PDA

View Full Version : Star sizer dies

exblaster
01-20-2008, 11:06 AM
Has any one tried machining Lee sizer dies to fit a Star sizer? If it would work it seems that it would do away with the need to ream and grind the die to size.
Exblaster

Buckshot
01-21-2008, 07:15 AM
Has any one tried machining Lee sizer dies to fit a Star sizer? If it would work it seems that it would do away with the need to ream and grind the die to size.
Exblaster

.............Good thought, but it wouldn't work for a few reasons. Mainly, the Lee sizer as a push through with no lubing capacity, has only a very narrow ring of maybe 0.100" width that does the actual sizing. Not enough room to drill lube holes, or to have enough length to form an effective seal against lube bleeding past the slug.

....................Buckshot

exblaster
01-21-2008, 10:29 AM
Thank you Sir that is what I need to know before I started whittling on one.
Exblaster

HeavyMetal
01-26-2008, 11:05 PM
I also think you'll find them hardened to the point you won't be able to "whittle" on them!

toecutter
01-29-2008, 04:49 AM
I dunno about hard... I don't know if my tooling is a lot better than I appreciate but I've recut those lee dies many a time and they for the most part cut like refridgerated butter with high speed steel, and room temp butter with carbide. We turned some scrap .357" sizing dies into some for .43 mauser in pretty short order.

Swagerman
01-29-2008, 11:59 AM
454PB, opened a Lee sizer die to .432 diameter for me, its working just fine.

He also opened a Lyman 450 lube die to .432 for me, it works great lubing the bullets and sizing them.

Jim