. Whatever it takes to make her happy!

I think I'll go with that advice. But, as Hellgate said, it'll be her gun. I've been looking at it from my perspective. So, I've got to find some Cinderella artwork for the stock, and I've got pink paint. As far as being teased, her other Grandpa is into archery, the folks at my muzzle loading club will teach her knife & hawk throwing, and one of her uncles likes swords. She'll be a Warrior Princess by the time she's 12. No boy will give her any grief!

oso
07-11-2014, 11:35 AM
My Amy says this rifle looks really snappy and she'd be proud to take it anywhere. As I've said before, don't argue with Amy.

oldracer
07-11-2014, 04:04 PM
I agree with those that said let the young lady decide. My daughter has a Ruger 10-22 that is one of the pink cancer specials and has been teased at the range a few times about it but then rips through half a dozen clips and they are generally way better than the other guys are doing so they shut up!

I have seen some very shiny military muskets that almost look like chrome plating and are way cool. Remember, that shiny stuff you see is the nickel and the chrome is a clear top finish that makes it shine more.

Kynoch
07-11-2014, 04:56 PM
I agree with those that said let the young lady decide. My daughter has a Ruger 10-22 that is one of the pink cancer specials and has been teased at the range a few times about it but then rips through half a dozen clips and they are generally way better than the other guys are doing so they shut up!

I have seen some very shiny military muskets that almost look like chrome plating and are way cool. Remember, that shiny stuff you see is the nickel and the chrome is a clear top finish that makes it shine more.

Chrome definitely has a tint to it -- a yellowish tint. It's not clear. Compare something chromed to something just nickle plated.

bedbugbilly
07-14-2014, 06:31 PM
I can't help you on the chrome plating . . . but as far as the rifle goes . . .

I had one of these many years ago. It was a left handed one - I picked it up used when I was down at the Nationals at Friendship. It had a scope on it. I was losing the central vision in my right eye (diabetes) so I was having to switch to shooting left handed. That little rifle was a real treat to shoot and very accurate. I had a lot of fun with it. I sold it a few years ago to a guy who wanted it in the worst way. I wavered and then gave in . . . one of those that I wished I had back at times.

Your grand-daughter ought to have a lot of fun with that rifle. A good way to get her turned on to front stuffers and I'll bet she will enjoy shooting it and treasure it greatly!

fouronesix
07-15-2014, 09:51 AM
I've seen quite a few different old military rifles and accoutrements chromed or nickeled to keep as mementos or for parade/ceremony… but that ML is a first! :) I wouldn't worry about it too much if the bore is good. The gun certainly doesn't know the difference. And, there may even be second thoughts about it in the future by a youngster… peer pressure and all that. But over time if it proves to shoot well, I'd bet it would become a stand out, special firearm with lots of stories to tell.

Geezer in NH
07-20-2014, 08:58 PM
Rustoleum matte black, cheap easy and removable or replaceable

drago9900
07-27-2014, 09:24 AM
Well, what did she think of it? Or has she seen it yet?

badbob454
07-27-2014, 11:42 AM
sand it,400 grit aluminum oxide paper... and hi temp black spraypaint ...like a barbque