PDA

View Full Version : Hornady 444 brass

quilbilly
07-04-2014, 01:10 PM
Has anyone had experience with the Hornady 444 brass? I got some in a once fired mixed batch with my usual R-P brass and noticed the Hornady is almost .20" shorter. Apparently it is shorter to compensate for the Leverevolution bullets. I decided just to load some up with plain base 265's to the normal OAL and shoot them single-shot-only in the Marlin since I want to maintain my current crimping with the longer R-P brass. Is this the right thing to do??

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
07-04-2014, 05:21 PM
quilbilly,

That would work for me and is a good way to use the hokey gummy nose brass!!!!!!!!!

Hornady had their head in the sand on this one!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

Blammer
07-06-2014, 12:08 AM
Yea, I have some brass and will likely give it to a friend to fire form for his 309JDJ, I think that's the necked down 444 round. Anyway, I don't use it but if I did that's what I'd likely do.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
07-06-2014, 04:15 PM
My son called on the 4th, and sounds like he is pretty well fixed for triple 4 brass, but I keep my eyes open for some to again show up as I have the new Accurate Molds 275gr triple 4 bullets to have someone test.

Son is really busy, in Texas and may miles from home and who knows when he is going to be able to test his new boolits.

No or very little brass out there, but I'd like to get these boolits tested.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

bigted
07-06-2014, 04:51 PM
i have a older lyman mold that has the crimp groove too far back so the nose is too long to even work thru the action ... soooo ... i happily have some of those short brass which load perfectly for these too long boolits from the crimp groove. i think it is a Lyman ... maybe an accurate mold to ... just not sure and the mess i have from moving is still just that ... a mess. my round to it has been missplaced too so till i find it ... the mess continues.

to put it in a short sentence tho ... the hornaday brass takes a backseat to nothing ... just that those cases shortened for the spong-bob bullets need to be used for other things if the chamber is desired to be filled.

i want to get some 400 grain boolits someday and run em in my short marlin and think those short cases will be just the thing for that as well.