PDA

View Full Version : Pewter tin content

rollmyown
07-03-2014, 03:36 AM
I've had a bit of a pewter hunt today. I got about 8lbs for $9.50.

About half is Malaysian Selangor pewter The other half is marked made in Melbourne - Fine Pewter
Both are quite soft, I passed on harder stuff, pieces with no reference to pewter or Selangor, or anything that was difficult to bend by hand.

How did I go? Any idea of the % of tin?

Beesdad
07-03-2014, 10:07 AM
Most modern Pewter is approximately 90% Tin.. You did good.

i pass on anything that is not marked.

dubber123
07-03-2014, 05:00 PM
imashooter2 is the resident expert, and I believe he told me most American and European pewter is about 94% tin. Asian pewter is higher. I got some Holland made pewter last week stamped 94%

jsizemore
07-03-2014, 05:14 PM
I had some plates that were marked Selangor and Pura that were identical except the stamp. Both made in Malaysia. Very soft, very heavy and when you bent them double you could see and hear the tin cry. 1/4" thick plates soft as Lenox Sterling Lead-free wire solder. As close to pure tin as I've seen.

imashooter2
07-03-2014, 08:26 PM
imashooter2 is the resident expert, and I believe he told me most American and European pewter is about 94% tin. Asian pewter is higher. I got some Holland made pewter last week stamped 94%

Yep. 94% is pretty common these days. Asian pewter can go as high as 98%. Royal Selangor is often 97%, although they do make some lower percentage items.

Defcon-One
07-09-2014, 12:16 AM
I see a lot of Salisbury Pewter here. There website says it is 93% Tin, the rest is mostly Antimony and a few trace elements. Great for bullets!

Lead Bandit
07-12-2014, 10:29 PM
Just over $1 per pound. Id say you did good. Ive seen tin go as high as $10 per lb.

leadman
07-12-2014, 10:39 PM
I bought a pewter duck that separated top to bottom and another piece my friend found that had similar brass scroll work soldered on it. Both had more lead than other pewter based on the color and weight and they bent very easy. Did not have the same color even after melted down as other pewter. Was made in China.

The OP did very well in his purchase.