PDA

View Full Version : Ideal vs. Lyman- Is the washer the same?

walkswithsticks
07-02-2014, 04:58 PM
I recently picked up an old Ideal 451 055 double Cavity to use with 44 caliber percussion revolvers. It is missing the washer beneath the sprue plate.
Looking at the distance and the thickness of the washer on recent Lyman molds, I have to question if the same washer fits?

thanks,
Bill

9.3X62AL
07-02-2014, 05:49 PM
I have seen "wave" washers and "split" washers (resemble a hardware store lock washer) on Lyman mould assemblies of varying ages. A phone call to a Lyman customer service rep and some dimensional specs might yield info.

.22-10-45
07-02-2014, 05:55 PM
Same thickness on lock washers..the only difference I have noted was the old Ideal/early Lyman washer had the sharp ends of lock washer beveled so as not to dig into plate..just one of the little extras gone by the wayside due to bottom line.

walkswithsticks
07-02-2014, 07:33 PM
I think I may just go to the hardware first. A lock washer and a file applied to the sharp ends might just do the trick.
thanks

94Doug
07-03-2014, 12:23 AM
I have some if you need them. PM me. Not really a hardware item, but you can get them in bulk on ebay and the like. I use the original with a wave washer to save wear on the sprue plate. Really old Ideal's used a larger lock washer that was really awful.

Doug