PDA

View Full Version : A mauser for cast bullet work

Abert Rim
07-08-2014, 06:27 PM
I'm looking at 8mm Mausers and hope to choose a likely candidate for accuracy with cast bullets to use in our local military rifle match. So far, the choices boil down to two: a pristine Yugo 24/47 with minty bore, and a Turkish K. Kale 1938-style long rifle with excellent bore. I'm actually leaning toward the Turk for a couple of reasons: the added weight and longer sight radius, and the reputation of Turks with excellent bores for accuracy. It is also cheaper. Which would you choose, and why?

kens
07-08-2014, 06:42 PM
if the bores are equal, then I give the advantage to long sight radius.
Chambers, I think are a non-issue, because you are reloading your own fire-formed brass.

Now, if you could get a reciever peep sight behind that 29" barrel, you would REALLY have something!!!!

bruce drake
07-08-2014, 06:49 PM
Another is that the Turk is most likely a standard length action and would be easier to get a commercial stock later on. And yes, a Receiver Sight if you aren't scoping it is great advice.

Bruce

Abert Rim
07-08-2014, 06:52 PM
Thanks guys. Our match rules require the rifle to be in original as-issued configuration. Will probably grab the Turk.

Kraschenbirn
07-08-2014, 06:56 PM
I have an M48 Yugo and an M38 Turk and shoot the same CB load in both. So far as accuracy, there's not a whole lot of difference between the two. Using 'issue sights', either one will group 3"-4" @ 100M and, easily, stay on the 12" swinger plate @ 200M. Personally, I prefer the Yugo simply because it 'feels better' to me.

Bill

JWFilips
07-08-2014, 07:18 PM
I love my Turk ( Actually a GEW98 sent to Turkey) Redfield aperture receiver sights on rear and Lyman aperture target site on front...can't beat the 29" barrel
Very accurate

Abert Rim
07-08-2014, 07:42 PM
Mr. Filips, what boolit does your Turk like?

kens
07-08-2014, 10:01 PM
Lee website has 7mm&8mm molds on the closeout page today.

UBER7MM
07-08-2014, 11:30 PM
The Turk is a small threaded standard length action, the Yugo is a intermediate length action with large threads. You only need to know this if the one you buy needs a new stock some day.

I hope this helps,

Larry Gibson
07-08-2014, 11:49 PM
The Yugo 24/47 is a standard M98 action based on the CZ24 (guess where the Yugo's got the machinery to make them after WWII) that was adopted in '47. It will fit in stock for standard M98s and will also take standard M98 barrels. BTW; the Yugo M48 and M48A are the "intermediate" length actions.

Personally I would opt for the 24/47 if in pristine condition. The small extra sight radii of the turk will not make that much difference. Also I suggest you look at NOE's copy of the 32471 as a preferred and very accurate bullet for the 8x57 cartridge. My own Lyman 323471 fits the case/chamber perfectly of my own Yugo 24/47 with the GC at the base of the case neck and the long Loverin bearing surface sized (.325) for a perfect fit up into the long throat (free bore section) of the 8x57 chamber and the front drive band snuggled right up to the leade.....that makes the proverbial "perfect fit". The accuracy shows it also with moa accuracy quite common. I won several military matches with that rifle up in Washington years back.

Larry Gibson

UBER7MM
07-08-2014, 11:54 PM
The Yugo 24/47 is a standard M98 action based on the CZ24 (guess where the Yugo's got the machinery to make them after WWII) that was adopted in '47. It will fit in stock for standard M98s and will also take standard M98 barrels. BTW; the Yugo M48 and M48A are the "intermediate" length actions.

Larry Gibson

Larry, you are correct. I was thinking M48 when I wrote my post. I stand corrected.

Thank you.

frnkeore
07-09-2014, 02:12 AM
8 x 57 chambers have no freebore. They only have a .424 degree leade (per side) starting at the end of the case.

Frank

JWFilips
07-09-2014, 06:15 AM
Mr. Filips, what boolit does your Turk like?

It does very well with a few in particular.
In the 175 gr range I have shot a Custom Lee Ranch Dog FN with the best success. This is the most accurate in my rifle. A good friend sent me a bunch of them ready to shoot then loaned me his mould. I believe he said it was from a group buy years ago, however I have just purchased the same mould from NOE who now makes the Ranch Dogs it is the 325-180-RF
I haven't cast with that yet but think it is a good clone.

I also shoot the Lee 234-175-1R which is ok but not my first pick and the Lee 329-205-1R(sized down to .325") which I like very much & shoots the best at longer ranges. With gas check & lubed it weighs in at about 215 grains
I originally bought this mould to beagle up to fit the throat of my well worn 98K Sauer & Sohn Mauser (needs a .332" boolit) but I found if I cast it normally it drops at .329" which I find I can easily size in a .3255 honed sizer die.

Abert Rim
07-09-2014, 11:06 AM
Appreciate all the advice, gentlemen. After doing some more reading and Googling the 24/47, it would seem one of these with a pristine bore is not to be sneezed at for accuracy potential. I did not realize that these are all Model 1924 Mausers, most made by FN, that have had receivers scrubbed and then were rebuilt. And in fact, it appears the 24, 24/47 and 48 are all intermediate-length actions with large rings and small-ring receiver lengths. Apparently Paul Mauser was so enamored of this action and its superior stiffness and accuracy potential that he tried to sell it as the finest of the Mausers. Most nations demurred and preferred the standard-length action after all.

Larry Gibson
07-09-2014, 01:35 PM
8 x 57 chambers have no freebore. They only have a .424 degree leade (per side) starting at the end of the case.

Frank

Frank, we understand you are the end all expert and great guru of all things firearm related and go to great lengths to prove me wrong. However there is much difference of opinion as to what constitutes the "leade", the "free bore", the "case mouth taper" and the "throat" overall. The general accepted term for the beginning of the lands/rifling (again two different terms meaning the same thing) is most often referred to as the "leade" these days. Note I referred to it as "long throat (free bore section)" and not the "leade".

If you refer to Ludwig Olson's book on Mausers and the NRA publications written by the NRA technical staff you will find Mausers, including the 8x57 Mausers, have a "throat that is approximately 4 1/2 calibers in length". Many refer to that portion of the throat as the "free bore" whether you do or not. The fact is it is there, particularly in the 24/47 the OP is interested in.

However, in one sense you are correct in that the "chamber" has no freebore as it doesn't even though I did not say it did. It is the "throat" that has the freebore, just as I said.

Larry Gibson

Abert Rim
07-09-2014, 02:09 PM
Correction: Paul Mauser died in 1914, so I am not sure who it was who was enthused about the intermediate length action used in the 1924...

Based on advice here, I ordered the NOE 326471 mold, Lee handles, Lee dies, the Lee .323 sizer that I will hone to .325 using Buckshot's method and Privi brass.
Now to buy the danged rifle.

:-P

JRR
07-09-2014, 09:00 PM
I have two 24-47 rifles and also a Turk marked Ankara 1941. The Yugos are both "intermediate" length and are very accurate. Their chambers are not identical. One has tighter head space then the other and must have the shoulder a bit back from the other. The Turk has been converted into a "scout" and is also very accurate. The BRP sil, the NOE 326471 are very accurate in all three rifles. The 24-47s have beautiful blueing where the Turk has a well used finish.

I purchased a brand new, never installed Yugo military barrel from Widners for approx. 50.00 just to have for the future and other projects.

I believe Samco Global still has 24-47s in stock for less than $250.

Jeff

Abert Rim
07-09-2014, 09:22 PM
Jeff, that's what I paid out the door for what may be an unfired 24/47 from a local shop today. Eager to get the components and see what she'll do. I'll need to clean, polish and lube the trigger though.

PAT303
07-09-2014, 09:22 PM

Frank
Sorry but my Turk with K98k barrel has free bore,not enough for the Lee Max bullet but too much for Lymans 324366. Pat

Bad Ass Wallace
07-11-2014, 06:57 AM
Thanks guys. Our match rules require the rifle to be in original as-issued configuration. Will probably grab the Turk.
I use a Portugese Verigo in 8mm with excellent results using a 190gn Saeco boolit mould. These were originally 6.5mm and were rebored to 8mm with nice deep rifling and don't have the same generous leade that is evident on most K98's.

frnkeore
07-12-2014, 02:32 AM
Frank, we understand you are the end all expert and great guru of all things firearm related and go to great lengths to prove me wrong. However there is much difference of opinion as to what constitutes the "leade", the "free bore", the "case mouth taper" and the "throat" overall. The general accepted term for the beginning of the lands/rifling (again two different terms meaning the same thing) is most often referred to as the "leade" these days. Note I referred to it as "long throat (free bore section)" and not the "leade".

If you refer to Ludwig Olson's book on Mausers and the NRA publications written by the NRA technical staff you will find Mausers, including the 8x57 Mausers, have a "throat that is approximately 4 1/2 calibers in length". Many refer to that portion of the throat as the "free bore" whether you do or not. The fact is it is there, particularly in the 24/47 the OP is interested in.

However, in one sense you are correct in that the "chamber" has no freebore as it doesn't even though I did not say it did. It is the "throat" that has the freebore, just as I said.

Larry Gibson

No Larry, I'm not a guru, I just like to post accurate info if I have that information available. I design bullets to fit the throats of chambers so, I'm familar with chamber design. I also design my own chambering reamers for the rifles that I build.

So people don't get confused regarding a rifles throat. I'll do my best to explain it.

The throat is everything from the end of the case mouth, to where the leade brakes through the lands in the rifling. I've denoted the Throat by the blue lines that you see in the following drawings.

A freebore (shown in the 6.5 Rem Mag drawing) starts at the end of what Larry calls "case mouth taper" and is almost always a parallel cylinder of what ever length the designer thinks would be optimum for support, alignment and to set the proper COAL. I've denoted the freebore by the red lines.

One other use of it is to retard pressure build up, as in the case of the Weatherby cartridges. His freebore is usually much longer for that reason than other rifle chambers.

For clarification, the the leade can make up the entire throat of a rifle, as in the case of the 30/30, 32 Win Spec. and 38/55. Thoughs chambers start their throat at the end of the case mouth, with a single, continuous angle that transitions all the way through the lands.

Now the leade as depicted in most other chambers is a angular cut that can start at the end of the case mouth transition angle or can start at the end of the freebore, in either case, it cuts all the way through the lands and can even have multiple angles, as in the case of the 303 British. This I have depicted by yellow lines. For the 8 x57, the yellow line at the end of the leade and at the end of the throat is the same with the yellow drawn through the blue line.

If you measure the 8 x 57's leade, you'll find it to be 2.72 calibers long.

I hope this is helpful in explaining the throat and if you ever have a reamer made for yourself, either chamber, neck and throat or just a throating reamer, these are the terms the reamer maker will be looking for.

Frank

Larry Gibson
07-12-2014, 02:07 PM
That's pretty darn good Frank, you just eloquently explained exactly what I said the "throat" consisted of.

However, we see once again you've arm chaired it and are simply copying some drawing or data from the internet or some other source. I suggest you actually do something yourself for a change and make chamber casts of numerous M98 Mausers spanning the time period from the early 1900s to the 1950's as I have. I think you will find the throats of those rifles to be somewhat longer than the commercial SAAMI chamber specification drawing you are quoting from.

Let me quote from the NRA Technical Staff and Ludwig Olson (Mauser Bolt Rifles) regarding this;

"A long bullet lead, or throat, cut on a straight taper, in conjunction with a small amount of free travel, was provided to prevent excessive chamber pressure. This feature is quite evident upon visual examination of German military barrels and gives the impression that the chamber throat is badly worn. Length of the lead or throat in military barrels is 4 1/2 calibers."

Understand that? That is for "military barrels". Rifles with military barrels are the topic of this thread. Understand that? Your drawing and fine explanation (says the exact same thing I said about throats) is based on the SAAMI specifications for a commercial chamber, not a military chamber. Understand that?

Once again, thank you for your quite detailed explanation of the "throat" of a chamber as I described it and the basic separate parts there of. I am a bit confused though as you state; "I design bullets to fit the throats of chambers so, I'm familiar (SP corrected) with chamber design. I also design my own chambering reamers for the rifles that I build." Are you saying Paul Mauser enlisted your aid in designing the throats for the 8x57 chamber used in military rifles that were made probably before you were born? If not then how is what you design, based of the SAAMI chamber specifications for a commercial chamber, relevant to military chambers designed in 1905/1906 for the 8x57 cartridge and chambered in 118+ million M98 Mausers?

The discussion here is about military chambers Frank. Understand?

Larry Gibson

BTW; here are SAAMI's definition for the terms under discussion. They make it clear as mud.

CHAMBER LEADE
The conical part of the bore between the chamber and therifling. Also called Throat or Ball Seat.

BALL SEAT
See Leade.

LEADE (LEAD)
That section of the bore of a rifled gun barrel locatedimmediately ahead of the chamber in which the rifling is conically removed toprovide clearance for the seated bullet. Also called Throat or Ball Seat.

THROAT
See Leade (Lead).

FREE BORE
A cylindrical length of bore in a firearm just forward ofthe chamber in which rifling is not present. Associated with bullet jump.

FREE TRAVEL
See Bullet Jump.

BULLET JUMP
The distance that a bullet must travel from its position atrest in the cartridge case to its initial engagement of the rifling.

frnkeore
07-12-2014, 03:55 PM
That's pretty darn good Frank, you just eloquently explained exactly what I said the "throat" consisted of.

I fail to see where your explanation comes anywhere close to what I discribed or showed anyone what you where refering to.

I'm taking it that Paul Mauser must have channeled through you, when he designed rifles and chambers.

Can you please give us a FACTUAL account as how the SAAMI chamber spec's came to be? Where they perhaps based upon Paul Mausers design, or did they just "make them up". BTW, I doubt if Paul had anything to do with the 8 x 57's design. It was designed by the "Commision" that designed the GEW 88. Paul was upset by that one!! I think his first chamber was the 7.63 x 53 in 1889.

We all understand that military, especially war time, rifle production can be a bit loose on adhering to tolerances but, the basic chamber design remains the same and if your going to "fit" a bullet to a chamber and throat, you use the chamber design, unless you have a paticular rifle in hand.

For your information, I have 21 chambering reamers (including chamber, neck & throat and throating). 12 of them made to my spec's by either PTG or Hugh Henderikson (sucessor to Keith Francis), both are near by. The others are by various makers.

I'm sure that we would all be interested in the pictures and dimensions of your personal collection of chamber castings of all military calibers that you have and your description of how you accurately measured them.

Do/can you understand that? I can try to break it down to simpler terms if you like.

Here is hoping you understand,

Frank

Larry Gibson
07-12-2014, 06:52 PM
Oh Frank, you are just so clever! However, you "fail to see" so much because of your heartburn for me as you continually "fail to see" the forest for the trees.

Obviously you have failed in your research as the NRA technical publications and Ludwig Olson point out;

"The German Proof Law of 1939 covering commercial arms specifies that this bullet lead should be not less than 35mm or 1.377" long for the 8x57JScartridge. In this country (U.S.A.), cartridge and chamber dimensions for commercial small arms are standardized by a special committee of the Sporting Arms and Ammunition Institute (SAAMI) which furnishes the industry with drawings indicating maximum and minimum chamber dimensions. The SAAMI drawing for the 8mm Mauser chamber indicates a minimum bullet lead length of .8828", or .4942" less than that specified under the 1939 GermanProof Law. The net effect of this difference would be a slightly higher chamber pressure in barrels chambered according to American (SAAMI) dimensions.”

So Frank, how is that for “Can you please give us a FACTUAL account ashow the SAAMI chamber spec's came to be? Where (Were?) they perhaps based uponPaul Mausers design, or did they just "make them up".:guntootsmiley:

BTW; Paul Mauser did not design the 8x57 as you and I said. He and those involved in adapting the 8x57JS cartridge to the M98 action simply made the chamber modifications to make the8x57JS safe to use in the M98. The SAAMI dimensions came about by “special committee” as mentioned above and they came up with their own concepts for commercial 8x57 chambers in the U.S.A. which is not to be confused (as you obviously have confused it) with what the 1939 German Proof Law or the German military dimensions for the 8x57JS chamber specified.

So to finish Frank, let me quote someone from another thread; “Can we have one thread without this childish BS please.”:dung_hits_fan:

Larry Gibson

frnkeore
07-12-2014, 08:27 PM
This is not childish play, larry! It's called finding the facts!

If you had read with comprehension, my third paragraph, above, you would have seen that I had already addressed whether Paul Mauser had anything to do with the 8 x 57. The Gewehr Commision was responsible for it's design.

I did some research today and found that the leade of the 8 x 57, is indeed 35mm long and still in effect in Germany as of at least 2002.

What brought this up was your insistance that the 8 x 57 had a freebore in the throat. It does not! The angle of the leade has nothing to do with freebore. Yes, it does regarding the number of calibers to the length of it, it's actually 4 3/8 rather than the 2.72 that the SAAMI chamber has.

Now, did anyone learn anything from our discussion? I think they did.

Frank

Larry Gibson
07-12-2014, 09:58 PM
Whatever you say Frank..........

Larry Gibson