PDA

View Full Version : Upgrade sizer or not?

mrspradlin
07-04-2014, 10:15 AM
I currently have been using my tried and true Lyman 45 but as I sit here and think I was wondering if the changes to the 450 and 4500 are great enough to upgrade. My Lyman 45 is in great shape and all that jazz.
So tell me what you folks think.
Would you upgrade from a Lyman 45 to a 450 or 4500?

Thanks
Matt

theperfessor
07-04-2014, 12:21 PM
No. If I needed a stronger in-and-out luber I would go with the RCBS unit.

07-04-2014, 12:45 PM
I have and use a 45 and a 4500. Because of its stronger linkage, the 4500 is used for a stiffer lube mixture, and the 45 for a softer lube. If I were to ever replace the 45 (or add a third one), like theperfessor, it would be with an RCBS.

I've never used an RCBS, but its design appears to eliminate the slop that is inherent in the 450 and 4500. Then, there is the famous RCBS warranty.

VHoward
07-04-2014, 01:32 PM
Anybody use the Saeco lube/sizer? How does it compare to the Lyman and RCBS unit?

mrspradlin
07-05-2014, 10:12 AM
Thanks for the advice folks.
This old Lyman 45 is a good little press. With the lube heater she works well.

Iowa Fox
07-05-2014, 10:36 AM
Just add another one to the fleet. Keep your eyes open for a good used one and when it pops up grab it.

Rottweiler
07-05-2014, 11:00 AM
If you're going to upgrade then UPGRADE. Get a Star and don't look back. I wouldn't trade mine for 10 Lyman's RCBS's Saeco's or any others

mold maker
07-05-2014, 12:03 PM
When the linkage on my 45 gave from too much force, Lyman no longer had the original replacement parts, but for less than $15. They supplied the upgrade.
With only using soft lube and not over sizing, yours should last forever.
Like you I have two 45s (with heat and up grades), and no need to change.

HeavyMetal
07-05-2014, 12:48 PM
an upgrade from a Lyman 45?

Nice lube sizer but really an antique, LOL! Any newer sizer would be an upgrade.

The Star is top of the Line and can do incredable amounts of boolits in a short period of time and, nose sized, make them more accurately as well!

The Saeco is a close second as far as accurate sizing is concerned I particularly like the "coned" nose punch concept which both Lyman and RCBS need to figure out and upgrade thier sizers for.

While many of the lube sizers, both new and used, work well if I was going to buy a new sizer today the Star would be the first choice followed by the Saeco should I not be able to find a Star for sale!

Now having said all that: what are your needs?

If your just plinking 3 or 4 hundred a year your 45 will do what you need. A couple thousand a month buy a Star!

If your loading precision cast rifle rounds? Star or Saeco!

Please note these are recommendations from my experience and not a "bash" on any ones product as I am sure others have had a different experince than I have had with other sizers on the market.

skeettx
07-05-2014, 06:30 PM
I have 10 Lyman 45s, 2 Saecos, and 4 Stars.
Each has special niche for stuff
I use the Lymans for Rifle bullets with gas check
I use the Stars for Lots of pistol bullets, air feed and air lube :)
The Saecos for some odd bullets
Keep the Lyman 45 spitting out quality bullets and if you need more, get a Star
Mike

canyon-ghost
07-05-2014, 07:58 PM
While I can't speak for the 45, I do use a 4500. It will handle Carnuba Red with the pin type heater, other than that, I wouldn't know what you'd be missing. If your lube sizer works for you, and suits you, then by all means continue what you're doing. As far as being anything fancier or better, the heater on the 4500 is about all that I'd think would be all that great. I use the 4500 because that was available at the time I started casting. I put my reloading and cast bullet stuff together from mail order.

fredj338
07-05-2014, 08:10 PM
If you are "upgrading", then upgrade to a magma/star. By far the best lumber/sizer for non gc bullets.

blikseme300
07-06-2014, 02:22 PM
Star sizers do GC seating just fine and are not only for volume. Not needing seating stems specific to many CB profiles, such as the 2-stroke sizers require, simplifies things. I am not knocking the other types of sizers as they work well for many people.

SteveS
07-06-2014, 04:28 PM
VHoward[/B] (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/member.php?18594-VHoward)]Anybody use the Saeco lube/sizer? How does it compare to the Lyman and RCBS unit?

The only sizer I've used is the Saeco and it works just fine. The only issue I've had with it is that the dies can be hard to get and are kind of expensive.

VHoward
07-06-2014, 04:33 PM
The only sizer I've used is the Saeco and it works just fine. The only issue I've had with it is that the dies can be hard to get and are kind of expensive.

I was just curious as I don't see it discussed as much as the Lyman ot RCBS units. I personally started with a Lyman 4500 and then upgraded to a Star.

I wonder if Lathesmith here on Castboolits could make dies for the Saeco?