PDA

View Full Version : Oops: .30-30 Boolits advice?

FromTheWoods
01-20-2008, 10:55 PM
Well, I goofed.

Because I have yet to learn to cast my own, I purchased 1000 bullets from Laser Cast for my '94 .30 WCF Takedown, 26" Octagon, DOM=1924, beautiful bore. Since this is a new rifle for me, I was looking forward to working up an accurate load for it using H4895.

Cleaned the brass, measured, figured I'd need to trim to uniform length, decided to get the dies set up, opened a box of 500 and SURPRISE!--those bullets have a base just begging to snuggle into a gas check.

No Problem! Except, I do not do gas checks yet.

So I have 1000 slugs that I will not be playing with.

What would you folks recommend--besides getting a clue and using it the next time I order a batch of bullets?

Would it be wise to purchase equipment and learn to add gas checks to these slugs?

Exchange the bullets and find a different, regular based style?

Do you suppose this rifle will need a gas checked slug anyway in order to shoot accurately?

If I do stay with a flat based bullet, which brand/company is normally the best for shooting out of these older Winchesters?

Other suggestions or ideas?

Also, I'll be loading for another .30 WCF DOM=1903.

68 couper
01-20-2008, 10:59 PM
Get in on the gas check group buy.

pumpguy
01-20-2008, 11:04 PM
Are you sure they are gas check? Some of the commercial cast bullets are just beveled at the bottom.

FromTheWoods
01-20-2008, 11:21 PM
They are unlike any base I've ever loaded.

http://www.laser-cast.com/30Cal.html

jjamna
01-20-2008, 11:27 PM
If they were mine I would load them like they are. I have 2 molds 120 gr and 160 grain both are gas check bullets. They shoot just as good without checks as they do with. Just keep your speed down.

Blammer
01-20-2008, 11:29 PM
the pic don't tell me much on the bullet.

can you take a pic of them,showing the base better?

MT Gianni
01-20-2008, 11:34 PM
The photos appear to show a check base. I would buy a box of checks and order a LEE 310 lube and size kit for about $10-15. That will allow you to seat the checks. Shoot them bare for now with lite loads but don't load too many. Gianni

454PB
01-21-2008, 02:01 AM
It's hard to imagine why anyone would sell cast boolits that require a gas check....and then not install them. I agree with MT Gianni, you have already invested four times what the Lee sizer kit costs, and it will install the gas checks for you.

LET-CA
01-21-2008, 02:32 AM
I'd make a phone call to the outfit that sold you the bullets to verify the necessity of using a gas check. From the photos on the link you posted, I don't think they do. The pictured bullets look ready to shoot (lubed and everything) and there isn't a gas check in sight. You might be worrying over a non-issue.

FromTheWoods
01-21-2008, 02:51 PM
I've bought bullets from Laser Cast for a decade(?). This is not one of their normal bases.

Were you to look at the bullet in hand, I'd say you would agree that it does need a gas check.
Also, while reading last night information on how gas checking works, I did find other posts on other forums that discuss gas checking this same slug from Laser Cast.

So, it appears I need to learn how to install gas checks.

Are the odds good that the two rifles I will be loading for will shoot accurately with gas checked bullets?

Dr. A
01-21-2008, 03:33 PM
http://www.gmdr.com/lever/lowveldata.htm

Here is some good low velocity data using the above mentioned Oregon trail 30-30 bullets. Keep your velocity down and shoot away!

I've used 6gr. of HS-6 or up to 10gr. of 2400. They are both very accurate. My kids shoot these.

Jon K
01-21-2008, 04:40 PM
I'd send them back and ask them to replace it with Plain Base equal 150 or 170 grain.

good luck,
Jon

KYCaster
01-21-2008, 11:10 PM
It's hard to imagine why anyone would sell cast boolits that require a gas check....and then not install them.

That's an easy one...time and cost. The casting, sizing, lubing operations are automated. I don't know of a readily available, relatively cheap machine that installs gas checks.

Installing GCs by hand at a rate of three to four hundred and hour vs. automated sizing at four to six thousand an hour, and factor in the cost of the GC which is about equal to the cost of the cast boolit, would increase the retail price to pretty close to the same as jacketed bullets...just not cost effective.

Jerry

Throckmorton
01-22-2008, 05:04 PM
LaserCast does sell bullets with checks installed for a LOT more money than what you boiught.

I'd compare the time and cost of doing it yourself vs. sending them back.

http://www.laser-cast.com/trueshot.html

FromTheWoods
01-22-2008, 11:54 PM
Sending them back is not what I want to do. Seems I could use that shipping money to get a step or two toward installing gas checks.

Yes, I saw their TrueShot bullets--A bit spendy for sighting in, working up accurate loads, and plinking, plinking, and....

I just need to learn what it takes to install gas checks and see if the cost is sane.

Ben
01-23-2008, 12:15 AM
If your bullets are designed for a gas check , they should look very similar to this at the base:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v494/haysb/SAECO%20315/PICT0006.jpg

softpoint
01-23-2008, 12:16 AM
Some commercial cast bullets do have gas check bases, and I believe thatis one of them. .30 cal in laser cast may be thier only one, but Hunter's Supply here in Tx. sells several lubed bullets with gaschecked bases in calibers that may be used in rifles. I have some 330 gr. .430 truncated cone style bullets they make for the .444 that have gascheck bases. I just run them through my .431 sizer with a check on them and they are ready to go. You could do it just as well with a Lee sizer kit and then put a little liquid alox on them if you think that the lube they used may be a problem. I have put gaschecks on bevel base bullets for years. That works also, and will sometimes make otherwise worthless cheap commercial cast slugs into pretty good bullets(I've only done this with pistol bullets)

Scrounger
01-23-2008, 12:59 AM
Sending them back is not what I want to do. Seems I could use that shipping money to get a step or two toward installing gas checks.

Yes, I saw their TrueShot bullets--A bit spendy for sighting in, working up accurate loads, and plinking, plinking, and....

I just need to learn what it takes to install gas checks and see if the cost is sane.

Buy a Lee Cast Bullet Sizer ($15) in whatever diameter they are and use it to seat the gas checks. Your total cost is $15 for the sizer (which you can resale) plus whatever the gas checks cost you.

northmn
01-23-2008, 03:46 PM
I bought some Lazer Cast awhile back just like those. Had a real heck of a time putting the gas checks on as they were a very tight fit. Never really got my 30-30 to shoot as well with them as with other bullets. Like the advice of getting the Lee sizer as they work very well. I have been using the bullets as a hardener and recast as plinkers for other bullets that work for me.

Northmn

stillhunter
01-23-2008, 07:06 PM
Keep the volocity down below 850 fps and you should be fine. Might show as a great 50 yd load for the wife and kids.

Griff
01-24-2008, 03:54 AM
Are the odds good that the two rifles I will be loading for will shoot accurately with gas checked bullets?Yes. I've shot GC boolits from a Saeco #316 mold for many years. I get the same velocity as factory ammo, and better accuracy. These are very hard near 23Bhn. If you shoot them sans check, drop your velocity down to below 1400fps. And be prepared to go lower if you find accuracy is down. Good luck.

xtimberman
02-21-2008, 07:00 PM
Have you thought about using cardboard "gaschecks". I've loaded mild target charges with that same bullet and a cardboard disc in place of the metal gascheck. Save the expensive gaschecks for hotter loads.

My favorite material for these are Dr Pepper or Coors Light cartons with the metallic paint finish. You can quickly make a .30 cal. wad cutter by sawing off the base of a .30 Carbine case and sharpening the mouth with a case chamfer tool. Tap out some card wads or chuck it up in your 3/8" drill and cut out a dozen or so at a time.

xtm

FromTheWoods
02-22-2008, 03:33 AM
Just shot a sample with polyester powder filler. That seems to have helped. Just shooting specks on the dirt bank.

I'll load another batch and get them on paper to know what is happening with them.

XTM,
I'm a Timberman's son. Dad logged most all his life.

JSH
02-22-2008, 10:42 AM
These were some of the first commercial CB's I ever bought. Their guarranty of not leading is a crock. I called and told them what I was shooting them in. First response was marlin's will always lead and were a *** when it comes to CB's. The response on the other 30's I was shooting were the guns were old, worn and would not ever be able to shoot CB's with out leading. He also siad I was more than likley shooting them to fast.
So at that point I was new and didn't know any better. So I took it as the gospel.
Talked to Ken one night and he suggested to give them a dose or two of alox. I did and it did help, but still leaded. I was about to all but give up on cast stuff. Then it just kind of took off from there.
I cast up some my own slugs, lubed them up and loaded. I was already to get after cleaning the bores again after a range session. Not a spot of lead any where.

I still have a few of the laser cast left in 30 caliber. I did check a few of them, they still leaded everything I tried them in, even the K31 and that was after I checked them and ran them through the 309 push through and aloxed them again! I called them back and this was after over a year of having nothing but good to great results with MY boolits. The guy was nothing less than an ****. He claimed that he had NEVER heard of anyone having problems with leading with HIS bullets. I said maybe, just maybe i got a bad batch? NO WAY I was told. I did mention that I myself didn't think it to be good to advertise or make a statement of the them being a PB and they are actually a GC type. That statement didn't go over good either.
Not one time was I ever offered to exchange them or replace them in these two phone conversations. That chapped me as much as anything. I am going to just use the few left that are not checked to bump the alloy in the next few casting sessions.
I can't say I would never buy any more LC after this, as I ran across a couple of K for cheap. Some in 38 and a few in 45. I don't have high expectations from any of them and they me relegated back to the pot.
I know others here and yon have had good to great results, i sure was not one of them.
Jeff

johnly
02-22-2008, 01:40 PM
"FromtheWoods" I just PMed you. Hopefully you're close to my location and we can meet up.

John

Whit Spurzon
02-25-2008, 06:44 PM
I shoot a lot of those bullets with and without gaschecks. The lee sizer works well to install the gas checks. Its and excellent bullet that is very accurate in my Marlins and my 30-06 Remingtons