PDA

View Full Version : New Lee Mold 324-175 out of the box

ReloaderEd
07-06-2014, 08:01 PM
I have always been a user and advocate of Lee molds. If used right and not abused they generally very good.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/125279353@N04/14589674264/

Than is one is the exception. It cost less than shipping will cost to replace it. Im going to tell everone that I can!!!

There is no excuse for shoddy work especially in this country.[smilie=2:

dikman
07-06-2014, 08:31 PM
I'm doing the same thing, Ed. I have an out-of-round, undersize mold. They will replace it - if I send it back. I don't see why I should have to pay postage (from overseas) to replace a faulty product that they have manufactured and sold.

Bottom line is they don't care about me, after all I'm only one customer amongst many.

VHoward
07-06-2014, 09:14 PM
Looks like they gave you two half's from different machining batches. I can understand them wanting the defective mold back though.

500MAG
07-06-2014, 09:17 PM
I have always been a user and advocate of Lee molds. If used right and not abused they generally very good.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/125279353@N04/14589674264/

Than is one is the exception. It cost less than shipping will cost to replace it. Im going to tell everone that I can!!!

There is no excuse for shoddy work especially in this country.[smilie=2:
I would call them at Lee and let them know your situation. You may get them to pony up the shipping.

Elkins45
07-06-2014, 10:14 PM
Shirley must be slipping.

I had the old style one but I simply cannot find it anywhere. It is somewhere in the garage and I have searched for hours to no avail. I bought the same mold recently to replace it only to discover that the gas check shank is too big. Rather than send it back I just added another one to a different order, figuring that surely a bad batch didn't go to every supplier...and I was wrong. I now have two of them with too big shanks. I'm going to mod one to be plain based, but the other one will eventually go back to Lee.

I would happily absorb a $5 price increase if it meant they would bump up their QC and inspection a bit.

Moonie
07-06-2014, 10:16 PM
Looks like the pins aren't aligned properly, one picture shows the halves misaligned one way, another shows them misaligned the other way... Have you checked to make sure the alignment pins are fitting properly?

ReloaderEd
07-07-2014, 02:00 AM
The alignment pins ARE NOT installed properly. I can fix them but should i have to? But thats about all the satisfaction im going to get.

dikman
07-07-2014, 07:46 AM
500MAG, they told me everyone is treated the same, i.e. you pay to ship it back to them. Another member here had the same problem as me, same size mold, so mine isn't an isolated case. I would guess that there are many more like mine out there, but unless you put a micrometer on it you would never know that you've bought a dud!

Another mold has a loose alignment pin (new style, keeps falling out), their reply was to stake it with a punch. I can just see someone who doesn't know what they're doing ruining a mold using that advice!!

It would seem that both their Quality Control and Customer Service is going downhill, judging by the service people used to get reading past posts.

Beesdad
07-07-2014, 10:55 AM
I understand your concern, but IMO your first course of action should be to contact Lee and make the appropriate warrantee request. In the past year I have had a few issues with Lee and in every case they were taken care of it at no expense to me.... I paid no return shipping and replacements were shipped to me free of charge..

I experience defective product as a consumer more frequently than I am comfortable with but my experience with Lee has been outstanding when it comes to replacing defective equipment or parts....Lee's customer service has been excellent based on my experience.... I can not say that for other merchants or suppliers I deal with...

dikman
07-07-2014, 08:50 PM
Interesting. When I informed them about my problem, I pointed out that other customers have simply had a replacement sent out with no return required, so I asked if my being overseas affects the way I am treated. I was told no, ALL customers are treated the same, on return of the faulty item a new one will be shipped out.
If you've been treated differently, Beesdad, and recently, I wouldn't mind more information so that I can quote an actual example to them concerning my being treated differently.

tomme boy
07-07-2014, 10:28 PM
Call where you bought from. They will take it back and you will not have to pay the shipping. Lee does not want to deal with everyday people. Thats why you have to send it back. They want you to say F-it and just keep it. They already have your money.

VHoward
07-07-2014, 11:19 PM
I actually think it has more to do with who you talk to at Lee. Three seperate occasions I have called for a warranty issue or something wasn't in the box that should have been. One time, the replacement was sent to me with no return of the defective part required. I thought that was weird. Another time, I had to return the defective item to get the replacement. I had bought a Lee Pro 1000 and the turret that the dies screw into was missing. Lee tried to tell me that the turret was not included. When I informed her that the guy at Factory Sales said it was, she suddenly wanted my address so she could send me the turret.

Three different people spoken to, three different experiences.

I got started in reloading and bullet casting with Lee because it was cost effective at the time. Since then I have been replacing my equipment with better quality equipment from other companies that have much better customer support. I still have a Lee Classic Cast single stage that I will keep as it actually is the one piece of Lee equipment besides the dies of Lee brand that I would recommend. The rest of it, it is a hit or miss proposition on whether you are going to get something that works.

dikman
07-08-2014, 07:56 AM
Tomme boy, the problem is that I'm overseas. I bought it from Track of the Wolf, and while I'm sure they would replace it I'm also equally sure that they wouldn't pay return postage from overseas. I have no qualms about sending it back to prove it's faulty, but I refuse, on principle, to pay the postage from here!

Contrary to what I was told by Lee, I'm now pretty sure that their overseas customers are treated differently. After all, what can I do about it? Absolutely nothing. I can send lots of emails, but they can simply choose to ignore them. Funnily enough, many on here are quite outspoken about buying Chinese gear, but I can honestly say that I've been treated better by them when I've had problems (which is not very often, I might add) than I have by Lee.

tomme boy
07-08-2014, 09:49 AM
Dikman, have you tried to contact TOTW? They are really good people. Give them a email.

Beesdad
07-08-2014, 10:52 AM
Interesting. When I informed them about my problem, I pointed out that other customers have simply had a replacement sent out with no return required, so I asked if my being overseas affects the way I am treated. I was told no, ALL customers are treated the same, on return of the faulty item a new one will be shipped out.
If you've been treated differently, Beesdad, and recently, I wouldn't mind more information so that I can quote an actual example to them concerning my being treated differently.

dikman, I can only speak to my experiences ... And it has been stellar and that keeps me coming back. I have experienced a few problems and in each case I went to Lee's web site filled out the warrantee information, described the problem, took a photo and submitted the claim. In each case I received an email reply within 24 hours and they made a replacment free of charge and never made any request to have the part returned. I have made claims on one mold which I damaged by mishandling ( and I told them it was my fault), FCD die, multiable universal decap pins and small and large primer feed systems... All replaced at no charge.. Now before observations are made about the poor quality I have 5 LM and 2 single presses and push them hard with about 4000 rounds per month.

They have never ever ask "how much equipment do you own" and my experience has been that they deal with everyday people just fine but I am starting to feel special... I wish my experience with other reloading equipment suppliers had been this easy...

Now a question for dikman and ReloaderEd... Did you utilize there web site to file a claim?

I am now left with the question as to why have others had so many problems with waranty replacements.

jmort
07-08-2014, 11:36 AM
I just call them and problem is solved. Lee Precision customer service is great. I expect if I had purchased something made in Australia I would have the same shipping challenge. I would never waste my time with Chinese customer service, but you are close to China. There will be more QC issues with an incredibly inexpensive mold. Using a punch to set the pin is a common fix. To me the upside of the incredible value of the Lee molds works for me and any issues I have had took a single phone call to a very nice person who answered right away. Sorry for your frustration.

ReloaderEd
07-08-2014, 01:13 PM
Added a coulple of pictures to the file above. The alingment inserts were staked at the factory. I did also send the pictures to Miway for Larry to look at.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/125279353@N04/14606778625/ FIXED IT!!!

Be safe

Beesdad
07-08-2014, 03:24 PM
Added a coulple of pictures to the file above. The alingment inserts were staked at the factory. I did also send the pictures to Miway for Larry to look at.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/125279353@N04/14606778625/ FIXED IT!!!

Be safe

ReloaderEd, Glad the problem had been "Fixed"... Would you be willing to share with the group what was done and how it was accomplished in such short order ...

ReloaderEd
07-08-2014, 08:02 PM
Absolutely: found a punch that fit the Lee insert holes. Tapped [B][U]both male inserts with punch and hammer until the mold halves were aligned and wouldn't shift forward i
or back etc. Ill let you know how the mold performs. Be safe.

John Boy
07-08-2014, 09:19 PM
FIXED IT!!!Ed, now fix the tension screw for the sprue plate and smooth the bottom/edges of the plate. From the looks at the current gouges - your going to have more issues

dikman
07-09-2014, 12:49 AM
Yeah, I noticed that too. I've had to smooth the sprue plate on every one of my Lee molds. That, however, doesn't bother me as it's a relatively minor issue and is easily fixed. Maybe I should just take a photo of the ball with a micrometer attached......

Beesdad, my contact was simply by emailing them and explaining the problem. I wasn't aware that they had an online warranty claim. Could be worth a try, I suppose, although I can't figure out how to take a photo showing an out-of-round, undersize mold (it's just going to look like any other mold!).

Jmortimer, it may very well be a common fix to stake the pins, but my point was that giving that advice out willy-nilly is risky in my opinion. Someone who doesn't really understand what they're doing could easily ruin a mold if simply told to use a hammer and punch to fix the problem.

jmort
07-09-2014, 12:56 AM
I agree. I would probably screw-up my mold.

ReloaderEd
07-09-2014, 01:08 AM
Perhaps in a few weeks. Thanks be safe

Buckshot
07-09-2014, 01:22 AM
.............Several years ago I had a 2 cav C309-200-R mould that had one of the alignment pins floating around in the box. It had been inspected by Charles. I called Lee customer service and explained the issue. The mould was new in the box unused. I said that I would pay for shipping the mould back to them, and if upon receipt they agreed with me that the mould was defective from the factory then I felt it would be only fair for them to reimburse my shipping expense, and replace the mould. After all I had also paid shipping on it from Midway too (it had been part of a larger order). I suggested that maybe Charles would pay the shipping?

I shipped the mould back to them. I got a new mould and a check for my shipping. All good.

...........Buckshot

Beesdad
07-09-2014, 09:36 AM
Yeah, I noticed that too. I've had to smooth the sprue plate on every one of my Lee molds. That, however, doesn't bother me as it's a relatively minor issue and is easily fixed. Maybe I should just take a photo of the ball with a micrometer attached......

Beesdad, my contact was simply by emailing them and explaining the problem. I wasn't aware that they had an online warranty claim. Could be worth a try, I suppose, although I can't figure out how to take a photo showing an out-of-round, undersize mold (it's just going to look like any other mold!).

Jmortimer, it may very well be a common fix to stake the pins, but my point was that giving that advice out willy-nilly is risky in my opinion. Someone who doesn't really understand what they're doing could easily ruin a mold if simply told to use a hammer and punch to fix the problem.

Dikman, Warrantee claims are fairly straight forward... From the Lee home page click on the FAQ tap and then click on the warrantee tab... Follow the directions.. I think your thoughts of photographing a sample with the micrometer reading attached may be of productive. Many times my photos did not demonstrate the defect but there is a text field that allows you to describe the problem.. Again following this procedure has always worked well for me.. Always got a reply within 24 hours.

Good luck in your efforts.

dikman
07-11-2014, 12:23 AM
Thanks Beesdad, I found the page (don't know why they wouldn't list it under Customer Support, which is where I went to contact them - fairly logically, I thought). I've taken a couple of photos of the ball in the micrometer, showing the (under)size. Unfortunately, my phone line, and thus my 'net access, has been down for the last 4 days (!!) so no point sending it until I can access it again (I'm sending this from the local library).

dikman
07-16-2014, 05:48 AM
Ok, I've followed your suggestion, Beesdad, and submitted a claim, with photos, via the "Warranty" section. I told them I'm happy to return the mold as long as they pay the postage. Should be interesting to see what sort of response I get.

dikman
07-17-2014, 06:02 AM
Yes, an interesting response. They said I should contact the people I bought it from first. I also specifically said that I'm happy to return it as long as they pay the shipping cost - no response at all to this part of my "complaint".

dikman
07-17-2014, 09:08 PM
Unbelievable! I contacted Track of the Wolf, but all they did was forward my email to Lee!! Lee replied that to get a "no-charge" repair/replacement I first have to send it to them and they will send out a replacement at no cost - BUT they still haven't answered my question about paying for the return postage!! They remind me of politicians when it comes to trying to get a straight answer :killingpc.

dikman
07-21-2014, 06:47 PM
Looks like I've reached the end of the line with Lee. I asked straight out if they would pay for the return postage (about US$15). They said it's the responsibility of the user to pay that. I replied and pointed out that they have, in fact, paid the postage for at least one customer who asked, and have also sent out replacement parts without asking for the faulty ones back.

Lee Customer Service? [smilie=b: