PDA

View Full Version : Ken Waters pet loads of yesterday meets NOE molds of today

smokesahoy
07-03-2014, 03:19 PM
In Mr Waters 9mm re-update he talks of an accurate load for a 130 grain bullet over 800x 6.5 grains. Using this recipe and one of NOE's new lubeless 130 grain projectile I lined up 4 1gal milk jugs at 10 yards and pulled the trigger. The second jug had one of the square sides blown clean off to land about 4 feet away. The bullet expanded to .45-.50 and stopped in the 4th jug, leaving about 50 grains of fragmentation in the 3rd jug. The captured bullet weighed in at 80 grains.

Oh and it's accurate too. Would love to see it in ballistics gel but I'm not set up for that. If I loaded it lower I could probably control expansion down to stop fragmentation, but I need more milk jugs first. Anyhow until then if I ever change it, it is a good load for the 9mm.

I've never seen a milk jug take that much punishment

harley45
07-03-2014, 04:58 PM
Cast HPs are a blast aren't they!

buckwheatpaul
07-03-2014, 06:55 PM
Pet Loads is one of my to go to for load information......can hardly wait to try your (his) load....thanks!

tazman
07-05-2014, 08:39 PM
You might want to be a little cautious with that much 800x. The IMR load data site doesn't list more than 5.8 grains of 800x for anything let alone a 130 grain boolit.

smokesahoy
07-05-2014, 08:57 PM
Yeah I never understood how they come up with their recommendations for 800x, the pressure is way lower than it needs to be in the book loads, to the point where it barely cycles and sprays unburnt powder everywhere.

800x performs best in a stout load.

But it's your gun, your face, your fingers, your responsibility to work it up.

But at the end of the day we are still dealing with 800x, not tg.

Share your pet loads here. View these pages and use the listed data at your own risk. The load data contained within these pages can be submitted by anyone on the Internet and it is not verified to be safe.

smokesahoy
07-05-2014, 09:49 PM
Oh I should say, in support of Mr Waters' load, at this level there are no signs of excess pressure. I work extensively with 800x mostly in .40 and short of double compression which I have never tried nor feel the need to, you just can't get enough powder in the case to cause issues. It's by far my favorite pistol powder for numerous reasons this included. But I also agree with you, everyone should view anonymous loads on the internet with a healthy dose of skepticism. Thank you.

tazman
07-05-2014, 10:09 PM
I use 800x in my 9mm under 120tc boolits. It shoots quite well. In the right hands it shoots a lot better than I do.
I am running 5 grains with the 120tc and it burns clean and functions fine in my Taurus pt92.