PDA

View Full Version : Suggested Loads for NOE 9MM 358-135FN

kenn
07-05-2014, 01:08 PM
I have been sidetracked and haven't made up some loads yet, but I'm going to sit down today and make some 9MM with my new NOE 135FN boolit (Thanks, Tazman for getting me hooked on this mold). Boolits drop right at 135-136 very consistently with pure COWW. Boolit length is .566 on average. I'm loading to an OAL length of about 1.055 or so to get a good, clean plunk.

I'm using bullseye powder exclusively as I have 3lbs of it and it measure really, really well in my Lyman #55. I'd use another powder if there was anything out there available but it would probably be easier to win the lottery than find pistol powder in stock. There is very little in terms of load data out there for this heavy of a boolit. Here's what I can find from factory or printed data that is "close" and I think I'll have to lean on the heaver 147 as a starting point:

Ohaus Cast (Sized .3565 inch)
Alliant
Bullseye

Remarks: OAL (inches): 1.13; case expansion: normal

Ohaus Cast (Sized .3565 inch)

Alliant
Bullseye

LBT .359 140 FN

Alliant
Bullseye

Remarks: overall loaded length (inches): 1.04

H&G 12B

Alliant
Bullseye

Remarks: overall loaded length (inches): 1.05; poor accuracy

Cast #356637

Alliant
Bullseye

Remarks: sugg. start load; 24,900 cup; 1.058" OAL

Cast #356637

Alliant
Bullseye

Remarks: max load; 31,600 cup; 1.058" OAL

Lyman 358212
Alliant
Bullseye

Remarks: overall loaded length (inches): 1.14

Redding/SAECO 910
Alliant
Bullseye

Remarks: overall loaded length (inches): 1.16; accurate

RCBS 9mm-147-FN
Alliant
Bullseye

Starting loads from various books (lyman 49 above) have a starting around 3.0 for a slightly heavier boolit so I feel very safe there given some "private" loads I've read are using 4+. I'm thinking of doing 3.0 and 3.2 for starters or perhaps 3.1 and 3.3 for starters. I've got both TL and PC versions of the same boolit and I'll start with the TL and then move on to PC with same powder recipe I find works.

Basically I'm looking for some input or experience here. If you have quickload and wouldn't mind putting this in, I'd appreciate it.

tazman
07-05-2014, 05:25 PM
Since I have some experience with that boolit but not with that particular powder, I will give you what seems logical to me.
I would not be the least concerned about a 3.5 grain bullseye load with that boolit and would probably start there. I would expect to end up near 4.0 grains for a max load.
Even the 4.0 might not be quite at max pressure because of the design of the boolit but it should be close.
The most recent Lyman manual lists 3.5 to start and 3.9 as max for a 140 grain boolit so those loads should be safe with the 135 boolit since it has less boolit inside the case.
I would stop working upwards when I found a charge that gave me good accuracy even if it was below the listed maximum.

smokesahoy
07-05-2014, 07:26 PM
This is an awesome bullet. I posted a pet loads recipe a few posts down but it's a different powder. I'm just popping in to say awesome bullet man, you're gonna love it!

kenn
08-02-2014, 09:21 AM
Finally got out and shot this boolit. I loaded up about 20 of them with 3.4gr of bullseye powder and took them to the range with all of my other experiments. At 3.4 they cycled fine with no issues. In terms of load this is probably a little closer to max than min. I'm going to try a few 3.2 and 3.3 just to see what it does with accuracy. I didn't seem to have great accuracy with the 3.4gr, but then I didn't have enough rounds to really put it through the paces. These were TL 45/45/10. I'm going to PC a bunch and try them as well. I didn't appear to get any leading as a few passes with my boresnake left the barrel completely clean.

kenn
09-20-2014, 11:29 AM
Tazman,

Hoping you would post up the OAL you are setting this bullet at so I can compare. I'm still not happy with the accuracy I'm getting and I'm going to try a slightly larger bullet diameter as well as up the powder a bit. The slightly larger (.358 instead of .3575) is 50/50 and will be PC'd. I have to set it a little deeper to feed properly and want to make sure I don't go too deep. It appears I'm going to have to be about 1.088 instead of about 1.1 previously if I go up to .358 diameter.

tazman
09-20-2014, 03:53 PM
I size mine to .358 if I bother to size them at all. I have a generous chamber in my 9mm with a long taper on the throat.
I load to an OAL of 1.07-1.075. Never tried longer as this length works well for me both feeding and accuracy. Shorter would be pointless for me as the shoulder of the boolit would be inside the case.
At this length, there is slightly less than .240 of the boolit inside the case leaving plenty of room for powder.

Balta
09-20-2014, 04:38 PM
Never like that boolit...COL must be way under any specs to chamber...it needs to be under specs just to seat a lube grove in case...Mold is great an cast nice bullets.And when you use powder that nobody else use it is realy hard to get starting loads not risking to blow up gun...

tazman
09-20-2014, 06:08 PM
Never like that boolit...COL must be way under any specs to chamber...it needs to be under specs just to seat a lube grove in case...Mold is great an cast nice bullets.And when you use powder that nobody else use it is realy hard to get starting loads not risking to blow up gun...

COL specs change depending on the design of the bullet and the particular firearm involved. Nothing is really engraved in stone there. Look at the bullet design and you can tell how deep into the case it needs to be seated.
As far as powder, I have no idea what powders are available in Europe. Currently people here are having trouble getting standard pistol powders and are making do with what we can make work.
The original poster is using Bullseye from Alliant which is a commonly used pistol powder in this country.
As far as getting a starting load, I suggest you use the powder and starting load data for a 147 grain bullet and work up from there. That should be quite safe and is what I did.