PDA

View Full Version : Browning Model 71 Problem

keydet15
07-06-2014, 09:21 PM
I have a browning model 71 in 348 winchester thats been giving light primer hits, I switched out the hammer spring but that didnt help any. I've believe that it is the inertia firing pin is the problem. I would like to know if any one has suggestions to fix this problem.

Thanks

pietro
07-06-2014, 10:09 PM

Welcome to the forum ! ! :happy dance:

There's usually three things that can cause your .348's light strikes: there might very well be crud built up in the bolt's FP channel that's retarding FP fall; the mainspring might have lost some power; and/or the rifle might be starting to acquire excessive headspace. ( The .348 headspaces on it's rim)

The first thing I would do (economically) would be to remove the FP from the bolt & flush/brush out the FP hole, then inspect it and the FP for any very small burrs or metallic shards.

If that didn't cure the light strikes, I would add then a thick washer to the rear end of the mainspring, which would (in effect) strengthen the MS by pre-loading it.

The next (more expensive) step would be to have the headspace checked & maybe corrected - which excessive headspace might be corrected by reworking the forward end of both locking lug recess' in the sides of the bolt. (or replacing the locking lugs)

keydet15
07-07-2014, 09:01 PM
I havent tried the washer method have to do that this weekend, already cleaned out the channel and checked for burrs.

thanks

hamour
08-07-2014, 06:57 PM
If you are worried about the head space, partially resize your case. Back off the resizing die until the case just barely chambers. Load up a few rounds at this setting and see if the light hammer strikes goes away. This has always worked for me on loose 30-30's. You are now head spacing from the bolt face to the shoulder.

If you want to hunt with the partially sized cases just tighten up the sizing die a small amount until the loaded round seats easily but still has a small amount of resistance to closing.

keydet15
08-07-2014, 09:32 PM
actually pietro's idea pre loading the main spring with a washer solved the problem