PDA

View Full Version : FTR'd No.4 MkI Value?

OKSaddletramp
07-08-2014, 11:10 AM
I have a No.4 MkI that I haven't had out to shoot in about 8 years, so maybe it's time to think about selling her. (I still have a No.5 sporter that's a great shooter.) But current prices I've seen at gunshows have been all over the place, and most have been outrageous (another reason to sell now). The bolt has no serial number, only the letter "F" stamped inside the lug channel and a cartouche on the bolt head (and a size "2" stamp). The frame, stock and magazine do have matching numbers, but the number on the frame appears to be hand stamped with numbers out of alignment. Above the serial number on the wrist is stamped "M/47C", also by hand with the year 1944 below that. All markings on the side of the receiver appear to be hand engraved and I can see no strike throughs. At the bottom of the wrist, there is an import mark: "IAC ALEX. VA" The rear of the barrel is stamped ".303 BRIT U.K." next to the vent hole. There are no other barrel markings. The metal hardware is all in fairly good shape, with a parkerized finish. When I got it, the wood was a disaster; full of grease, dirt, paint and I don't know what all. No knowing much about Enfields at the time, I stripped the stock and forearms down to the wood and gave it 20 coats or so of tongue oil. A vast improvement in looks, and I could now see the serial number in the forestock. Can anyone tell me what she is worth? While I have hunted with this rifle and it is nice and accurate, she's just too heavy for me to comfortably carry anymore, and it's time to replace her with something I will actually shoot. Pictures:

Der Gebirgsjager
07-08-2014, 10:50 PM
They say that "fools rush in where angels fear to tread", and perhaps I'm being foolish since no one else had bothered to answer you. Well, if they did bother, I'm sure you'd hear criticism about having refinished the stock----but it looks great to me. I like my guns to look as nice as possible. After all, it's your gun and it was for you, so it was your call. But now you want to sell it, and the collector purist crowd will turn their backs on it. I can't tell a great deal from the markings you describe, but there aren't many of them. As for numbers appearing to be hand stamped and out of line, they were, and most of them are. Were I you I would list it on GunAuction or Gunbroker at the minimum I wanted to sell it for and let nature take it's course. I'm thinking a starting price of $225. There are probably others out there that like nice looking rifles also. You'll probably be surprised at what it sells for. Best of luck.

Bloodman14
07-10-2014, 03:04 AM
The 'M47C' mark is a BSA Shirley mark; can be hard to find, there weren't that many made by them. $225.00 is a fair price to ask. That is a fine looking rifle, I would not go lower than $200.00. If I had the cash, I'd buy it myself.:sad:

OKSaddletramp
07-10-2014, 02:44 PM
The 'M47C' mark is a BSA Shirley mark; can be hard to find, there weren't that many made by them. $225.00 is a fair price to ask. That is a fine looking rifle, I would not go lower than $200.00. If I had the cash, I'd buy it myself.:sad:

THX for the info, Gunnerd. I knew it was manufactured by BSA Shirley from the SN, but '47 was when it was FTR'd, and it's nice to know that they did the FTR as well. I did worry somewhat about tongue oiling the stock, but after getting the gunk removed, I loved the look of the birch stock so much, I wanted to preserve it (and I didn't have access to the original British stock oil).

On a related note, further checking on my "No 5" shows it was actually a No. 4 made in 1952, and modded (probably by the importer, Golden State Arms) later. It was originally made by Fazerkely (sp) and appears to never been issued.

303Guy
07-11-2014, 02:09 AM
That rifle would be worth quite a fair amount in my parts. The wood work looks real nice. of course US dollar and NZ dollar values differ somewhat. I should think NZ$600 to 800 might be true. I wouldn't let my 'sporterized' No4 go for less than NZ$600. But then it is a mint rifle.

bubba.50
07-11-2014, 02:14 AM
there's several on gunbroker in the two to three hundred dollar price range.

Hardcast416taylor
07-11-2014, 11:50 AM
If you tried to sell it to a gun shop expect a low ball offer of $150 to maybe $185 for it. To sell to a private individual I`d say $250 to $290. It does look very slick with the refinished wood and dark finished metal I must say.Robert

OKSaddletramp
07-11-2014, 12:59 PM
If you tried to sell it to a gun shop expect a low ball offer of $150 to maybe $185 for it. To sell to a private individual I`d say $250 to $290. It does look very slick with the refinished wood and dark finished metal I must say.Robert

The metal finish is original; I didn't touch it, other than to clean it up some. The wood was covered in grease, tar, and dirt over a fire engine red paint job (?). I let it soak in degreaser over night and the wonderful birch grain was what was left. I spent more time with the tongue oil than all the other work combined. Not bad for a $85 gun show find.

Scharfschuetze
07-11-2014, 04:18 PM
Why not just keep it? If it's getting too heavy for field use, just shooting at the range might be the answer. As it's been refinished, you might also consider an aftermarket stock that would reduce the weight considerably. Keep the old hardware and stock should you ever want to put her back in military guise again.

Value wise? Hard to say. Unaltered versions were going for $500 plus at the last Washington Arms Collector's gun show. The altered ones, not nearly as nice as yours, were in the $250 range.

OKSaddletramp
07-11-2014, 07:31 PM
Why not just keep it? If it's getting too heavy for field use, just shooting at the range might be the answer. As it's been refinished, you might also consider an aftermarket stock that would reduce the weight considerably. Keep the old hardware and stock should you ever want to put her back in military guise again.

Value wise? Hard to say. Unaltered versions were going for $500 plus at the last Washington Arms Collector's gun show. The altered ones, not nearly as nice as yours, were in the $250 range.

Hmm; a new stock might just make this into a shooter again. She's really accurate and I have enjoyed shooting her in the past.

Since confirming my "No 5" was a "factory Bubba", I looked at synthetic stocks for it. Maybe for this one, too. Which would be better for maintaining accuracy/ reduced weight, the ATI Monte Carlo or the Champion?

Bloodman14
07-11-2014, 09:03 PM
Get the ATI; best aftermarket stock there is, IMO.

Kevinakaq
07-12-2014, 09:17 PM
Killed two deer last year, one freestanding at 150 yrds, with my sporterized ati stocked longbranch No.4 Mk1*. I can find no fault in the ati stock...

with an ati no drill scope mount and a 50mm scope rifle still weights in at 9.3 lbs. unloaded.

OKSaddletramp
07-12-2014, 10:26 PM
It looks like ATI is a winner; besides, Champion/RamLine is sold out for now. I already have a B Square mount I got for the carbine, but I'll probably leave the micrometer sight alone. I worked well enough whyen I used it for hunting; took two bucks with it about 10 years ago, myself.

Now to just shoot up the Winchester and PPU factory ammo while it's still heavy enough for the recoil, then it's cast only from now on. Need to work up some loads with H4895 and WC867. Unless someone's got a sweet load using 3031 with the 155gr Lee or 185gr Lee?

OKSaddletramp
07-19-2014, 03:36 PM
Should have done this long ago.111105

Got the ATI stock and installed it. Only took 15 minutes (mostly getting the old stock bolt out). Fits nice and tight; and, my, the WEIGHT, or lack thereof!

I know most here in Milsurp land prefer real, honest to goodness wood on their old battle rifles, but this is so much more comfortable, I'll actually enjoy shooting it again. Plus, I still have all the original wood and hardware and can restore it at a later date, if I wish.

Now, just have to wait till the range dries out. Three straight days of rain have it flooded out.

Oh, yeah. I just ordered a beat up magazine that I'm going try to make into a flush-fit 5 rounder, to clean up the lines even more.

Scharfschuetze
07-19-2014, 08:47 PM
Nice! Love it when a plan comes together.

WILCO
07-20-2014, 10:06 AM
Should have done this long ago.

Looks great! Glad you decided to keep the rifle.

303Guy
07-21-2014, 02:41 AM
That new stock looks a lot like mine but my fore-end is sooo heavy I have dumped it for a much lighter wood one (cut down military). That's on a SMLE action with a SMLE profiled 25/303 barrel.

OKSaddletramp
07-21-2014, 08:51 PM
This ATI stock is very light all the way around, and very well balanced. The only drawback might be the hard plastic buttplate; if I ever want to shoot full power loads in it again, I might have to chop it back a half inch or so to fit a recoil pad. The length of pull is right at max for me as it sits.

crazy mark
07-21-2014, 09:16 PM
THX for the info, Gunnerd. I knew it was manufactured by BSA Shirley from the SN, but '47 was when it was FTR'd, and it's nice to know that they did the FTR as well. I did worry somewhat about tongue oiling the stock, but after getting the gunk removed, I loved the look of the birch stock so much, I wanted to preserve it (and I didn't have access to the original British stock oil).

On a related note, further checking on my "No 5" shows it was actually a No. 4 made in 1952, and modded (probably by the importer, Golden State Arms) later. It was originally made by Fazerkely (sp) and appears to never been issued.

Golden state arms made a lot of Faux NO 5's. See them a lot on the west coast. People bought them as they were a lot cheaper and many didn't know what they were buying. Many a seller at gunshows try to push them as the real thing.

303Guy
07-22-2014, 01:32 AM
if I ever want to shoot full power loads in it again, I might have to chop it back a half inch or so to fit a recoil pad.I wish you guys didn't have that suppressor restriction. My simple device cuts recoil big time and reduces muzzle blast big time too (but is not a full suppressor). I have a scope on my No.4 303 and I don't have to bother with a firm hold or recoil pads. I don't even have contact with the but when shooting prone! It just moves back a little (more than I can feel, I'm sure). Anyway, I'm keen on hearing your range reports. :Fire: