PDA

View Full Version : Site History ?

shooterg
07-09-2014, 10:34 AM
Had tried to post this in the closed thread below.

I like this site a lot. Like others, not "old guard" I've always been a little in the dark about who's behind the curtain and the history of the site. Whoever it is this week, keep it going !

Maybe one of long time members could give us a history lesson ? Just because inquiring minds like to know ?

WILCO
07-09-2014, 10:38 AM
From what I remember reading, there was a different site that went belly up.
45Nut created this place and the refugees came here. I believe the original site was called "Shooters".
It was all before my time, but I think that's the gist of it.

Echo
07-09-2014, 10:47 AM
Bump. I also have an inquiring mind... or is it 'enquiring'?

slughammer
07-10-2014, 02:33 AM
Well I found this group on shooters.com sometime before 2003. Back then castboolits was one section of the shooters.com forum. Everything was discussed within that one subforum. ( Plenty to learn and easy to keep up with, I still miss that ).

In Aug 2003 we moved to Aimoo and expanded from there. Lots of old threads over there still. http://forum1.aimoo.com/Cast___Boolits__

As you can see by the older join dates on here we moved to this home at Gunloads in March 2005.

That's the short version of the last 10+ years. I'm sure somebody will remember more.

sthwestvictoria
07-10-2014, 03:08 AM
Buckshot is listed there at the aimoo forum and his signature states that he is a shooters forum alumni and plank owner?!?!

Maybe he will be along to tell tales of the good old days when the web was wide and antelopes grazed right up to your screen.

searcher4851
07-10-2014, 11:08 AM
Buckshot relates some of the history in post #56 here: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?247225-Clarification-please-Castboolits/page3

alamogunr
07-10-2014, 11:21 AM
I dunno for sure. There was a "cast bullet list" and "blackpowder cartridge list" , possibly a "schuetzen list" back in the mid to late 90s. IIRC, Chas Hamilton from Houston was the list owner and/or moderator.

The CB-L and BP-L still exist. There were(and still may be) other "lists" owned by Charles Hamilton. Not as active as they were, especially after this board became more active. Still a lot of knowledgeable folks there. I still learn from them.

I haven't looked lately to see if they are still available , but the archives used to have a lot of good info.

Just looked. CB-L archives are all there.

Bullshop
07-10-2014, 12:24 PM
I believe when Ken first started the site after shooters that it was hosted by Dan Lynch of Mountain Molds. I like to give credit where credit is due.

runfiverun
07-10-2014, 01:57 PM
mountain molds still has a forum of sorts but with very little traffic, some good threads though.

shooterg
07-10-2014, 06:14 PM
700 members !? Wow, it's come a long way.

nicholst55
07-11-2014, 02:56 PM
I usd to belong to the old Shooters forum, although I don't recall the Cast Boolits subforum.

Ed Barrett
07-11-2014, 03:55 PM
I remember being a member of a casting site of a former iteration that was hosted in a United Arab emirates server. Does anyone else remember that?

Bad Water Bill
07-12-2014, 01:17 AM
When I built my puter I joined a ton of gun related sites.

There were 2 that caught my attention.

One COST to belong to and folks started bragging about how much money they could spend on an out of the box M O A rifle to make it look prettier and shoot .01 M O A better.

Cast asked me to pull up my rocking chair and enjoy.

I will NEVER FORGET the responses from members here when I asked for leeway to promote the right of Illinois residentd to CCW.

Thank You one and all for your understanding and help.

My well worn rocker will stay here for many more years yet.

R.M.
07-12-2014, 01:23 AM
My well worn rocker will stay here for many more years yet.
We certainly hope so.

crazy mark
07-12-2014, 01:54 AM
I remember being a member of a casting site of a former iteration that was hosted in a United Arab emirates server. Does anyone else remember that?

Yes but I can't remember the name. It was a weird place at times.

BruceB
07-12-2014, 05:48 AM
That was likely "Accurate Reloading"..... and yes, it surely did "have its moments".

It wasn't purely a casting site, but among its MANY forums.....

alamogunr
07-12-2014, 07:36 AM
Accurate Reloading is still around. I hadn't been there in a long until the previous post mentioned it. The only thing I really remember is the video of the lab coated guy shooting some ultra huge rifle from the glass enclosed firing point(shown on the home page) into what appeared to be a tunnel range.

As I recall he was not prepared for the recoil and dropped the rifle trying to avoid falling himself.

Ed Barrett
07-12-2014, 12:51 PM
I remember the "allverticle" forum back around 2000 or so.

nicholst55
07-12-2014, 02:40 PM
Accurate Reloading is still around. I hadn't been there in a long until the previous post mentioned it. The only thing I really remember is the video of the lab coated guy shooting some ultra huge rifle from the glass enclosed firing point(shown on the home page) into what appeared to be a tunnel range.

As I recall he was not prepared for the recoil and dropped the rifle trying to avoid falling himself.

The .577 Tyranosaur, or some such name IIRC. Funny video!

BruceB
07-12-2014, 03:11 PM
Yep, I think it was the "T-Rex".

The best thing about that video was when it showed a gent toward the end who KNEW how to handle a hard-recoiling rifle.

Compared to the other poor suckers who were persuaded to fire the beast, he demonstrated excellent control of the rifle, and was not particularly disturbed by the event.

The others? It was pathetic.... and cruel, I thought.

multigunner76
07-18-2014, 09:17 PM
It was the 577 T-Rex made by A Square. It was based off their Hannibal platform of rifles. It was a beast to shoot. But could be controlled by experianced shooters. I managed to get off 3 rounds before I sat it down and walked away.