PDA

View Full Version : South Carolina Hog Hunting?

Leatherhead Bullets
07-08-2014, 10:19 PM
Looking for a reasonably priced hog hunt in South Carolina in March of next year. My daughter is going to Fort Jackson for boot camp, and we will likely be going over for her graduation. Figured we might as well have a little extra fun while we are there and bring some cast boolits and a bow or two. It would be for two (my other 15 yr old daughter), and a photographer (wife only shoots her camera). Any of you had any positive experiences with a guide / club, or other suggestions. Being born and raised in Idaho, hogs are foreign as is that land.

I appreciate any input!

TXGunNut
07-09-2014, 08:34 PM
Can't help on the hog hunts but check base rules, you probably won't be allowed to enter the base with weapons.

06ackley
07-10-2014, 05:50 PM
A few years ago my brother and I went to Black River Plantation.Both of us got hogs,rooms were nice and the guides were very friendly.I think it has changed ownership since I was there but I would go back.

HATCH
07-10-2014, 05:55 PM
Fort Jackson has a public shooting range but I am not sure if its still public right now.

HarryT
07-10-2014, 06:29 PM
Hunting is allowed on the post. Never used them but I've heard good things about Black River Plantation.

Fort Jackson Hunting and Fishing Regulation FJ28-4 (http://fortjacksonmwr.com/hunting_fishing/pdf/huntingFishingRegulation.pdf)
With nearly 100 square miles of huntable training area, Fort Jackson has earned a reputation as a sportsman’s paradise. Annually over 200 whitetail deer are harvested on Fort Jackson. Other hunting opportunities exist on Fort Jackson such as waterfowl, small game, dove and turkeys. Hunting is open to anyone possessing a DOD identification and their guests. To hunt on Fort Jackson, you must possess appropriate South Carolina licenses, permits specific to Fort Jackson and a Hunter’s Education card; all are available at Marion Street Station. Check the link above for further restrictions for hunting on Fort Jackson as well as the SCDNR online hunting regulation site http://www.dnr.sc.gov/regulations.html.

Hickok
07-10-2014, 06:31 PM
Idahofireman, my daughter took her boot at Ft Jackson. When she and her fellow soldiers passed by in revue on graduation, I had big tears rolling out from under my sunglasses!

I wish your daughter God's speed and protection. Give her a pat on the back for me.

Leatherhead Bullets
07-10-2014, 07:19 PM
Thank you everyone! It is a very proud moment for us for sure. I will look into the info mentioned. Greatly appreciate the help. This community is awesome for sure.

trails4u
07-10-2014, 09:07 PM
Unfortunately, hog hunting in SC is restricted in the sense that you can only hunt hogs with a firearm that is allowed for whatever 'game' species that is currently in season. If you're planning to hunt in March.....your choice of firearms will likely be very limited. South Carolina hunting regs, in my opinion, are some of the most complicated in the country. I would suggest doing a bunch of research....

http://www.dnr.sc.gov/regs/pdf/hunting.pdf#page=36

It's unfortunate....my personal belief is that we should be able to kill these invasive pests anytime, anywhere, with anything...but the state house doesn't see it that way. The politicians took the regs. away from DNR in 2008, I believe....big mistake from a game management standpoint.

blackriver
09-29-2014, 12:43 AM
Give the guys at Jarret Rifles a call. They are in Jackson, SC. Really great people. They run Cowden Plantation. Beautiful 10,000 acre tract with plenty of hogs. Great place to take youngsters hunting.

Leatherhead Bullets
09-29-2014, 08:45 AM
I appreciate the information. I will be giving them a call.
Thanks

Jevyod
09-29-2014, 11:39 AM
My brother and I and another friend went with Blackwater Hunting Services out of Ulmer,Sc. Had a great experience, nice people, great accommodations, and we scored a triple the first eve!

dh2
09-29-2014, 03:54 PM
Fort Jackson has a public shooting range but I am not sure if its still public right now.
If it is like Ft. Bragg is with no military id card you will go through search getting on base. I could not see them letting you go on base to a graduation ceremony in passion of a fire are of any kind, any the base will tell you they do not recognize a CCW permit, I would try to leave the gun where I was going to hunt if that was possible . there can be a lot to deal with on that base especially if the threat level is up, and we are bombing far a way places right now.

762 shooter
10-01-2014, 07:47 AM
Unfortunately, hog hunting in SC is restricted in the sense that you can only hunt hogs with a firearm that is allowed for whatever 'game' species that is currently in season. If you're planning to hunt in March.....your choice of firearms will likely be very limited. South Carolina hunting regs, in my opinion, are some of the most complicated in the country. I would suggest doing a bunch of research....

http://www.dnr.sc.gov/regs/pdf/hunting.pdf#page=36

It's unfortunate....my personal belief is that we should be able to kill these invasive pests anytime, anywhere, with anything...but the state house doesn't see it that way. The politicians took the regs. away from DNR in 2008, I believe....big mistake from a game management standpoint.

There is no closed season or weapon restrictions on hogs on private land during daylight
That reg is for WMA lands. There is no weapon restriction for hogs on private land during daylight hours. Page 64 DNR handbook.

trails4u
10-01-2014, 08:04 AM
Excellent catch, 762!! Our regs have been going through some substantial changes over the last few years....hard to keep up with!! I do very little hunting on private land, so didn't check that section. Thanks for clearing it up!