PDA

View Full Version : Belgium made SAA clone with DA trigger

shawnba67
07-05-2014, 10:36 AM
I seem to have accidentally purchased one of these on gunbroker in 32-20. What do I need to know about it? I have a 4th model smith 1905 in 32-20. Do you think the Belgium hobby would be safe with the same loadings? I don't hot rod the smith but I know some of the pistols in 32-20 weren't as strong as others. Can't figure out how to post a pic. No visible serial number but I haven't pulled the grip panels yet to look there It does say Texas ranger on it. LOL didn't know they had jurisdiction in Europe. Thanks for any help fellas

wallenba
07-05-2014, 10:48 AM
Think it was named the 'Texas Ranger'. Don't know much else. Try internet searches. Perhaps Numrich has a schematic.

Quick search turned up this as manufacturer> Fabriques d'Armes Unies de Liège (FAUL) of Belgium

rintinglen
07-06-2014, 03:57 AM
The "Off-brand" Belgian gun makers made some pretty suspect stuff, very much cottage industry hand-crafting. I would only shoot black-powder equivalent loads out of that gun, were I too shoot it at all. Ck for proof marks before firing, just to be on the safe side.

shawnba67
07-06-2014, 09:52 AM
Where would a proof mark live? And could a decent Smith tell if it was a super junk cast job by pretty easily? Thanks for the help. The article I found on the faul was pretty interesting.

texassako
07-06-2014, 04:48 PM
I have several Belgian revolvers, but no SAA look alike. All of mine have proofs on the cylinder face. A lot of extras here pertaining to shotguns only, but it should tell you what it is proofed for and maybe when it was made: http://damascus-barrels.com/Belgian_All_Proofmarks.html . The main one you want to find has the letters ELG for black powder or PV for smokeless.

shawnba67
07-06-2014, 06:52 PM
Thanks. That's a handy little reference.