PDA

View Full Version : Warning- 7.62x39 brass cases, some are brass coated steel

mjwcaster
07-07-2014, 05:58 PM
I sold some brass 7.62x39 cases last week, the first buyer just received them.
Turns out some of them were brass coated steel, he noticed they felt different, and had rust inside.
So he checked them out with a magnet.

So if you are selling/buying them it is just one more thing to check for.

I am sorry I didn't think to check, never dealt with them before and hope not to again.

I hate selling something not as advertised and thought this might help others buying/selling these cases.

Matt

Jupiter7
07-07-2014, 09:00 PM
Copper washed? Pretty common. Never heard of brass coated.

tomme boy
07-07-2014, 10:19 PM
Yes they are brass coated. There are some really nice looking nickle coated 223 as well. Not the galvanized ones. These look exactly like a USA made nickle coated one. The brass looking ones are slightly off color.

dtknowles
07-07-2014, 11:47 PM
I sold some brass 7.62x39 cases last week, the first buyer just received them.
Turns out some of them were brass coated steel, he noticed they felt different, and had rust inside.
So he checked them out with a magnet.

So if you are selling/buying them it is just one more thing to check for.

I am sorry I didn't think to check, never dealt with them before and hope not to again.

I hate selling something not as advertised and thought this might help others buying/selling these cases.

Matt

Dude, check the headstamp. If it is not clearly RP, Win, S&B, etc. check it with a magnet. Did you check for Boxer vs. Berdan primers, I would not mind steel cases if they are Boxer primed.

Tim

JeffinNZ
07-08-2014, 12:31 AM
Almost all the 12 gauge trap ammo used at our club now is brass coated steel. I wondered why we bought magnetic sticks to pick up hulls.

dondiego
07-08-2014, 10:15 AM
The nickel plated steel .223's were mentioned but I have found nickel plated 7.62 x 39's as well. The magnet don't lie and the flashlight detected the two small holes in the case head. They are sticking to my refrigerator right now along with a Canadian dime.

tomme boy
07-08-2014, 10:21 PM
I see the nickle plated 7.62 ones all the time. But they are not the same as the highly polished and finished 223 ones I have been seeing lately. The ones that are not as shiny are zinc coated.