PDA

View Full Version : % of each metal in wheel weights

konsole
07-03-2014, 03:00 PM
Does anyone have an accurate % of the metals in each of the wheel weight types?

lead clip-on (lead, tin, antimony and ?)
lead stick-on (lead and ?)
steel clip-on (iron and ?)
steel stick-on (iron and ?)
zinc clip-on (zinc and ?)
zinc stick-on (zinc and ?)

My primary focus here is on zinc because I like making zinc bars from zinc wheel weights, but since casters try to avoid them I only have a guess that they arent alloyed and are just pure zinc. Again with the steel my guess is they are just pure iron. I know with lead stick-ons they are very close to pure lead, and the lead clip-ons are about 95% pure lead with the rest being tin and antimony. I would assume some of you guys have accurate %'s for the different types?

Sgt Petro
07-03-2014, 04:59 PM
If you do a search you will find a few threads on this topic.
Short answer: No standard. I'm sure every manufacture has a "range" they try to keep the mix within.
But as WW are turned in to be recycled more or less of various metals are added or left over.

Hence the sticky on "Lead Alloy Calculators"

lylejb
07-04-2014, 04:42 AM
check this thread

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?229666-Stick-On-WW-XrF-Data

and the one it links to.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?213625-First-time-using-sawdust

Defcon-One
07-05-2014, 03:02 PM
COWW: A good guess is 96.52% Lead, 3% Antimony, 0.29% Tin, 0.14% Asenic, 0.05% Copper.

SOWW: A good guess is 99.75% Lead, 0.25% Tin.

Zinc WW: Zinc, no idea how pure!

Steel WW: Steel, no idea how pure!

It varies quite a bit!

******FYI******

My last XRF Reading on COWW was:

Pb = 96.19%
Sn = 0.53%
Sb = 2.85%
Cu = 0.20%
As = 0.23%

konsole
07-06-2014, 05:45 PM
I wonder if there is any need to alloy the zinc wheel weights? My guess is lead COWW are alloyed because a lead alloy weight thats slightly harder then pure lead works better then pure lead, even though I cant think of a reason why pure lead doesnt work as well. Zinc is alot harder then lead (so I imagine it doesnt need hardening for wheel weights) and I've poured zinc bars from zinc wheel weights and seen no issue with the bar coming out smooth and uniform.

RogerDat
07-07-2014, 08:29 PM
I have some from the factory zinc ingots that were checked with a gun at the scrap yard. 96% zinc 4% copper so there could be alloy involved. Can't cast them with lead so I use them for weights when I glue wood. Breaks my heart when I see what looks like a lead bar go "tink" when it hits the floor and I know it's not lino but zinc.

Konsole you may be interested to know that the ingots all have a very slight depression on the bottom, I noticed this slight dishing in on some other large cast zinc objects at the scrap yard. I think that depression may act as something of an indication that a hard cast item is not lead since I have not seen that same style of depression on cast lead.