PDA

View Full Version : New to the forum and first post

hedgehorn
01-20-2008, 01:15 AM
I am new here and trying to get started casting for my 9mm and 45acp. I have a question about lubing. I have the molds and a pot but I dont have a lube/sizer. I was going to buy a sizer that I could use in my Rockchucker but what about lubing? Do I have to get one of those sizers that lube or is there an easy way to do it after sizing? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

dromia
01-20-2008, 05:51 AM
Welcome aboard hedgehorn. :drinks:

The Lee push through dies will work fine in your RCBS, the Lee dies come with a bottle of Liquid Alox which should work fine in your calibres.

Use the lube sparingly and thin with white spirits if its too thick.

When you run out of the Lee stuff replenish from Lar45's LsStuff link at the bottom of the page, Lars sells the same stuff for a lot less.

There's a thread currently running on using liquid alox, its here:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=23856

Good luck mate, if your not sure on anything casting then ask someone here will have an answer for you.:-D

NSP64
01-20-2008, 12:17 PM
Welcome. First thing you need to do is slug the barrels. get or make a boolit out of pure lead and pound it through the barrels. you can then measue the widest portions of the 'slugs'. this will be the groove measurement. then you can order a lee sizer that is .001 larger then measured for a good fit.
you can use the search for 'lubes'

hedgehorn
01-20-2008, 12:53 PM
Thanks dromia Good reading there and thanks on the heads up on where to buy the liquid lube. There is allot of good information here, I have been reading for some time now but I am sure you will be seeing more posts from myself in the near future. :drinks:

Marshal Kane
01-21-2008, 10:19 PM
You can also check out the "Lube/sizer recommendations" thread to see what others recommend in a lubrisizer tool which will size your bullets and lubricate them at the same time. This tool, uses bullet lube (unlike liquid Alox) which needs no drying time. Best wishes!

davwingman
01-23-2008, 10:28 PM
Welcome Hedgehorn! I have only been here a short while myself & I sure have gotten a lot of good info here. Seems like no matter what the ? someone knows the answer.

hedgehorn
01-23-2008, 10:31 PM
Thanks for the welcome davwingman and I would have to agree. I have been doing quite a bit of reading here and there is a ton of good information and so many people that are willing to share knowledge and experience. This is a great forum!