PDA

View Full Version : Junior Doughty

Pawpaw
07-02-2014, 08:01 PM
Junior Doughty, the long-time webmaster of Castbullet.com (and forum member here) has passed away.

I just got off the phone with Junior's daughter. Junior died at home, yesterday, of a heart attack. Junior was 10 years older than me, so he would have been 70 years old.

The world will be a less interesting place with Junior gone.

Visitation is Friday from 5-10 pm at Hixson Brother's in Jena, LA. Funeral will be Saturday.

RIP, Junior.

FrankG
07-02-2014, 08:13 PM
Sorry to hear that . I always enjoyed his posts and do it yourself way of doing things .

JeffinNZ
07-02-2014, 08:24 PM
Junior was a decent fellow in my experience. He conducted himself well regardless of the way others here elected to treat. RIP Junior.

btroj
07-02-2014, 08:27 PM
Good bye Junior. May not have always agreed with him but he was always a gentleman and contributed much to this site.

we are diminished

Reaper
07-02-2014, 08:28 PM
Condolences to his family. He was a good old boy in the best sense of the phrase. Made do with what was at hand. Godspeed.

Loudenboomer
07-02-2014, 08:39 PM
Had fun with Junior. Enjoyed his posts and his website. He will be missed. My condolences to the family.

Duckiller
07-02-2014, 10:04 PM
I was born the same year as Junior. Way too early to die. He will be missed.

Pb2au
07-02-2014, 10:17 PM
That is a shame. It was his website that got me going in casting, which led me to here. That is quite a bit of knowledge I gained from the efforts of one gentleman.
Rest easy sir, you are on a new path now.

castalott
07-02-2014, 10:30 PM
I liked his posts and his way of doing things. A good man that his family will miss. We didn't agree politically but I would still call him 'brother'. Sincere Prayers for him and his Family.

Dale

waksupi
07-03-2014, 01:56 AM
Aw, jeez, I really liked Jr. We didn't agree politically, but he was intelligent enough to argue his point, unlike most democrats. Once we got past politics, we had a lot in common, and he had a lot of interesting things to learn. I will miss him.

nanuk
07-03-2014, 07:12 AM
any time we lose someone with real world knowledge, it becomes more apparent that somewhere that knowledge needs to be archived and never lost
I hope that someone carries on in his stead.

he had a unique vision on shooting that I really enjoyed reading about.

it is the different approaches others take that make this site an excellent resource

Thank you Jr for adding to MY knowledge base and the hours of entertaining reading.
I will miss your input.

rest now

Hardcast416taylor
07-03-2014, 11:53 AM
It was lightly raining here this morning, after reading of Juniors passing I realised the Heavens were quietly weeping about his passing. Rest easy old Son.Robert

nekshot
07-03-2014, 01:19 PM
I trully am saddened by his departure. He always was a unique individuall with his politics but I always enjoyed his input and reading the projects he accomplished. May God's peace be with the family and I am a richer person for encountering and reading your fathers input!

Iowa Fox
07-03-2014, 01:34 PM
Sad News. I enjoyed his posts and just got a bag of screws from him about 6 weeks ago. RIP Junior. Every day is a gift for us for mature guys.

bart55
07-03-2014, 01:43 PM
I am saddened by the news ,I always enjoyed his posts and as with a lot of veteran casters and do it yourselfers there was always something to learn .Not too much older than me ,so as said before me be thankful for each day and make the most of it .

schutzen
07-03-2014, 10:19 PM
Like many here, my politics are opposite of Junior's but he was always willing to debate rationally. Junior was a good man with a fine mind and I will miss him very much. My condolences to the family. Steve

Newtire
07-03-2014, 10:28 PM
I hope they have a range up there where he can shoot out of his bedroom window and places he can go to out in the woods and listen to his favorite music and drink beer while sitting next to the prettiest gal in the place. I enjoyed reading his posts too.

RayinNH
07-04-2014, 10:12 AM
Sorry to hear of Junior's passing. I enjoyed reading his material and always learned something.
http://castbullet.com/

His bio http://www.deltablues.net/bio.html

His passion and probably reason for why he thought the way he did. http://www.deltablues.net/

wallenba
07-04-2014, 10:27 AM
This is the first I heard. I'm saddened to hear it. He was a big Blues fan, as I am too. I visited his website, and enjoyed his reports on the local 'joints' he enjoyed. He fought his way out of a severe health crisis in the past and was a strong and determined minded person. Yet when it is time, the Lord calls us home. I will miss him.

sundog
07-04-2014, 11:17 AM
What Ric said (#10).

Maven
07-04-2014, 01:15 PM
Saddened to learn of Junior's passing. He was an interesting and very resourceful fellow whom I wish I'd met. RIP, Junior!

357maximum
07-04-2014, 02:07 PM
WOW, that sucks...R.I.P Junior I was opposite his political beliefs too, but my F.I.L shares his views and we get along swimmingly....for the most part.

TECH-IES...is there a way to make sure the Frugal Outdoorsman is saved for posterity????.......it deserves to be read by all...and his methods are gonna be more in "demand" in the future I think, plus it is just good reading.

Mk42gunner
07-04-2014, 10:28 PM
My condolences to his family, he will be missed.

Jr. had several projects on his website that made you think "Wow, that makes sense."

Robert

Pawpaw
07-05-2014, 09:27 AM
I talked to his sister yesterday at the wake. She lived next door to him on their family property. Told me that Junior had been feeling fine, and had been to his cardiologist the week prior, got a clean bill of health. He was complaining a little bit about the arthritis in his knees, but was otherwise fine. Then, he fell over. They called an ambulance, got him to the hospital, but his heart had given-out, and it was over. Junior was healthy and happy right up till the moment that he wasn't. If you've got to go (and we all do), that's the way to do it.

Pawpaw
07-05-2014, 09:31 AM
TECH-IES...is there a way to make sure the Frugal Outdoorsman is saved for posterity????.......it deserves to be read by all...and his methods are gonna be more in "demand" in the future I think, plus it is just good reading.
I also talked to his daughter. She's got all his usernames and passwords, and next week, she's going to start maintaining the websites and making sure that the domains still work. I know that he paid for his domains yearly, in April, so they won't go dark quickly. We've got about nine months before domain registration, and his daughter has the passwords to get it done.

richhodg66
07-05-2014, 09:37 AM
Sorry to hear this, I always enjoyed his posts, lots of good information in them. Guys like that are such a wealth of knowledge and seem to be getting fewer and farther between quickly.

Shuz
07-05-2014, 09:54 AM
R.I.P. Junior--Shuz

Pawpaw
07-05-2014, 07:59 PM
We buried him this afternoon, with a wonderful tribute to his life. Family, friends and associates spoke lovingly about him and the way he touched the world from a single computer with dial-up internet access. (Yeah, he used dial-up till the last). Couple of local blues musicians showed up and provided live music during the funeral. It was a wonderful tribute to his life, and a good send-off for his family.

dragonrider
07-05-2014, 10:35 PM
RIP Junior. You will be missed.

Three44s
07-05-2014, 10:42 PM
Junior will be sorely missed ........ his insight and wit are evident in his writings and muses .........

RIP Junior

Three 44s

357maximum
07-06-2014, 01:54 PM
I also talked to his daughter. She's got all his usernames and passwords, and next week, she's going to start maintaining the websites and making sure that the domains still work. I know that he paid for his domains yearly, in April, so they won't go dark quickly. We've got about nine months before domain registration, and his daughter has the passwords to get it done.

Thank You...please tell his Daughter that a guy she don't know on the internet sends his condolences and thanks her for her efforts.

Goatwhiskers
07-06-2014, 07:37 PM
I was saddened first by the loss of one of us. Then it became more real when I read his bio and the other reference about his passion. Hadn't visited The Frugal Outdoorsman in a while but had really enjoyed it. He will be missed, and I am truly sorry that I never made the trip to Tullos to meet him, it's not that far. I think I would have liked to have known him. GW

Rick N Bama
07-07-2014, 07:55 PM
I didn't care at all for Junior's Politics, but dang if I didn't like Junior! We shared several PMs over the years & I even bought a few things from him. Smart man, smarter than most of us gave him credit for being. RIP Junior, you'll be missed!

MT Gianni
07-09-2014, 12:07 AM
I just saw this. Goodbye Junior until we meet again. i enjoyed your posts and shooting articles.

WILCO
07-09-2014, 11:03 AM
Sorry to hear of Junior's passing. I enjoyed reading his material and always learned something.
http://castbullet.com/

His bio http://www.deltablues.net/bio.html

His passion and probably reason for why he thought the way he did. http://www.deltablues.net/

I was stunned to read of his passing.
Didn't like his politics, but enjoyed his other posts.
Here's some more info from his other site: http://castbullet.com/junior.htm

Hamish
07-14-2014, 08:13 PM
It just hit me.

Will Junior's rifle with the screwdriver handle for a bolt get passed down to someone who will appreciate it?

I never got a chance to tell him how much I enjoyed his story about crawling through the thicket and finding the open spot, but at least I got to talk to him a fair bit.

Typecaster
07-15-2014, 10:21 AM
Very sad news; he was only 10 years older than me. I was just looking at a PM where we were prioritizing things in our lives…like grandkids. We were never able to get together on one of my visits to New Orleans. Now I wish I'd scheduled things differently so I could have traveled north to see him. RIP, Junior1942. I think you had your head on straight.

hammerhead357
07-22-2014, 01:57 PM
Well I guess I am the last to learn of his passing. R I P Junior.. I enjoyed his posts and his web site.

sthwestvictoria
07-25-2014, 06:22 PM
Vale Junior Doughty. Very sorry to hear. I had really enjoyed the frugaloutdoorsman (http://www.castbullet.com/)and article like the heartattack rifle (http://www.castbullet.com/shooting/heart.htm), $2 peep sight (http://www.castbullet.com/makeit/rr.htm) and campfire casting (http://www.castbullet.com/reload/campcast.htm)

curdog
07-26-2014, 10:48 AM
I just read the news. I just ate some cathead biskets from one of Juniors recipes. I really enjoyed all of his writings, they took me back to a simpler life many years ago when i was a kid and stayed with my grandparents in Flora La. Sad day on this end. Rest in Peace Junior.

junkbug
07-27-2014, 04:11 PM
RIP Junior. I will really miss you.

NYBushBro
07-29-2014, 09:30 PM

I agree (and I think that Junior would too...)

It might behoove the 'powers that be' on this forum to contact Junior's family about this... and perhaps put "The Frugal Outdoorsman" archives under the umbrella of this forum.

(Haven't they already done this with the Hensley & Gibbs website?)

God bless you, Junior... you will most definitely be missed.

Griff
07-31-2014, 12:50 PM
I don't visit here as much as I used to... and to read of this just plain saddens me. Jr. was one of the good guys. He will be missed, his knowledge and info is still pertinent and important.

Larry Gibson
07-31-2014, 01:05 PM
I didn't know about it either as I didn't recognize the name and connect it with his login. Was in the middle of testing his bullets and loads for him in the 7.62x39. I will finish the test and post the results. So far he had a couple pretty good loads for the close range hog shooting he wanted to do with his SKS. R.I.P. Junior.

Larry Gibson

Uncle Ji
08-02-2014, 02:06 AM
Wow this is quite a shocker, I have been away and out of contact. Junior was an amazing fellow and I considered him my friend in spite of our differences. Love his Frugal Outdoorsman website, and I made a few purchases of his unique products my favorite being his saddle-ring trapper sling which will have extra special meaning now. He invited me to fish and hunt on his homestead and I wish my finances allowed such a trip, it would have been unforgetable. Rest in peace my friend, aloha a hui hou.

plmitch
08-02-2014, 12:53 PM
Sad to hear of him passing. He seemed to be the voice of reason in most discussions here.

DLCTEX
08-03-2014, 06:41 PM
I just read of his passing. He will be missed here. I will cast some boolits with the mould I got from him a few yrears ago and use them on deer this season.

smokeywolf
08-03-2014, 07:05 PM
Cast Boolits has lost another valuable member of the family. I too differed in my political views from those of Junior, but he always stuck to his guns and supported his opinions with rational thought. His contributions to casting, reloading, shooting will be missed.

You won't be forgotten Junior

Murphy
08-04-2014, 07:26 AM
I am just now finding this thread.

I, like many others didn't agree with Juniors politics. Usually, if you don't agree with another mans politcs but share many other things in common then it's best to just not discuss it. In the end, both parties wind up losing.

That being said, Junior was a good one for sure. He was always willing to pitch in and help a person through whatever issue they had. I learned a few things from the man and I'm grateful for his experience and sharing.

Rest in peace Junior.

Murphy

Ajax
08-04-2014, 01:59 PM
RIP Junior you will be missed.

Andy

Artful
08-09-2014, 01:45 AM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/0b/US_halfstaff_sunset.jpg
Our world just got a little darker as his light is now gone.
Junior1942 - You Sir, brightened our world, and will leave a place that can never be filled in our community.

R.I.P. Junior

Uncle R.
08-09-2014, 09:40 AM
Rest In Peace Junior.
<
You were a type of man that's growing ever more rare - a "redneck" good old boy with an education, a curious and active mind, wide-ranging knowledge and calm self confidence. I learned much from you. You were a consistent example of a proper gentleman's behavior on this board, and I suspect in all aspects of life.
<
Where you are now I pray there be good companions, cold beer, and great live music - and may all the automobiles vibrate at highway speeds because the roads are lined with lost wheel weights.
<
Uncle R.

badgeredd
08-09-2014, 05:52 PM
Another fine contributor to the site has left us. RIP Junior.

Edd

10-x
08-09-2014, 08:28 PM
Well,Junior and I did not agree on politics but he was a true Gentleman and outdoorsman. I bought some stuff from his online store and pm'ed a few times. Condolences to his family, Cast Boolits has lost another good one. Seems many of us are getting up there in age, never know when one's number is up. RIP Junior.

rking22
08-09-2014, 08:50 PM
RIP Junior, I never met Junior but kept a constant watch on his websight because his writings always made me smile. Always ment to contact him and tell him so, my loss , I think we would have gotten along in a fine way. Hope the beer is cold and the music pure.

SSGOldfart
08-09-2014, 08:56 PM
SAD RIP JUNIOR, UNTIL next time my friend

PatMarlin
08-19-2014, 11:39 PM
Awe damn... just read this. What a great guy. I will miss him. Rest in peace JR.

JSnover
08-20-2014, 05:28 PM
I loved his projects. I don't know if anyone ever told him 'you can't do that.' If they did, he didn't listen, just went ahead and did it.
Thanks for some great ideas, Junior.

Down South
08-20-2014, 10:46 PM
Well, I missed this until today. Jr lived not far from me. I'm sorry to hear of his passing.

303Guy
08-29-2014, 05:13 AM
I'm saddened by the news of his passing. I've only just learned of it. Rest In Peace, Junior. You will be missed.

izzyjoe
08-30-2014, 07:10 PM
Junior was a great person, you could tell it in his writings. I found his website years ago, about the same time I started reloading, and casting boolits, and I really enjoyed his how to articles, and I've made and used a lot of things he taught. He was a great story teller, that will be greatly missed around the camp fire, and on here. Ol' Mossy Horns is waiting on you! RIP Junior.

Suo Gan
08-30-2014, 11:27 PM
Thank you Junior, you made the world a better place. I will remember you.

Lefty Red
08-31-2014, 08:34 AM
I just saw this. Jr and Dennis has been a fountain of information for me and others that started their journey on casting and old calibers.
Jerry

pricedo
09-01-2014, 01:08 PM
I have one of his innovative rifle slings.
Didn't know him personally but he sounds like a solid citizen who was well thought of by all who knew him.
Condolenses to his family.
If he was a member of this forum he will live on in his posts.
I don't know what his CB handle was.

obssd1958
09-01-2014, 04:34 PM
If he was a member of this forum he will live on in his posts.
I don't know what his CB handle was.

Here, on this forum, he was Junior1942.
A link to his profile and a way to go back through what he posted here:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/member.php?201-Junior1942

Down South
09-01-2014, 06:33 PM
I never met Junior although he only lived about 20 miles from me at one time. My wife knew him and my daughter knew his sister.
My wife knew about everybody that had an animal, dog, Kat, cow, horse, snake, bird, etc. She worked for the Vet in Jena for 20+ years.
My daughter knew his sister through the public school system. My daughter has been a fourth grade teacher for a number of years.
Jr was an interesting fellow at best. We have had a few conversations here about casting & reloading. I had always planned on getting over to visit with him some day.

RIP Jr.

pmeisel
09-04-2014, 08:29 PM
I haven't been on the board in some time, and am sorry to hear of this. I admired Junior's writings on his website and his spirit. RIP Junior, I looked up to you.

dlbarr
09-05-2014, 10:38 PM
Man, I just recommended his "Junior Lube" to somebody on the forum today. I "met" Junior for the first time over on the H&R/NEF forum (which was discontinued years ago). He's really the one responsible for getting me interested in BPCR & reloading in general. A very interesting fellow, sad to hear of his passing.

Cary Gunn
10-10-2014, 06:22 AM
I just joined this board today, after years of quietly reading the many Castboolit forums, trying to absorb a little of the wealth of knowledge available here. So, I was sort thinking it was a good day, since I finally joined what I had previously enjoyed only as a visitor.

And then, months after the sad fact, I learned of Junior's death and a good day rapidly darkened. He was not just a source of firearms knowledge and woods lore, but was pure pleasure as a man of words. His writings on our forums here, and elsewhere on the net, were always interesting, usually right-on-the-money, and often worth a smile. I really wish I'd known him in person, rather than just through his letters, but I'm still grateful just for that.

I have no doubt Junior's pathway to the Pearly Gates was well lubed. It's my guess he slid easily through on a film of good ol' country lard -- mixed with a few other special ingredients.

Happy trails, Junior.

casper_zip
11-08-2014, 10:46 AM
I will really miss ole Junior. Bought stuff from him, read, and reread his articles too many times to remember. RIP man, you were great in my book.

Best,

casper_zip

badbob454
01-18-2015, 08:37 PM
i wondered why i haven't hear from him in a while , i too loved the articles he wrote , wish i had a collection of them ... my condolences to his family .... he is, and will be missed .

KimmieDG
06-02-2015, 05:02 PM
My name is Kim Doughty-Ganey. I'm Junior's only child. I can't begin to put into words what everyone's kind words mean to me. I had attempted to read through these posts after Daddy died and simply couldn't make it through them. Yesterday marked the 11 month anniverserary of Daddy dying...I sat down today intent upon remembering him. I know that people sometimes feel that perhaps a quick blurb on a forum doesn't mean much, but today I can tell you that they meant the world to me. We never see our parents through the worlds' eyes...thank you for letting me in and letting me see him briefly through your memories.

I have continued to keep Daddy's website, castbullet.com active and plan to continue to do so. I make NO claims that I have a clue about reloading.....so I won't be updating the articles with my writings. I do plan to continue to offer the things he sold on the site. I find it comforting being surrounded by the screws and buttons and rivets...the labels in his handwriting make me smile as I fill the orders.

I have had issues with the deltablues.net site but am working on getting it back up and running as well.

Again, I want to thank each one of you who took the time to remember Daddy. He would have been touched.

KimmieDG
06-02-2015, 05:04 PM
Dennis-
I wanted to publicly thank you for sharing this information for me. Daddy dying was a bit overwhelming and I know that I would have never thought to let the people here know he had passed away.
Thank you for the thought to do this and for your friendship.
Kim

MT Gianni
06-02-2015, 09:07 PM
Thank you for posting. As I am sure you know, your father was a man of strong opinions and he wasn't shy about sharing them. He also was not shy about sharing personal experiences which endeared him to many of us.

Artful
06-02-2015, 09:18 PM
No one misses their parent like their child, but you can be assured we all miss him as well. He always brought a unique view to whatever I had written about, and I miss that greatly.

Rustyleee
06-02-2015, 09:28 PM
Kimmie, I'm glad you have your father's things to remember him by. I still visit his site from time to time. He will be missed by many.
My own father passed away in 1973 and I still miss him.
God Bless,

castalott
06-02-2015, 09:43 PM
Thank You for the post and update. There is something Spiritual about so many remembering someone who was so good. May your days be filled with fond memories and May Junior be with God.

Dale

dlbarr
06-02-2015, 10:21 PM
Kim,
In my humble opinion, your Dad was one of the most interesting personalities of the greater shooting/hunting community anywhere. I always enjoyed reading his comments although I must admit that, unlike others here, his political opinions totally escaped me...I don't know anything about that side of him.

When I come to this forum and look over the "unread posts" I skip most of them and then go in search of stuff specifically of interest to me. But today, when I saw your Dad's thread rise to the top again, I went right to it and read it through again. Thanks for showing up here to see us all....we miss your Dad, but not like you do. God bless you & your family.

DeputyDog25
07-04-2015, 09:54 PM
So sorry to hear that, condolences to the family and prayers for comfort and peace.

trooperdan
07-25-2021, 11:51 AM
I was remembering an old friend here today so I went back and read some of Junior's articles. Those of us that didn't know him should make an effort to find and read all of Junior1942's stories and postings He was gone way too soon and a wealth of knowledge went with him, he was a simple man, a "good old boy" that made things work with what he had. His continues to be missed to this dan and for many more.

FLINTNFIRE
07-25-2021, 03:41 PM
I also enjoyed his posts and stories , him and others are missed , others that I have not seen posting in awhile either one wonders about .

pressonregardless
07-25-2021, 07:20 PM
I still use his biscuit recipe.

dlbarr
07-26-2021, 04:48 PM
Yes, he was a good guy. Wish I had his recipe for boolit lube.

pressonregardless
07-26-2021, 07:09 PM
Bullet Lubes - here are a few Jr used.

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?13732-Bullet-Lube&p=155926&viewfull=1#post155926

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?26524-Just-the-facts-Lube-recipes&p=293583&viewfull=1#post293583

http://www.castbullet.com/makeit/lube.htm

dlbarr
07-28-2021, 12:16 PM
Bullet Lubes - here are a few Jr used.

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?13732-Bullet-Lube&p=155926&viewfull=1#post155926

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?26524-Just-the-facts-Lube-recipes&p=293583&viewfull=1#post293583

http://www.castbullet.com/makeit/lube.htm

Hey Thank You!