PDA

View Full Version : i won the lottery

stephenj
07-08-2014, 01:07 PM
ok i stretched the truth a tiny bit with the title . but i did win $1500
this morning i stopped at the gas station @ 3 am to fill up my car , after pumping my gas i had $ 2 left in my pocket .

im not sure why i bought the $2 scratch off lotto ticket .. i hardly ever buy them
its probably been 4-5 years since i last bought one .
i almost had a heart attack when i scratched it off and seen i won .

i had a hard time staying at work the full 8 hours ... i'm sure to quite a few people
$1500 bucks isnt a huge amount of extra cash ... but to me its quite substantial .

i think i have already decided what to spend the money on ... more lotto tickets :groner:

ok not realy ... i am going to buy a lathe a brand new grizzly g0602 10x22
i have wanted a bench top lathe for a few years now just havent been able to round up the extra cash all at once to buy one .

i'm dang excited

HITEK REDNEK
07-08-2014, 01:15 PM
LUCKY, you gotta buy em to win, guess that's why I never win. I'm too much of a tight wad.

Beagle333
07-08-2014, 01:24 PM
Congrats!!! Enjoy the new toy. :D

ph4570
07-08-2014, 01:43 PM
Enjoy the lathe. Mine is often put into service.

oldred
07-08-2014, 01:48 PM
ok not realy ... i am going to buy a lathe a brand new grizzly g0602 10x22
i have wanted a bench top lathe for a few years now just havent been able to round up the extra cash all at once to buy one .

i'm dang excited

NO, NO DON'T DO THAT IT'S A TRAP!!!!!!

Once you buy that lathe it becomes an insatiable compulsion and you will not be able to stop! Next you will need all the fancy little gadgets to go with it, dial indicators, mics, calipers, etc THEN once you find out what you can do with that lathe you will just have to have a small bench top mill and that will be only the beginning! Your life will never be the same and you will constantly be saying to yourself "if I just had one of these I could do,,,,,,,,," and so it will continue with no end!

Just joking of course although every word of it is the truth, just ask me how I know! That little lathe will be the beginning of a fun hobby like no other that will open doors to possibilities that one can only imagine, have fun with your new toy but remember YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!! :mrgreen:

osteodoc08
07-08-2014, 01:50 PM
Awesome. I never win.....but I don't play either. Never been a gambling man. Even when in Vegas, I played to play, went up $10, cashed out and bought the wife a coke and soft pretzel.

Don't forget about possibly becoming a sponsor here. Something I've been meaning to do. I'm sure you could spare $10-20 after that windfall, right?

Enjoy the lathe and be sure to practice safety first.

jonp
07-08-2014, 02:12 PM
Good for you! $1500 aint chmp change for me either. You are going to report yhat to the irs are you not?

novalty
07-08-2014, 02:18 PM
Congratulations!

sundog
07-08-2014, 02:50 PM
'extra cash' is an oxymoron... :bigsmyl2:

stephenj
07-08-2014, 03:47 PM
osteodoc08 .... way ahead of you , figured it was the least i could do for all the time spent here.

old red ... yea i already know it is a trap, a mill has been on that same list for a good while to.
some day i'll get one .
i have enough left after buying the lathe to get a few tools and be able to make chips once it shows up and i get it set up .

ticket is cashed and money in my acount .. once it shows on my balance tomarow i am calling grizzly

Deliverator
07-08-2014, 07:58 PM
Just remember to set aside some for your taxes. The lottery automatically reports that stuff.

oldred
07-08-2014, 08:08 PM
a mill has been on that same list for a good while to.
some day i'll get one

You will not regret buying that lathe and there's lots you can do with it even without a mill, a small home made milling attachment would be worth it's weight in gold! I started out by buying a JET 9x20 (same as the Harbor Freight, Grizzly, Enco, and a host of other names selling the SAME machine) then eventually bought a new 14x40 from HF, it has seen full time duty for nearly five years now and has been a really good machine. I made a small milling attachment for the little lathe so I could cut keyways in shafts I was making and I found it to be an incredibly handy tool, after buying the larger lathe I made one for it too but eventually bought a mill. As for other goodies don't overlook Harbor Freight, same things Grizzly has but just a different color and for less money. HF's cutting tools, carbide bits, etc are junk just like any Chinese cutting tool/bit but then they will be no matter who is selling them so the money spent for quality cutting tools from a place such as Enco is going to be money well spent! However HF's calipers, mics, dial indicators/stands, etc are as good as any of the imports (they should be since they are all just rebranded from the same source) but with the best prices anywhere, basicly any of the "Pittsburgh" or "central" brands at HF are a really good deal for the money, always buy on sale and you can get this stuff dirt cheap! I have HF Dial indicators, mics, calipers (both digital and dial) that I have used for years and they work great!

This is a really good place for quality tooling www.use-enco.com (http://www.use-enco.com) ,they have a monthly sale flyer that has most of the basics at really good prices but they often offer free shipping and 15% to 20-25% off specials even on discounted items already on sale making for some real bargains. Sometimes they even have discounts combined with free shipping allowing for some real deals on anything you might need, this place is an industrial supplier so they have EVERTHING.

stephenj
07-08-2014, 09:17 PM
taxes ... well evidently ohio lottery does not report until you win over a certian amount .
i cashed the ticket at walmart .. i signed john doe on the back and the nice lady handed me the cash .

old red .. i just got off the enco site , you are right there are a ton of enco coupons and codes out there . i ordered some machine and way oil , along with some tap magic and a few hss blanks a parting tool and a small boring bar.
with the free shipping and discount codes my order went from over $100 down to $68 .

i have plans on making a trip to harbor freight this weekend maybe , luckily the only measuring tool i need is an indicator and a base , and i agree .. if you pay attn to what you buy a lot of thir tools are very good value for the money .

if you are able to sometime i'd like to see a pic of your milling attachment , mostly interested in the vice you put on it .

it will be a lesson in patience getting tooled up , during the summer most of my fun money goes towards shooting ,... powder primers and such .
but rome wasnt built in a day so how ever long it takes .

now i also have to start scrounging some bar stock to play with

scaevola
07-08-2014, 09:29 PM
Congratulations. Buying yourself a lathe is a good use of the money.

aspangler
07-08-2014, 09:33 PM
Try this link. Great tools at a great price. http://www.cdcotools.com

GL49
07-09-2014, 12:51 AM
NO, NO DON'T DO THAT IT'S A TRAP!!!!!!

Once you buy that reloading press it becomes an insatiable compulsion and you will not be able to stop! Next you will need all the fancy little gadgets to go with it, powder measures, scales, case trimmers, tumblers,etc THEN once you find out what you can do with that reloading press you will just have to have a small bench top lead pot and luber, and that will be only the beginning! Your life will never be the same and you will constantly be saying to yourself "if I just had one of these I could do,,,,,,,,," and so it will continue with no end!

Just joking of course although every word of it is the truth, just ask me how I know! That little reloading press will be the beginning of a fun hobby like no other that will open doors to possibilities that one can only imagine, have fun with your new toy but remember YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!! :mrgreen:

The words have been changed to reveal the guilty. :razz:
Enjoy your new lathe and let us know what you accomplish with it.

smokeywolf
07-09-2014, 01:10 AM
That's fabulous! Investing in tools and tooling is never a mistake.

bob208
07-09-2014, 12:29 PM
1500 would look real good right now. it looks good any time. the best I have ever done is $25. but they say it is to help the senior citizens. so at 64 and retired my time should be here maybe the next one.

starmac
07-09-2014, 01:47 PM
Congrats on the ticket and the lathe. It is good to hear about good luck. lol.

stephenj
07-09-2014, 09:04 PM
thanks guys ... i wont go so far as to say i normaly have bad luck , no luck would be a apt term to describe my luck .

but the lathe is ordered and as it was in stock i should see it some time next week .
it sure doesnt take long to go from being obama rich to back to broke again .

on a side note .. i now see how all these lottery winners go from being millionaires to welfare checks so fast ... i won $1500 and spent $1600

MrWolf
07-09-2014, 09:11 PM
Congratz! Sounds like a good choice to me as I keep saying someday on my own lathe.

dakotashooter2
07-10-2014, 10:33 AM
It's the only gambling I do. I buy less than 50 tickets a year. I should just give it up. it's been 2 1/2 years since I even mached a SINGLE number on a lottery ticket. What are the odds of that?

DHurtig
07-10-2014, 12:44 PM
I bought one of the Grizzly lathes some years back. Internal gears were plastic. No end of problems. Do your homework. Get one with a #2 Morse taper and not the #1. Many more options available if you have the #2 Morse taper headstock and tailstock. Best of luck to you.

oldred
07-10-2014, 01:20 PM
That plastic gear(s) is a sacrificial part meant to fail first if you "crash" the lathe or bind the feed, don't let it crash and keep the lead screw clean and free of chips then it's no biggie. This is common to all the small Chinese lathes and while they all have their limitations the one the OP has chosen is a pretty good machine for it's size. It's not until the 12x24"-36" or larger that the Chinese machines start to resemble industrial lathes, at that point they are actually a LOT better than most folks think.

stephenj
07-10-2014, 05:55 PM
enco sure doent waste time shipping your order out .. two days from ordering to my door.
way oil and gear box oil ... considering the gear box holds like 9 ounces of oil the gallon should last quite awhile even with a few extra oil changes in the first few weeks to flush out any left over casting sand .
in the boxes is a live center , small boring bar , some hss blanks ,mt3 to jt 3 arbor for a drill chuck and a parting tool .

i also got a shipping confirmation from grizzly .. lathe should be here monday sometime .
that will give me the time i need to get a home cleared out for it and a bench built .

dhurtig

you must have one of the 7x10 or 7x14 lathes , from what i have gathered the 10x22 lathe only has 1 plastic sacrificial gear that oldred pointed out .
head stock on the 10x22 is a mt 4 and tail stock is a mt3.

oldred
07-10-2014, 06:16 PM
Good idea to dump the oil in the gear box when it arrives and before running it then flush out the box if practical, sometimes they come full of all kinds of junk!

GoodOlBoy
07-11-2014, 07:51 AM
Hey congrats! I hafta agree with you $1500 is a wad o currency to me and mine these days.

GoodOlBoy

Pereira
07-11-2014, 08:13 AM
'extra cash' is an oxymoron... :bigsmyl2:
:awesome:

BrassMagnet
07-11-2014, 09:26 AM
That's fabulous! Investing in tools and tooling is never a mistake.

I would add skills to your list.

Tools, tooling, and the skill to use them can't be beat!

stephenj
07-17-2014, 09:57 PM
Well here it is ... lathe showed up monday and it took me a few days to get it set up and chips flying .
I made a couple lube sizer dies and muzzle guides for a couple rifles ... now i just need another payday So i can buy some bar stock .. http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/07/18/jy7e7e6a.jpg

Beagle333
07-17-2014, 10:10 PM
Impressive!! That's gonna be handy.

scaevola
07-18-2014, 10:53 AM
Very cool addition to your toolbox!

You're already making good use of it.

oldred
07-18-2014, 07:07 PM
.. now i just need another payday So i can buy some bar stock .. http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/07/18/jy7e7e6a.jpg

I get a lot of stock from different E-Bay sellers and sometimes there are some real steals compared to buying from a dedicated metals supplier, this place has really good prices and they ship fast.

http://stores.ebay.com/midwestmetalwarehouse?_trksid=p2047675.l2563

slim1836
07-18-2014, 08:13 PM
The only lottery I won was the one for the draft, I got #1 back in 71 or 72.
Still have my draft card showing my random sequence number as 001.
Somewhere (can't find right now) still got my letter from selective service with that # also.

Just my kind of luck.

Slim