PDA

View Full Version : Pistol powders

hanleyfan
07-08-2014, 10:57 AM
How long is it going to be before we see of pistol powders readily available? Rifle powders seem to be coming available more now but I have not seen any pistol powders any where. Is it going to be 2 years, 3 or maybe 4 years? I never dreamed it would be this long without any being available, I can remember you could serf the web looking for the best price and could get them on sale many times, now they are no where to be found, I have a friend that thinks the higher powers in the USA are blocking the sales of pistol powders, I used to laugh at him but the longer this goes on the more I am thinking there might be something to that line of thought. Why are the rifle powder fairly common place now, my local shop had a whole self of rifle powders but not one pistol powder of any kind was no where to be found. I have about 2 lbs of universal left and I might have to conserve it the best I can if this does not get better.

Naphtali
07-08-2014, 11:02 AM
Is H110 among powders you seek?

9w1911
07-08-2014, 11:12 AM
go to gunbot.net check in constantly have your card ready to go, just yesterday 3rd Generation had Green Dot, Power Pistol, Promo and I think Red Dot, another online dealer had WST

Bonz
07-08-2014, 11:13 AM
At the 2014 Shot Show, the Hodgdon Rep stated that we won't see any improvement in availability of smokeless powder until 2015

http://youtu.be/v4I7YAamFrc

9w1911
07-08-2014, 11:17 AM
of all the brands Hodgdon/Winchester have been the slowest on the market. IMR and Alliant seem to be just fine.
After all of this I am beginning to have an affinity for Alliant do to the fact they are available, the seem to be shipping and actually trying to meet the demand. Hodgdon not so much.

( I know Hodgdon owns IMR)

hanleyfan
07-08-2014, 11:26 AM
thats just the point, everytime I check gunbot.net rifle powders available but what few pistol powders come up are sold out instantly because the few that come up for sale, why? why don't the manufacturers produce what is in demand instead of just keep shipping our rifle powders? I can go out buy all the rifle powders I want, problem is I shoot very little rifle powders, most my shooting is with pistol powders. I honestly thing that as long as we have the administration that's in charge in the USA things will not change.

bangerjim
07-08-2014, 11:32 AM
The can't take your guns.............so they take what you feed them! That has been the plan all along.

banger

HITEK REDNEK
07-08-2014, 01:48 PM
I couldn't agree more, imo that's what the government is doing, they can't take our 2nd amendment from us as easily as taking ammo & ammo components from us. Thus is the reason for me getting started in reloading & casting my own ammo.

runfiverun
07-08-2014, 03:50 PM
if you look hard enough you can usually find some.
it took me about 4 months but I finally got 8 pounds of red-dot.
I recently swapped a friend 8 pounds of unique for some AA-4100 [i'll find a use for it somewhere]
unfortunately I use red-dot in shot shells as well as handgun loads,, so 8 pounds is about nothing.
I did work up a shot shell load using titegroup to get me by before I found the red-dot.

if you wanna keep on shooting you gotta be flexible, there are probably 10-30 suitable powders for your application.

captaint
07-09-2014, 07:32 AM
Last week I took a chance and called a LGS about 40 mins away. They had Titegroup. I took a long lunch and got a couple of pounds. That'll last me a while. $23/ pound. Not that bad. Mike

Geraldo
07-09-2014, 07:47 AM
I've bought Blue Dot, 2400, and Unique in the last few months and I've seen H110, 700X, and Longshot. Maybe you can't find your favorite, but you can adapt.

Bullshop
07-09-2014, 09:14 AM
My LGS had some Power Pistol and 800x last week in a new shipment. Most, if not all shotshell powders seem to be MIA, but Titewad seems to be an exception. Hodgdon's supplier of the Clays series had a fire more than a year ago, and should soon be back in production.
This is going to make me look like a huckleberry or I guess be telling of the truth but I have to ask, what is an LGS?

M-Tecs
07-09-2014, 09:24 AM
Local Gun Store. First time I saw it I searched the web for a company called "LGS". :bigsmyl2:

tonyjones
07-09-2014, 11:49 AM
From one huckleberry to another, yes, LGS is local gun store. However, I do not find my LGS via internet search, I use GPS. LOL, TJ

9w1911
07-09-2014, 12:15 PM
huckleberry milkshakes!!!!

9w1911
07-09-2014, 12:20 PM
Oh you need to check gunbot constantly, I check it all the time because I am a web designer and I work from home, so I check gunbot as much as I check email or more, I have not seen any pistol powders today but nit much has been updated. My buddy at the local Cabelas seemed pretty upset I was ordering powder from the big online guys because he said what was not going to make ammunition was going to the online dealers first.
If you want please PM an email or phone number and I can email or text you when I find pistol powder online.
BTW it a bit pricey for me but every week VV has available pistol powders.
Also if you want AA9/H110 Gi Brass has wc820: which I love.
Anyone in Reno want to split an order of wc820 ?

chuckbuster
07-10-2014, 07:12 AM
Store here has a fair selection and a sign, 1 pound of powder per "flavor" limit......

dakotashooter2
07-10-2014, 10:27 AM
Keep in mind that some pistol powders are also shotgun powders so the demand for them is doubled.

country gent
07-10-2014, 10:37 AM
Right now I was told there are quanities of powder at Camp Perry on commercial row Fin Feather Furs, and several other huts have powders and primers. Thats at Port Clinton Ohio. Will only be open a few weeks during te national matches

AK Caster
07-10-2014, 01:15 PM
Any powder I been looking for and that includes Unique, Bullseye, and Power Pistol I have been able to find within 1 week by searching gunbot 15-20 times a day. And this does not include buying it from Cabelas because they are super high in price.
Natchez, 3rd Generation, Powder Valley, and sometimes Graf's are the places I been buying from.

David2011
07-11-2014, 01:38 AM
Local Gun Store. First time I saw it I searched the web for a company called "LGS". :bigsmyl2:

To further confuse, one local gun store near my home is actually named LGS- Larry's Gun Shop, so the LGS is LGS. [smilie=1:

I buy from them when the prices are in line. Sometimes they are not. I have no qualm with the high prices; just tell him I'll wait until the price is more to my liking.

David

9w1911
07-11-2014, 12:09 PM
I always called it local gun shop LOL