PDA

View Full Version : The .22 Winchester Magnum Rimfire ballistic test is published

Hunter
07-08-2014, 09:28 PM
The .22 Winchester Magnum Rimfire ballistic test is published and you may be a bit surprised at some of the results.

http://rangehot.com/22-magnum-ballistic-test/

Thoughts and opinions please.

tazman
07-08-2014, 10:04 PM
The Hornady defense load was impressive. Not certain what to think of the cartridge/pistol combination as a useful whole though.
I read a couple of reviews on the pistol that were complimentary.
If I didn't already have a 9mm set up for basically the same purpose I would use this for, I might consider it seriously.

petroid
07-08-2014, 10:19 PM
That Hornady load is pretty impressive! Amazing that it was the only JHP/JSP that reliably expanded. Perhaps the velocities were not high enough for the others, being designed for rifles. If I was going to have a 22WMR pistol, the Hornady is what I would have. I'm guessing that it is designed more for a pistol than rifle. It will be interesting to see if any other manufacturers follow suit and make more pistol oriented loads for this cartridge. One of these in your backpack could really come in handy.

smkummer
07-08-2014, 10:24 PM
This gun is a fun shooter as a friend on mine bought one. I have no doubt with its magazine size that it is a serious defense gun. I told him that at $10 a box of 50 for 22 magnum, that it was past my price point as a shooter. I am hearing folks are now paying close to $20 for the same box of 50 so for now this gun is very expensive to shoot.

Hunter
07-08-2014, 11:40 PM
Yea, I am pretty disappointed on how hard .22 WMR is to find and how expensive it is when you do find it.
I expect the reason none of the other JHPs expanded was I was getting between 200-400 fps less than what was published on the boxes or websites of what I could find.
I believe you all are right on, rounds designed for a rifle shot from a pistol. I hope more manufactures develop defensive rounds for the .22 WMR pistol. Man that thing is fun to shoot.

I'll Make Mine
07-12-2014, 09:20 AM
I've had my eye on this pistol since it was the Grendel. Never had the money, but some of the .22 Mag ammunition seems about as effective as common .380 and having thirty rounds in the magazine is great (though the PMR-30 is quite a bit larger than my .380) -- and the .22 Mag doesn't cost any more than .380, given you won't recover much of your .380 brass anyway.

Larry in MT
07-14-2014, 09:02 AM
I was surprised he didn't get any expansion with the WW 40 grain JHP. I regularly use it out of a Single Six (5.5" barrel) on various smaller animals and there is definitely expansion ( maybe the "layers" he mentions clogged the HP --- because it penetrated 10 more inches with the layers). I also get right @ 1300 fps.

I've noticed the above bullet in the SS is more effective on small animals than a WW 40 grain Power Point (a great 22 Long Rifle bullet) out of a rifle. They are both moving at about the same velocity.

Hunter
07-15-2014, 04:35 PM
No expansion from with the 3 layers or bare gel. I also did not get any clogging of the tip.
I have the round pictured showing what it looked like when I dug it out of the gel.
I am with you though, not sure why I did not get expansion and you did but as we all know ballistic gel is not the perfect medium for testing but the best we have. That may have something to do with that.
What do you think it could be?

Larry in MT
07-17-2014, 11:16 AM
No expansion from with the 3 layers or bare gel. I also did not get any clogging of the tip.
I have the round pictured showing what it looked like when I dug it out of the gel.
I am with you though, not sure why I did not get expansion and you did
What do you think it could be?

I noticed your flattened WW 40 grain JHP. Maybe I'm not getting the expansion that I think I am. I DO know that the WW Power Point Long Rifles expand at close range and the damage from the 22 Mag bullet is usually more severe @ similiar velocity. I can't explain that --- you've done the work and showed no expansion, I'd say I'm mistaken in assuming I'm getting expansion.

35remington
07-17-2014, 06:45 PM
You probably are mistaken, as I get only modest expansion from a rifle at 100 yards. The low expansion is due to reduced velocity and primarily due to the lack of any skiving or weakening notches in the jacket.

35remington
07-17-2014, 10:18 PM
And maybe some further comments are in order. There is such a thing as no expansion, where the bullet does not appreciably expand its diameter, and no deformation, where the bullet looks like the unfired example save for the rifling marks. In some cases, on game, the lead tip of the jacketed bullet is wiped off or blunted at lower impact velocities and the bullet resembles a wadcutter in possessing a flat or flattish point. This escalates its effectiveness even though the jacket has not rolled back. Thus the bullet has deformed to a more effective shape even though it has not expanded its diameter appreciably when passing through its target. I believe this is what Larry is experiencing when observing good effectiveness of the .22 magnum round from a revolver using the 40 Winchester JHP (really a softpoint as the hollow isn't big enough to help much). If a bullet is going to deform or expand to any degree it does it within a very short distance from the point of impact as this is the area where the deceleration and deformation is the greatest......so the blunted bullet's subsequent passage through the animal is with the more effective shape.

I've observed this in testing some old 25-20 softpoints in media at approximate 1450 fps muzzle velocities with 50 yard impacts on said media. They did not expand but deformed, wiping off the short lead nose to the jacket and presenting a wide flat point. They were and are very effective on game with such a shape even though they did not expands beyond caliber.

Arguably, wide expansion in a 22 bullet is a bad thing as it will not then meet FBI minimums in terms of penetration. If low velocity expansion is desired the CCI TNT 30 grain hollowpoint is a good choice, as they will expand at a full 200 yards from a rifle (I've tested a lot of 22 magnum and 22 long rifle bullets at extended ranges. The Winchester 22 long rifle Power Point is the only one that expands at 200 yards, BTW). There is no possible way, though, I would use the CCI TNT bullet as a defensive choice. Penetration just ain't there. Small varmints, sure.

Hunter, good to see you posting here from time to time. We've exchanged PM's on the m1911.org site a few times. There I go by the handle 1944Colt.

Hunter
07-17-2014, 10:39 PM
Hunter, good to see you posting here from time to time. We've exchanged PM's on the m1911.org site a few times. There I go by the handle 1944Colt.

Awesome! I always enjoyed your posts and saw a lot of familiarity with 1944Colt and 35temington posts, now I reckon I know why. I did get your phone message sometime back and I am sorry I missed you but I did not have your number.
I sure am glad to catch back up with you. Please give me a call when you have some time and we can catch up.

35remington
07-17-2014, 11:27 PM
PM me your number......I don't have it anymore. Let me know a good time to call as well.