PDA

View Full Version : Anyone swaging .20 Cal ?

63 Shiloh
07-05-2014, 09:00 AM
Gents,

I have made myself a few swaging dies and am still learning techniques and skills.

I am keen to try a .20 cal die that will replicate the Sierra Game King 39gn projectile, it is very accurate in my rifle.

There is a trickle down effect on reloading supplies in Australia due to the 'panic buying' in the US. Brass, projectiles, powder and other consumables are drying up around the country.

I am thinking the jacket can be made from a .22LR case, the smallest die I have made so far is .366"/ 9.3mm using .223 and 9mm brass.

The prospect of making a .20 cal swage die will test my skill to new levels due to the size of everything being so much smaller.

I would appreciate hearing from anyone who has done this already and any tips, tricks or even pics of the dies and tooling used.

Thanks,

Mike

BT Sniper
07-07-2014, 01:15 AM
I have all the dies made and I expect to make some soon with trimmed 22 brass, just haven't had time yet for my personal projects or R&D. I expect very good results though.

Brian

reed1911
07-07-2014, 07:44 AM
I swage .20's (.17's, .14's, and .12's too among other larger ones) I've tried using .22LR shells but they are not consistent enough to be worth my time. That being the case, I 'grew up' on J4 jackets and it may simply be just my view of things. I would go ahead and give it a shot and if they work for you jump on it. As for the die making, I'm very limited on the dies I've made for bullets and cannot offer any help in that area.