PDA

View Full Version : CB-friendly barrel for 1911?

RG1911
07-07-2014, 11:37 AM
My IPSC competition 1911 currently has a Schuemann barrel that groups my cast loads into about 2.5 inches at 25 yards off a rest.

Although part of the problem is old eyes that need a new shooting glasses prescription, I can't help but think that a tight, 'smithed 1911 should do better with cast bullets (H&G #68 mold, 200-gr SWC, sized .452).

Are there any barrels that are known to be cast bullet friendly? (The one or two IPSC shooters I know who still use .45 are using jacketed bullets.)

Thank you,
Richard

OuchHot!
07-07-2014, 03:51 PM
I have a 1911 that was rebuilt with a Kart barrel. It works well but I honestly paid no attention whatever to the particulars of the barrel. For me, the 1911 is generally cast friendly with a bit harder boolit than what I would use in a revolver of the same velocity.

Mack Heath
07-07-2014, 04:26 PM
My understanding from bullseye shooting with the .45, Bar-Sto for jacketed and Kart for lead.

cwheel
07-07-2014, 06:10 PM
If you are going to do cast, stay away from any chrome lined barrel. You might need to come back and run a throating reamer through to properly headspace the cast boolit you end up using. Can't run a throating reamer through a chrome lined barrel, chrome is to hard for the reamer to cut. The need to throat the barrel ends up being needed for cast mostly, not for any jacketed or hardball. Non chrome barrel leaves your options open should you need it.
Chris

Larry Gibson
07-07-2014, 07:01 PM
My IPSC competition 1911 currently has a Schuemann barrel that groups my cast loads into about 2.5 inches at 25 yards off a rest.

Although part of the problem is old eyes that need a new shooting glasses prescription, I can't help but think that a tight, 'smithed 1911 should do better with cast bullets (H&G #68 mold, 200-gr SWC, sized .452).

And you want to replace the barrel for IPSC shooting? This is a jest, right?

Larry Gibson

wv109323
07-08-2014, 07:54 PM
You are right that a 1911 is capable of better accuracy than 2.5" at 25 yards. With a Schuemann barrel it should already be custom fit to your firearm. ( I don't remember a "drop-in" Schuemann, to my knowledge all were oversize and need to be fitted). A properly fit barrel should be capable of 1 to 1 1/2" at 25 yards.
I would examine my reloads and reloading procedures(especially if I cast my own bullets) to see if they can be improved. Try some factory loads.

RG1911
07-09-2014, 11:08 AM
You are right that a 1911 is capable of better accuracy than 2.5" at 25 yards. With a Schuemann barrel it should already be custom fit to your firearm. A properly fit barrel should be capable of 1 to 1 1/2" at 25 yards.
I would examine my reloads and reloading procedures(especially if I cast my own bullets) to see if they can be improved. Try some factory loads.

Thank you. Yes, the Schuemann was custom-fit by a very good 1911 'smith.

Checking loads and procedures is exactly what I'm going to do, just as soon as my new 200-gr SWC Ballisti-Cast mold arrives (it's been shipped). This is the plain-base version. My H&G 68 for the 200-gr SWC is the bevel-base version. Also have a couple new powders to try.

Richard

BD
07-09-2014, 10:20 PM
i believe I remember Schuemann making some gain twist barrels in the past. I wouldn't think they'd be very cast friendly.

slughammer
07-10-2014, 01:24 AM
Thank you. Yes, the Schuemann was custom-fit by a very good 1911 'smith.

Checking loads and procedures is exactly what I'm going to do......Also have a couple new powders to try.

Richard
In my experience I didn't see measurable differences in group sizes at 50 yards with different powders in 45 acp. (Not anything more than random randomness within the sample size). My BarSto fitted 1911 does 1-1/2 at 25 for 10 shots as long as I do my part. Bench technique is an art for repeatable results with a hand gun. I use a small bag on a 4x4x12 block that has screw heads sticking out for feet. I rest the dustcover firmly into the bag. My arms are supported by the bench, my upper body and head are low. The magazine is NOT in contact with the bench or anything else. Consistent grip pressure with both hands. HG 68 loaded to 1.250 OAL and any fast pistol powder gets the same result. Either your barrel hates that boolit or something else is wrong. Do you have a completely different style you can try? Either a 230 rn, lyman 452460 or an HG130?

wv109323
07-11-2014, 09:44 PM
A couple more comments for accuracy in reloading cast bullets. The base of a cast bullet is critical for the accuracy. The base can not have a hole where the sprue was cut and the corner (flat base or beveled) of the bullet must be consistent. When the bullet exits the barrel, the escaping gas on an uneven base will upset the bullet's flight. This is the same as a bad barrel crown,which is something else you might want to look at.
Also the diameter of the necking die is critical. I have had to modify the necking die on my Star and Dillon presses. The stock necking dies were too small and caused bullet distortion when cast bullets were seated. Dillon's necking die for the .45 ACP is .447" or .005" smaller than my bullets. I was distorting my bullets .001 to .002 with this necking die. Pull one of your seated bullets to see if this is a problem.

TXGunNut
07-11-2014, 11:39 PM
This old 45 was built as an IPSC/duty gun in the early 80's. Original Colt Series 70 barrel worked quite well but wasn't quite up to BE competition....then again, neither was I. ;-) It's had a few upgrades since then but it still has the original barrel and should still be plenty accurate for the speed handgun games.

HeavyMetal
07-12-2014, 12:09 AM
wasn't schuemann the one that had all the holes in the barrel to help control recoil by venting gas as the boolit traveled down the barrel?

Never warmed up to that idea, LOL!

as for cast boolits Bar-Sto and Kart are both good brands as are several others. Bar-Sto that I have in my #1 1911 was installed, as I watched, by Irv senior in his original Burbank facility for a total of $69.00!

Today, with 4.5 grain WW452AA and Lee's copy of the H&G 68 it will put 5 rounds in a hole I can cover with a quarter at 20 yards.

Having said all that deducing accuracy problems over the net seems frustrating in an odd sense of the word, LOL!

I will second load re work, Brass should all be same HS, trimmed to length, primer pockets reamed, flash hole deburred, case mouth deburred.

Boolits need to be cast and then QC'd to the moon! visually all should be perfect or go back in the pot, then they need to be weighed and kept with in Two grains plus or Minus of the as cast boolit weight. Your not looking to keep them all the same your really looking for the odd ball that 7 or 8 grains to heavy or to lite!

Then you need to NOSE size them! many sizers are out of alignment and can damage boolits slightly, which effects accuracy! If your not using a Star and your shooting matchs your wasting your time.

Check your sizer during your re work of your loading technique look at the boolits under a real strong magnifiying glass "REAL STRONG" cannot be said strongly enough!

Good Cheer
07-13-2014, 11:40 AM
Factory Taurus stainless barrel, recycled mystery metal, DAX lube, shoots great, no leading to speak of.
http://i791.photobucket.com/albums/yy192/SNARGLEFLERK/mysterymetal_zpsb27efe0f.jpg (http://s791.photobucket.com/user/SNARGLEFLERK/media/mysterymetal_zpsb27efe0f.jpg.html)

CBH
07-13-2014, 11:50 AM
Kart and Bar-Sto for everything. Find someone who can fit the barrel.

GoodOlBoy
07-13-2014, 05:03 PM
Hate to point this out but my milspec Thompson/Auto-Ord barrel will shoot 1.5" groups at 25 yards if I shoot it, and .75" groups is dad shoots it. Darned military trained shooters.

GoodOlBoy

RG1911
07-13-2014, 05:25 PM
Also the diameter of the necking die is critical. I have had to modify the necking die on my Star and Dillon presses. The stock necking dies were too small and caused bullet distortion when cast bullets were seated. Dillon's necking die for the .45 ACP is .447" or .005" smaller than my bullets. I was distorting my bullets .001 to .002 with this necking die. Pull one of your seated bullets to see if this is a problem.

I'll do that. Since I use a Dillon 650, how did you modify the necking/powder drop tube?

Thank you,
Richard

wv109323
07-14-2014, 04:29 PM
I had to have them custom made to my spec. The Star was by Star and the Dillon was local.

RG1911
07-14-2014, 05:38 PM
And you want to replace the barrel for IPSC shooting? This is a jest, right?

Larry Gibson

Ummmm ... No. Why should I give up points because of an inaccurate barrel?

RG1911
07-14-2014, 05:40 PM
I had to have them custom made to my spec. The Star was by Star and the Dillon was local.
So you had a new drop tube/expander made by a local gunsmith or machine shop? May I ask what the new diameter is?

Thank you,
Richard