PDA

View Full Version : Rectify small base problem on pump/semi auto

nekshot
07-05-2014, 11:05 AM
I am encountering tite base specs in a pump amd auto loader . The cartridge is 35 remington, so in my finite way of thinking if I get a standard reamer and lightly do this my problems go away! Am I missing something in this endeavor?

2manyguns
07-05-2014, 11:08 AM
have you looked for small base dies? ithink that would be cheaper than a reamer

wallenba
07-05-2014, 11:22 AM
I took a peek at Midway for you, no small base dies listed that I could find. Might try Redding for a body sizing die. Typically they resize the case without touching the neck. Don't recommend neck sizing for that either, so, another step after.

john hayslip
07-05-2014, 11:34 AM
If you can find another die try it. That may be the problem. I'll send you mine if you want to try it.
If so send me a pm.

deltaenterprizes
07-05-2014, 04:20 PM
Always try the replacing the cheapest part first, in this case the sizing die is cheaper, even a custom one, than replacing a perfectly good barrel because the reamer ruined the chamber.

danski26
07-05-2014, 04:49 PM
I have found that a die that does not push the shoulder back is MUCH more common than a need for a small base die. Measure a factory cartridge to the datum line on the shoulder and then measure your FL sized once fired case to the datum line. They should be close if not the same. Just my experience. If that is the problem you can take some off the bottom of the die or use a thinner shellholder.

StratsMan
07-05-2014, 05:20 PM
As much as I may not like it, or think I should need to, I've had to lower the sizing die to the point that it pushes down the shellplate... The RCBS instruction with my new press even tell me to plan to go over-center a little bit in order to get the set-back on the shoulder... Anyway, every time I've had the problem you describe it was cured by lowering the die a little more.

You didn't tell us the make/model of press and die you're using...

GBertolet
07-05-2014, 06:18 PM
If you need to, you can grind a few thousandths off the bottom of the sizer die, lowering it a little more, to set the case shoulder back additionally, if necessiary. I had to do this more than once already to get stubborn rounds to chamber. It is more likely a die issue, rather than a chamber one.

nekshot
07-05-2014, 08:24 PM
dies are pacific, press rcbs. You all jogged my memory to a time I placed a paper shim on top of shell plate. I'll play with it a little more, thanks for your input.

Skipper
07-05-2014, 09:07 PM
nekshot, the factory doesn't use different reamers for autos and bolts, so forget about using a standard reamer. The small base die is to make sure it feeds correctly in an auto rifle that just does not have the camming power of a bolt. Stick with the small base die.