PDA

View Full Version : BP Pistol Cartridges - nickel casings? Any advantage? (38 spl)

bedbugbilly
07-04-2014, 07:12 PM
This may seem like a simple question . . . probably is . . .

I use both brass and nickel in reloading my smokeless 38 specials. Unlike some, I actually prefer nickel - they seem to stay "nicer" and since I don't tumble my brass the nickel rounds look "prettier". :-)

I'm getting ready to start my first batch of BP 38 Specials in the next couple of days and am getting ready to sort out 100 casings with matching head stamps and lengths to keep things "consistent" in terms of case fill.

For my BP rifles and pistols, I have always kept a container of water/ivory soap/windex mixed up as this works well for me in terms of clean up. I thought I'd mix up a jar of it and when I shoot, toss the spent casings in the solution and then when I get home, de-prime and wash them well inside and out and then let dry.

I'm just curious if anyone has used nickel casings for BP loads and if they have found them easier to clean and keep clean than the standard brass? I know the inside has to be cleaned and I'll probably use some sort of a stiff bottle brush or similar of the correct size to do that so the fouling gets cleaned up on the inside of the casing.

Any advantage to using nickel in terms of clean up or am I wasting my time and should I just stick to brass . . . and buy a tumbler to keep 'em pretty?

Thanks!

doc1876
07-06-2014, 08:41 AM
I also think that eh nickel seems to stay cleaner longer. I have been using them lately exclusively in my bp blank loads, and they just seem to clean easier. (Blanks are real messy)

zuke
07-06-2014, 09:34 AM
Nickel is less likely to corrode because of the finish