PDA

View Full Version : I got scratches on the neck of my die?

Willyp
07-09-2014, 06:11 AM
I was playing with my belling die,to open up the necks of my cases,for cast bullets. The cases were not the brand that i use and range brass. I over belled them ! I had nothing to do yesterday,so,i decided to see if i could bring the cases back to normal resized brass. I ran them into my FLS die and it done its job.
Well,it scratched the neck sizing part,inside of the die. When i sized some good brass it leaves scarathes on the necks. Is there and way to save this die?????
I won't do that again!!!!!!!! I ordered a new one.

JWFilips
07-09-2014, 06:30 AM
Willp,
This has happened to me a bunch of times when I reform 06 brass into 8x57.
I take an old bronze bristle gun cleaning brush chuck it into my hand drill fit a large piece of flannel rag onto the brush coat it with some white diamond polishing compound and work it up & down into the die which I clamp in a padded vice a few minutes usually does it. Can't really say it is as good as new however.

CastingFool
07-09-2014, 07:00 AM
I have polished some sizing dies with 600 grit emery cloth and a metal rod with a slit on the end, chucked up in a drill. You fold the emery cloth in half, so the grit is on the outside, and insert in the slit. It was a method we used to deburr internal passageways when assembling pumps, except we used coarser emery cloth.

Willyp
07-09-2014, 07:21 AM
Well,i'm off to the hardware store.
I learned,years ago,to steel wool the necks of my cases to keep this from happening. Now,i'm older and seems i got dumber!
I guess i'll look at it as giving me some thing to do?

jcwit
07-09-2014, 10:06 AM
Explain just how a scratch "depression" can create a scratch "depression".

Sounds like you have a buildup of something on the inside of your die which you need to polish out.

country gent
07-09-2014, 10:35 AM
Diamond will work very well and is a great polishing agent. It is also somewhat agressive and will impregnate into steel. If you have flitz metal polis or simichrome polish they will work also. I perfer the split ended rod with a very tight patch fit to it. A small dab of polish and slow rpms working the rod back and forth so that the polish lines form an X shape( in the die you wont see this just have to trust what your doing) I have brought dies back from scratches for club members. Go slow and check if you remove to much from the neck area you will not ave neck tension to hold a bullet. The scratches can actually remain. the raised, the raised metal and burrs along the scratches cant thats whats doing most of the damage. It can more than likely be saved. I also ID dies that have been polished with a coupe prick punch marks behind caliber designation so I know its been done

tmc-okc
07-12-2014, 04:11 PM
Use a shotgun bore mop saturated with JB Bore paste and lubricated in Kroil oil. Chuck the die in your drill press vise and the mop in the drill chuck. Run a slow speed and inspect often. Fixed one of mine.
Ron

Motor
07-13-2014, 07:47 PM
You have a small deposit of brass stuck to the die. All you need is some scotch brite and a wood dowl. You don't want to use anything that will remove steel. You only need to remove brass. You may even be able to remove it with a chemical bore cleaner the kind that is made to remove copper fouling.

If you can examine the die closely you should be able to see the build up.

Motor

afish4570
07-14-2014, 10:55 PM
Explain just how a scratch "depression" can create a scratch "depression".

Sounds like you have a buildup of something on the inside of your die which you need to polish out.
Be careful when trimming nickle plated brass. Shavings from the nickle....are apt to scratch from what I have read. I have always been careful when trimming nickle cases so I don't scratch my steel dies.....afish4570