PDA

View Full Version : Found Silica Gel really cheap

Goatlips
01-21-2008, 12:22 AM
.....in the pet department of my local huge chain WalMart type store (Meijer's). Comes in a half gallon container for seven bucks, labeled CAT LITTER, :???: the only ingredient listed being silica gel. That's much less than the gun show stuff, or even the flower drying crystals. Tie it in a sock and throw it in your safe.

Now come the jokes and references to Carpetman.... :mrgreen:

Goatlips

AlaskaMike
01-21-2008, 12:19 PM
Sounds great! I've been hoarding the packets that come packed with our new computer equipment here at work, but cheap bulk silica gel would be wonderful.

What's the brand name on it?

Mike

scb
01-21-2008, 08:19 PM
My question would be is it dried out or is it moisture saturated requiring drying? If it's not in a sealed package (and maybe even if it is) it may not work so well. I would guess that the drying is what adds substancialy to the price.

lathesmith
01-21-2008, 09:57 PM
Couldn't you just put some in an oven-safe container and dry it a bit in the oven if you needed to?

miestro_jerry
01-21-2008, 10:14 PM
I have been using the crystal kitty litter for years as a moisture absorbing agent. When it gets saturated, but it in the oven for a bit on low and it will dry out.

I get those light brown paper bags that the hardware store used to use, snip the corner, fill and put where they are needed with my tools and stuff.

Jerry

joatmon
01-21-2008, 10:22 PM
Now I can be as cheap as the next guy, but I dang sure ain't gonna let the ol'lady catch me
dryin wet cat litter in her oven!! How in the heck do you'all stand the smell?

miestro_jerry
01-21-2008, 10:25 PM
I don't use cat litter that the cats use, I use new stuff from the store. I'm not married so I don't have that problem.

But you can find an old toaster oven at a yard sale, that will work.

Jerry