PDA

View Full Version : My new long range rifle has arrived

Gunlaker
07-05-2014, 01:44 PM
It's a CSA 1885 in .45-90 chambered with Dan Theodore's reamer set up for bore diameter bullets. It has a 32" 1:16 twist Green Mountain barrel in Winchester #5 profile so it's got a bit of weight to it.

I haven't shot a rifle with a GM barrel, but I've heard a few say they can be quite good ( I own another with a GM barerl but it is unchambered still ). The bore feels quite smooth when running a tight patch down it.

It's set up for Starline brass that has been shortened a little less than 2.4" to ensure that the brass can reach the end of the chamber. The bore looks like it will fit a .446" bullet wrapped in 8 lb Seth Cole perfectly.

I won't be able to shoot it for a bit as I need to order sights. I'll probably go with an MVA on the rear and a Distant Thunder on the front.

Chris.

LynC2
07-05-2014, 03:09 PM
That sounds like a rifle that will give you many hours of fun! Let us know how it shoots and what it likes. :smile:

Don McDowell
07-05-2014, 03:32 PM
Sounds like a good one Chris.

Gunlaker
07-05-2014, 10:42 PM
I hope so. I expect it'll shoot pretty well. It seems that bore diameter PP rifles are pretty easy to get up and running once you've got the basic ideas figured out. I've got a .45-70 that works well with the shorter version of this reamer. I'm hoping that I can find good loads with both Fg and FFg in this one.

Chris.

John Allen
07-05-2014, 10:46 PM
It sounds great. I have a Shiloh with a long throat I have been thinking of trying paper patch with.

MBTcustom
07-06-2014, 08:29 AM
The GM barrels are good quality, but you have to shoot them in. If you are running paper patch, it will go much quicker. It's fun to watch your groups shrink as you shoot, and the end result on every single one I have used has been about 3/4 MOA after a couple hundred rounds. Awesome.
Enjoy your rifle, I would love to spend some time with one of those someday!

Gunlaker
07-06-2014, 10:34 AM
It sounds great. I have a Shiloh with a long throat I have been thinking of trying paper patch with.

You might want to consider groove diameter patched bullets with that rifle then. I haven't messed with them, but bore diameter bullets won't like a big freebore too much.

There are a few guys here who shoot groove diameter PP bullets. They can probably get you started in the right direction.

Chris.

Chill Wills
07-06-2014, 12:18 PM
Chris, I am wondering about your reamer; Did you have it made from Dan's print? Who chambered the rifle?
-Michael

Gunlaker
07-06-2014, 04:29 PM
Michael, I ordered the reamer from Manson ( they did the .45-70 version for me a few years ago ). He has the print on file. I believe that Steve Rhoades has this reamer too. This one was chambered by C. Sharps. The chamber is just a little bit tight above the case web so I might resize them without the shell holder to bring the diameter down a touch. If it works out like my .45-70 then it'll be the last time the cases see a die.

Chris.

semtav
07-08-2014, 10:45 AM
You might want to consider groove diameter patched bullets with that rifle then. I haven't messed with them, but bore diameter bullets won't like a big freebore too much.

There are a few guys here who shoot groove diameter PP bullets. They can probably get you started in the right direction.

Chris.

John
If you do get to that point and want to try some Groove dia PP bullets, give me a buzz. I've been working with a groove dia pp bullet in my Browning 45-90 that has a freebore. finally starting to see some consistency in my groups.

montana_charlie
07-08-2014, 02:27 PM

Chris.
John
If you do get to that point and want to try some Groove dia PP bullets, give me a buzz. I've been working with a groove dia pp bullet in my Browning 45-90 that has a freebore. finally starting to see some consistency in my groups.
And, I have a good quality mould you might find useful.

CM

Lead pot
07-08-2014, 07:09 PM
Chris.

Is that the reamer Dan drew up that has a 25 degree chamber end that leads to a .458 cylinder free bore that is .374" long ahead of a 3 degree lead in the throat?
If so post your results when you get a chance to shoot it.

Gunlaker
07-08-2014, 07:55 PM
Not quite, but I'll post a copy of the print tonight. I can't imagine that Dan would mind as he's published it in the Black Powder Cartridge News a few years ago. That and you can get it from Manson.

It's a .474" case mouth, zero freebore, with a 25 degree cone starting at the case mouth down to bore diameter. It's set up for slightly shorter brass so you can trim it and guarantee your brass will reach the end of the chamber. The only difference between the .45-70 version and the longer versions ( .45-90 and .45-100 ) is the length.

The same reamer was used for my CSA 1874 .45-70 and it shoots pretty well. I'm pretty confident that the .45-70 rifle would make a competitive mid-range setup. My wind reading skills would definitely be the limiting factor.

I decided to go with a .45-90 version as I think it'll be a bit more versatile, as I think it'll probably work well with Fg as well as FFg. My .45-70 seems to really prefer FFg.

Chris.

Gunlaker
07-08-2014, 10:51 PM
Kurt, here is the reamer print.

www.bcsingleshot.com/Reamers/45-90%20PP%20Theodore0001.jpg

Chris.

montana_charlie
07-08-2014, 11:10 PM
It's a .474" case mouth, zero freebore, with a 25 degree cone starting at the case mouth down to bore diameter. It's set up for slightly shorter brass so you can trim it and guarantee your brass will reach the end of the chamber.
That case length doesn't look short to me.
The 'base-to-casemouth' dimension is 2.334"
Add the rim thickness of .066" and you have a 2.4" case.

CM

Lead pot
07-09-2014, 10:41 AM
Very good Chris. That is not the reamer him and I got into a discussion over once what he called a match reamer.
:) I still have a file on that reamer and discussion exchange also the cone type throat from the case neck to the lands :)

Gunlaker
07-09-2014, 12:23 PM
We'll see how it works pretty soon hopefully. I imagine it'll work pretty well as the .45-70 does.

CM, I don't know how I missed that. I must have confused it with the .45-70 version of the reamer which is spec'd for shorter than normal brass. In that one I use 2.092" as my trim length.

Chris.

montana_charlie
07-10-2014, 12:30 PM
CM, I don't know how I missed that. I must have confused it with the .45-70 version of the reamer which is spec'd for shorter than normal brass. In that one I use 2.092" as my trim length.
Then the base-to-casemouth dimension on your 45/70 reamer must be (like) 2.026" ... right?

CM

Gunlaker
07-10-2014, 06:41 PM
2.024"

johnson1942
07-10-2014, 08:46 PM
should shoot a 600 grain bullet very very well.