PDA

View Full Version : RCBS Auto Priming Tool

VHoward
07-02-2014, 09:23 PM
OK. So people are talking about their hand priming tools. About which ones work the best and so forth. I have a Lee Ergo Prime and while it works with a few glitches now and then, I just don't like it. The fact that it takes special shell holders is annoying.

Last week I decided to try RCBS's Auto Priming Tool. It is the bench mounted one with primer tubes.
https://shop.rcbs.com/WebConnect/MainServlet?storeId=webconnect&catalogId=webconnect&langId=en_US&action=ProductDisplay&screenlabel=index&productId=2886&route=C06J030
I actually ordered it from Optics Planet through their ebay store. They had it listed for $89.99 and had a make offer button. So I offered $85 and free shipping. They accepted it and I paid and they shipped. I got it today.
All I can say is that it is a world above the ergo prime and is easy to use. Every primer seated was seated to the proper depth and it uses standard shell holders that go in a modern single stage press. Very nice. After I got used to it, I can prime with it faster than I ever did with the ergo prime. It's a keeper.

David2011
07-02-2014, 10:02 PM
Enjoy! I've been using one since 1982. It's a nice tool. Mine is mounted on a piece of 1/2"x6"x6" aircraft ply from the hobby shop and has my standard bench mounting hole pattern in it. I can secure it with 2 1/4" socket head capscrews in seconds or move it and mount something else in the same place. There are 3 sets of brass threaded inserts in my bench top all set to my mounting hole pattern. It's nothing special- just some hardware store brass threaded inserts all set in the same pattern with a master plate of steel that I drilled on a milling machine with a digital readout for repeatability. Maybe I should do a post on the mounting system.

David

David

Mike Kerr
07-02-2014, 10:06 PM
I am glad you like it. Not long ago there was a thread here on Cast Boolits which provoked a lot of discussion regarding whether the bench loader you purchased was still being offered by RCBS. I see from your link that it is still in the product line. Which I think is a good thing because coupled with RCBS' APS strip loader, both types of bench/press operated priming tools are available.

texassako
07-02-2014, 10:25 PM
I really like mine. It is an older one that doesn't do the automatic primer thing, but RCBS sent me most of the parts for it to be converted for free. I like the feel of it placing the primer versus a lot of other tools. The only issue I have is a bit of interference between some shell holders with the primer seating rod. The rod occasionally stays up when I go to lower it unless I give it a wiggle.

VHoward
07-02-2014, 10:27 PM
I really like mine. The only issue I have is a bit of interference between some shell holders with the primer seating rod. The rod occasionally stays up when I go to lower it unless I give it a wiggle.

Mine does that with Lee shell holders, but not with RCBS shell holders.

novalty
07-03-2014, 11:21 AM
The RCBS Automatic Bench Priming tool is one of the my favorite reloading tools. Where I have arthritis my wrists cannot withstand repeated primer seating on a hand tool. The RCBS Automatic Bench Priming tool seats quickly, easily and still gives great feel for seating primers. I've convinced 2 family members who had used hand primers to switch and they have raved about the RCBS Bench primer.

dale2242
07-04-2014, 08:24 AM
It`s the only way I prime my brass for my single stage loading.
I have used mine for so many years I can`t remember when I bought it.
If the priming rod sticks , try cleaning the hole through the shell holder, the priming rod, and the hole the priming rod sits in.
Cleaning solved my sticky rod problem.....dale

youngmman
07-04-2014, 09:18 AM
Been using mine for at least 20 years and love it but NOT the one using the primer strips.

blikseme300
07-04-2014, 10:03 AM
Mine does that with Lee shell holders, but not with RCBS shell holders.

I used to have the same problem but it was an easy fix. I used the dreaded Dremel with a fine conical stone and smoothed the 90* top edge of the hole in the center of the die.

I started using the RCBS bench mount priming tool as I could no longer use the Lee hand primer due to carpal tunnel surgery. This unit is the bees knees as I have always preferred to prime brass off press as part of brass preparation prior to loading.

lbaize3
07-05-2014, 12:31 PM
Well, you guys have convinced me. I have purchased one of the RCBS priming tools and it will be here Monday. Got three gallons of 30-30, 1K of 22 TCM, 1K of 32-20 and various sundry other bottle neck cartridges that I size and prime before loading them on one of my progressive presses.

Rory McCanuck
07-05-2014, 03:54 PM
Got one just a short while ago.
Works well, once I got it properly cleaned, and buffed the primer hole in a couple shellholders.
Stopped all the sticky post problems.

dromia
07-06-2014, 04:59 AM
I've had mine for many years and it is indeed a fine priming tool.

Jim_P
08-05-2014, 10:05 PM
Because of this thread, I bought one. I've primed about 400+ case with it now. And I love it. Quick and easy to use. The fact the tubes hold a full tray of primer (100) just makes it that much better.

I've primed both pistol and rifle cases (40 S&W and 45/70) and both function just as easy. The feel of the seating is perfect for me at least.

Thanks guys!

VHoward
08-06-2014, 12:44 AM
Glad I could enable you! :-)
Happy priming.

Colt1927
12-06-2015, 11:00 PM
I got my RCBS bench mount to replace one of the early Forster co-ax primer seaters. I've only primed about 100 cases and about the 40 mark started having issues with the primer rod hanging up in the unit, it has developed a ring around it about a quarter of an inch that hangs up. I polished it out and it came back. I'm hoping that once it wears enough of the rod away that it will stop.

rodsvet
12-07-2015, 12:27 AM
I did like blikseme300 when I got mine. A light touch to bevel (polish) the top of the hole in each of my shell holders solved the problem completely. It's a great tool. I hang a clothe strip from a shelf above the unit that contacts the top 1-2 inches of the primer tube when it tilts back and there is no bouncing of the tube, it stops dead until I push the lever down to get a new primer. Rod

Hardcast416taylor
12-07-2015, 01:35 PM
I purchased the original model unit that uses tubes for the primers the first year they came out. I have it mounted on a 1/2"x6"Wx10"L pine board that I use a :C" clamp to hold it on my bench for use. I have several makes of hand units, but tend to use this old war horse for most priming.Robert

sandman228
12-08-2015, 12:23 PM
I bought an rcbs bench mounted priming tool a couple years ago when I started having issues with a few guns of mine not firing rounds that were primed with a hand priming tool . the gun shop I bought it from puts the year he put it on the shelf on top corner of his price tags it had been sitting on his shelf since the mid 1990's and still had the mid 90's price on it of 39.99 so I snatched it up ,its a great tool my only complaint is the small primer tube only holds 64 primers (im not sure about the large) it just seems like an odd amount to me I plan on buying the larger tubes that hold 100 primers eventually .

ioon44
12-09-2015, 08:40 AM
I have used the RCBS Automatic Bench Priming tool for about 30 years and use the primer tubes for my Dillon 550. I keep it on a 4"X 10" X 3/4" plywood board and use a 6" C- clamp to move it around.

rodsvet
12-09-2015, 07:40 PM
ioon44, did you drill new holes farther up on the primer tube. The clip that retains the primers in the tubes for my 650 doesn't allow the tube to fully go down into the arm. They fit but have to drop a little way when you pull the clip. The tubes that came with my tool hold 100 but I was just curious. Rod

ioon44
12-10-2015, 08:33 AM
Yes, I drilled new holes and they actually hold 97 primers plus or minus one, so I just hand feed the extra ones.

abunaitoo
12-14-2015, 03:16 AM
I got both the press mounted, and hand, RCBS strip prime when they first came out.
I like them both.
Never tried the tube one.

flashhole
12-18-2015, 05:16 PM
Congrats on your new tool. I'm old school. I have two of the bench mount priming tools but they don't have the primer tubes. They look like mini presses. One each dedicated to small and large primers. No way I would part with them even though I have to load one primer at a time.

W.R.Buchanan
12-20-2015, 03:12 AM
I have several Nutcracker Prime tools including a RCBS Universal. I bought one of these last year and have kicked myself for not buying one 20 years ago. I can do 50 rifle cases in about 3 minutes. It is effortless.

Had the problem with the push rod hang up and beveled the hole on the shell holders. The shell holders are all hard so either a carbide countersink or a grinding burr are needed to break that edge.

Put a couple of pieces of masking tape on the face of the base that the tube holder hits. It softens the blow and makes the tool run smoother. I also wrapped a piece of tape around the primer tube so it can't go as deep into the holder. This is another area that causes hang ups. Just raising it up a few thousandths works wonders.

I mounted mine on a 6x6 piece of Aluminum Plate and I clamp it to the bench during use, and back in the cabinet after.

Best priming tool on the market and never heard a bad word yet.

Randy