View Full Version : Louis Zamperini has passed

richhodg66
07-05-2014, 08:57 AM
I just learned of this. The first time I heard of him was in a Billy Graham ministries documentary about him, but a lady named Laura Hildebrand wrote a book called Unbroken about him a few years ago that was a best seller. I haven't read it yet, but have been planning to.

He was a heck of a man, truly embodied all that is good about the American spirit.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/07/03/wwii-hero-olympian-zamperini-dies-at-7/

sparky45
07-05-2014, 10:03 AM
It is a captivating read that I highly recommend. An extraordinary man! R.I.P.

07-05-2014, 10:27 AM
He was a unique American, and the book is an excellent read.

Scout800a
07-05-2014, 01:44 PM
I listed to the CD's on the way to work . I listened to the last disk about three times. Great example of what you can do if you dont quit.

Giants fan
07-05-2014, 02:16 PM
Bless you MR Zamperini RIP.

DoubleAdobe
07-05-2014, 02:21 PM
Aw man, hate to hear that.I read the book a couple years ago. The grit and determination of that man was an inspiration. RIP, brother.

BrassMagnet
07-05-2014, 02:45 PM

I stopped at a used book store today and these were on the front shelf and caught my eye immediately
After I am finished reading them, who wants to be next?
When that person is finished, they should be re-listed in Helping Hands and passed on the same way as this BrassMagnet casting DVD thread:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?238674-BrassMagnet-s-Boolit-Casting-DVD-Library

alamogunr
07-05-2014, 03:07 PM
I recommend someone take BrassMagnet up on his offer. My son loaned(he wanted to pass it on to a friend) me the book a couple of years ago. I knew men like that existed but I never knew how much they endured or for how long.

waksupi
07-05-2014, 03:46 PM

I stopped at a used book store today and these were on the front shelf and caught my eye immediately
After I am finished reading them, who wants to be next?
When that person is finished, they should be re-listed in Helping Hands and passed on the same way as this BrassMagnet casting DVD thread:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?238674-BrassMagnet-s-Boolit-Casting-DVD-Library

No time to read them this time of year, but if they are still circulating in December or later in the winter, I would be interested.

DCP
07-05-2014, 04:42 PM
RIP
Not many left now.

I wonder do they want to be the last man standing?

MRBACKHAND
07-05-2014, 08:40 PM
Departed comrade! Thou, redeemed from pain
Shall sleep the sleep that kings desire in vain:
Not thine the sense of loss
But lo, for us the void
That never shall be filled again.
Not thine but ours the grief.
All pain is fled from thee.
And we are weeping in thy stead;
Tears for the mourners who are left behind
Peace everlasting for the quiet dead.

smoked turkey
07-06-2014, 09:32 AM
...."After I am finished reading them, who wants to be next?.."

I would like the opportunity to read them if available. Thanks.
Stan

BrassMagnet
07-06-2014, 09:39 AM
...."After I am finished reading them, who wants to be next?.."

I would like the opportunity to read them if available. Thanks.
Stan

Well, it looks like Smoked Turkey is next and Waksupi is sometime this coming winter. Maybe I should modify that selection order process to allow these to be sent to Waksupi for Christmas!

Duckiller
07-06-2014, 08:35 PM
Mr. Zamperini was to be the grand marshall of the 2015 Rose Parade. Per local paper Rose Parade officials have announced that there will not be a replacement Grand Marshall. In Person or in spirit he will be the Grand Marshall.

smoked turkey
07-06-2014, 10:45 PM
Thanks BrassMagnet. I will PM you my info. I will make them available when finished reading them just as you did. Waksupi might just get them in time for Christmas! Thanks.

Dryball
07-07-2014, 12:11 AM
He was a great man! Hard to believe he was from my hometown.

Cornbread
07-07-2014, 12:48 PM
No time to read them this time of year, but if they are still circulating in December or later in the winter, I would be interested.

Let me see if I have my copy of "Unbroken" around somewhere. I read it and it was outstanding! I don't re-read books so if I still have it around I'll send you up my copy.

bdicki
07-07-2014, 12:53 PM
I'll take them after Smoked.

TenTea
07-07-2014, 02:20 PM
Unbroken was an excellent read about an uncommon man with an uncommon story.

R.I.P. Mr. Z. & say hi to The Bird if you find him.

BrassMagnet
07-27-2014, 10:37 AM
Thanks BrassMagnet. I will PM you my info. I will make them available when finished reading them just as you did. Waksupi might just get them in time for Christmas! Thanks.

I read "Devil at my Heels" and it was awesome. Now I am getting bogged down in "Unbroken." Most likely because it covers too much of the same ground.
I will send both to Smoked Turkey and let him decide if the pair of books should be split up.