PDA

View Full Version : Diameter reduction of casings for jackets.

just bill
07-08-2014, 05:51 PM
I have been having a difficult time grasping the processes for the military case reduction in diameter for bullet jackets. I know BT is working on some ideas and a different approach by eliminating the thick base, since the extra thick brass is the first obstacle. I was informed by someone that additional annealing is needed for the extra thick walls (.04), as well as multiple passes through case reduction dies.The reduction
should be done in increments of .003. That could be, if starting with a base diameter of .474, that would be 5 reductions in size for a .458 plus additional annealing. If so 5 reducing dies is expensive. Then I started to research the various jacket reducing dies on the market I found a reference to ring dies and rings. Here is the rub, they do not seem to exist. The only company that made them is out of the swaging business, only
Reloading dies. Any one ever hear of such dies?
Thanks
Bill

runfiverun
07-08-2014, 06:38 PM
they also used to make ring type dies for the belted cases so you could use once fired brass.

now day's the carbide type dies have a ring in them you might be able to pick up a few not so custom sizes cheap enough. [and do a hacksaw type job on them]
you'll still need the correct punches for each step.

BT Sniper
07-08-2014, 07:08 PM
I got your draw die all fixed up, just needed a bit more polishing and a little fine tuning. A reduction of .020 - .030 per draw is not a problem, .003 at a time is too precautious and way to slow in my opinion.

Taking your annealed 308 case from .473 to .456 (only a .017 reduction) in one pass is a piece of cake with one pass threw your draw die.

Do not fret, you may be putting too much though or worry into it. I'll send you a detailed PM soon.

Brian

just bill
07-08-2014, 07:46 PM
I got your draw die all fixed up, just needed a bit more polishing and a little fine tuning. A reduction of .020 - .030 per draw is not a problem, .003 at a time is too precautious and way to slow in my opinion.

Taking your annealed 308 case from .473 to .456 (only a .017 reduction) in one pass is a piece of cake with one pass threw your draw die.

Do not fret, you may be putting too much though or worry into it. I'll send you a detailed PM soon.

Brian

Thanks, it just made me sick to trash that new die. Now on to the new bullets and a very happy SOCOM.
BILL