07-06-2014, 05:25 PM
Interesting articles on reloading brass

http://headstampfinebrass.blogspot.com

DLCTEX
07-06-2014, 06:52 PM
Interesting read, thanks.

Ed Barrett
07-06-2014, 06:58 PM
Nice article, but auto loaders are much harder on brass than revolvers and bolt actions. I would like to see the same tests carried out on a 9mm revolver.

35remington
07-06-2014, 07:25 PM
If autoloading pistols are "much harder" on brass, that's news to me. I reload autoloader brass until I lose it. Which is a whole lot. 45 ACP autoloader brass is enormously long lived and the fact that it is shot in an autoloader or not has nothing to do with it. Working pressure is the biggest factor in how long brass will last, and if it's mild it doesn't hurt it when being fired in an autoloader.

Incidentally, I shoot a few calibers in both autoloaders and revolvers and have noticed no brass life advantage when shot in the revolvers. Same loads, same dies.

The brass tests ended when the case had a mouth split. This also occurs in revolvers, and has more to do with the pressure of the cartridge, the size of the chamber and the amount the case is worked in sizing and belling than with autoloader or revolvers.

MaryB
07-06-2014, 09:49 PM
Some of my Aguila 9mm brass is on its 10th reloading. Using both cast and FMJ depending on what I have available. Worst part is finding it again after my Hi Point flings it halfway across the pistol range...

Bonz
07-08-2014, 01:28 PM
+1 on losing brass at the ranges… I normally lose about a quarter of mine but always end up with a few of someone else's ;-)

dilly
07-08-2014, 01:34 PM
I could see a certain argument that auto loading rifles can be tough on brass with ejector dings and what not, but I'm not so sure it matters for pistols. In fact, sometimes auto loading pistols operate at lower pressures.

However, I've never seen an auto loader that doesn't send a portion of its brass into alternate dimensions. Reminds me I need to get a brass catcher for that M1A...