PDA

View Full Version : My Data on CB's in the 357sig

Bill in Ky
07-04-2014, 04:37 PM
I had a couple hundred 358 105 SWC from COWW, that I had PCed with HF red, for my M&P 9. Well the Smith wouldn't shoot them, in spite of everything I tried. Now this little SWC is straight sided like they say it needs to be for the 357sig. I sized them to .357 without slugging my barrel.

In May I found 8lb of RedDot, which is about the only pistol powder I have. It would have worked fine in my 9mm and it does fine in my 45acp but what about a 357sig?

I grabbed up 10 range brass that had already been reloaded and prepped them. I used a 40S&W carbide die then the 357sig FL die for a neck die. I measured all the brass and trimmed any that needed it.

The pistol was a Glock 23 with a Lone Wolf barrel.

I really didn't have any loading data for RedDot in this round other than what tazman gave me out of an older manual. I started with 5.5gr and went up by .1 to 6.0gr. COL was 1.090".

I loaded the remaining 5 brass with 6.0gr of RedDot and they fired flawlessly. No signs of pressure, with the CCI primers, so I reloaded the same 10 brass and fired them, I'm lucky in that my range is off the patio.

I reloaded and shot these same 10 brass 7 times. None of them needed trimming, no neck splits, the primer pockets were a little looser but all in all no problems. Accuracy was very good.

On the last loading I shot them through the chronograph and came up with an average a little over 1300 fps with no leading....

I will probably cast more of these little pills for the big bad 357sig..

Bill

Echo
07-04-2014, 06:13 PM
I had heard (and read) that the 357Sig was a bear to reload, due to it's short neck. Your report gives me the idea that maybe not... and thus might be on Echo's horizon. Looks like sharp cartridge.

dkf
07-04-2014, 08:50 PM
Most of the people who say the .357sig is a bear to reload either never reloaded it or are not very good at reloading. There are a few things you need to know. Like over crimping can buckle the caseright below neck and the right bullet profile is needed for proper neck tension while being in the proper COAL range. It requires no trimming and reloads just like a straight walled case really.