PDA

View Full Version : NOE 00 buck 12 cavity mold problem

Terryrm1-03
07-05-2014, 09:25 AM
Anyone have ideas what i'm doing wrong casting 00 buck from a new NOE mold.
I'm using pure lead. The rows are 3 balls per row. They stay stuck together, and are very hard to break apart. Bought it last yr new. Just now getting to use it.
Any help would be appreciated!
Thanks Terry

RED333
07-05-2014, 10:15 AM
Do you mean hard to open the mold, or the balls not breaking apart?
I do not have this mold, but do cast buck with another mold, I use a flush cutter plyers
to cut mine apart.

Terryrm1-03
07-05-2014, 07:08 PM
The mold opens up just fine, and drops the balls out together. But there are (4) rows and the (3) balls are connected together. Figured they'd just kinda fall apart, but is that what I need to do is cut them apart with flush cutter plyers? I'm new to this, wasn't expecting to have to do this.
Thank for your help

blaser.306
07-05-2014, 07:15 PM
Can't say for sure as I don't have one of these, But if I was a betting person ( which I am not ) That mould likely wants to be run smokin hot and opened as soon as the sprue has just hardened, do not let it cool down at all between casts. I was witness to one of the buck shot moulds that was making it's rounds being cast. When run this way, the balls all separated themselves from the spru with a few exceptions. Ymmv but worth a try.

Terryrm1-03
07-05-2014, 09:19 PM
Thanks so much will give it a try! Smokin HOT it is!

Blammer
07-07-2014, 10:47 PM
You sure it's an NOE mould?

Terryrm1-03
07-11-2014, 05:24 PM
10-4 Its a NOE Mold.
I had it on backorder for along time. finally got it it on their last run.

Harter66
07-16-2014, 12:42 PM
I've another brand also . I use cat toe nail cutters of a scissor type they were like $3 at Wal-Mart. They are beveled on each out side and near perfectly suited.

Blammer
07-17-2014, 03:03 PM
10-4 Its a NOE Mold.
I had it on backorder for along time. finally got it it on their last run.

I sure would like to see a picture of that mould.

got a link to where you ordered it from?

when was their last run?

Terryrm1-03
07-31-2014, 05:35 PM
Here's the pics of the NOE 00 Buck Mold
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v14/TerryR/00BuckMold001_zpsd24a167b.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v14/TerryR/00BuckMold003_zps2f1cf555.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v14/TerryR/00BuckMold002_zps22873936.jpg
I sure would like to see a picture of that mould.

got a link to where you ordered it from?

when was their last run?

Blammer
07-31-2014, 05:57 PM
I have a mould exactly like that one.

JTknives makes it and his shop name is Heavy Metal Moulds or HM˛

yep the balls stick together quite well. I have to take a small snip to seperate them.

I think everyone who has that mould has to do the same thing. Not a big deal to me.

The square nubs are quite interesting!

So, no I don't think you are doing anything wrong.

You can load them up all connected and get 'chain shot' :)

after clipping them I put them in my vibratory tumbler with a bunch of steel BB's and they rounded them out nicely.

YunGun
07-31-2014, 05:58 PM
Umm that's not an NOE mould, is it? it says "HM2" right there on the mould....

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/forumdisplay.php?118-Heavy-Metal-Molds

longbow
07-31-2014, 07:52 PM
Using pure lead the balls will not likely break apart... even if you run hot. I use range scrap for my Lee buckshot mould and cast fairly hot. When I open the mould quickly after casting the shot is still a bit brittle due to the antimony and most of the balls break apart. Those that don't get rolled under a utility knife and that cuts them apart quite easily. Pure lead should cut even easier.

The joining sprue on the MH2 moulds looks a bit larger than the Lee but hard to tell. In any case the Lee balls do come apart pretty easy when rolled under the knife.

Longbow

Terryrm1-03
08-02-2014, 01:11 AM
I have a mould exactly like that one.

JTknives makes it and his shop name is Heavy Metal Moulds or HM˛

yep the balls stick together quite well. I have to take a small snip to seperate them.

I think everyone who has that mould has to do the same thing. Not a big deal to me.

The square nubs are quite interesting!

So, no I don't think you are doing anything wrong.

You can load them up all connected and get 'chain shot' :)

after clipping them I put them in my vibratory tumbler with a bunch of steel BB's and they rounded them out nicely.
Thanks for the help, and info!
yes, it is JTKnives. HM2
I'll just snip them, chainshot will be tried also!

Screwbolts
08-03-2014, 07:20 PM
I have the same mold as you have, run your pot temp up and get it frosting hot, Use bulplate on the sprue palte and top of mold as per Bullshops directions. then cut sprues as soon as they dont run, drop chains of balls on folded towl most break apart on contact. the rest roll with your sprue plate malot on towl to break apart wilst still smoken hot. once you get the timing right they will be nearly purfect. I have cast over 50 pounds of 00 with mine. run it hot and fast. did i mention run it hot and fast!!!

Ken